maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Auckland Champs 2012 - no certificates/medals

Show Profile  comatose Posted: 10 October 2012, 4:17 AM  
Seen in the programme:

"NO PRIZEGIVINGS
In order to keep the event simpler and costs down, there are no medals or certificates. We hope you understand this decision, with the satisfaction of a great result on tough courses being a reward in itself."

While I'm fine with that for adults of any grade, I think this is a mistake for Junior classes. These kids compete hard, and although they'll be "satisfied" with a good result, they can't hang that on their wall or show it to relatives or hold it up at school (depending on age) or send it in with grant applications. Certificates should be the minimum for these grades at a regional championship.

Or do we just confirm what many in the community probably think anyway - that orienteering isn't a "real" sport, it's just an activity you do it for personal satisfaction? How is this going to promote the sport of orienteering to school kids? My teenage nephew is a rep swimmer, and every medal he earns (and there are many) goes up on his wall. He may well be satisfied with his performances, but hard evidence of his ability is also important to him. We are doing our O kids a disservice if we downgrade these regional championships to not much more than normal club events.

Any thoughts on this? I'm not trying to bag the organisers in bringing this up as I can understand their concern about costs and appreciate the work that will have gone into organising the event. But I think it is a topic that needs some consideration at a time when raising the profile of orienteering, particularly among juniors, is high priority.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 October 2012, 8:42 AM  
I think the ideas have merit. Both of not having certificates for adults (for years you have voted with your feet) and of retaining them for kids. The debate could move right along to "what age is the dividing line?"

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 10 October 2012, 8:57 AM  
Good point, comotose, and we are now considering them for the juniors.

Show Profile  JohnR Posted: 14 October 2012, 12:33 PM  
Note Fees were almost double last year
In the program
Maps were sponsored
Administration was sponsored
No medals--saving costs---bullshit

Show Profile  nick Posted: 14 October 2012, 12:40 PM  
NZ orienteers are addicted to f'ing certificates. Juniors - sure. Elites - sure. The rest of us - grow up.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 14 October 2012, 1:06 PM  
Nice positive comments JohnR. Perhaps you should try to get out of bed on the right side tomorrow.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 14 October 2012, 1:09 PM  
Robbie,

If you have a problem with the event, discuss between the clubs not publicly.

A lot of effort went into the event and we think it was great, and yes, we did do certificates for the juniors and elites, and it was well received, so thanks for prompting us, comotose.

Show Profile  theoman Posted: 14 October 2012, 11:25 PM  
Fantastic event and really nice map borders.
Beautiful forest maps! Proper long distance which was especially nice.

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 14 October 2012, 11:31 PM  
Awesome weekend of events! North West once again did a great job. I don't agree with this oman fellow about the map borders though. they were a bit gay

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 15 October 2012, 1:01 AM  
Great course setting for the long distance on an awesome map

Show Profile  NW Posted: 15 October 2012, 2:33 AM  
You need to learn to read Robbie, grants were received to help cover mapping and some equipment purchases, nothing was sponsored or covered in full.

As for Fees---"bullshit" to quote yourself

Show Profile  JohnR Posted: 15 October 2012, 4:59 AM  
NW Its your turn to read!!
Page three reads
Oxford trust--mapping
nzct---infrastructure

As for fees
Last year sprint $16 this year $20
Last year middle $22 this year $36
Last year long $25 this year $42

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 15 October 2012, 5:01 AM  
The anticipation and surprise factor of new terrain helped also.
Normally I wouldn't regard open land as that great for orienteering and have been a little dismayed that the upcoming world cup and oceania maps are largely in the open. However I really enjoyed the open land with scattered native patches that we encountered on part of the long course. Suddenly I feel a bit less concerned. Hopefully the areas and course setting are as interesting, but without the rain and wind please.
I liked the font.

Show Profile  NW Posted: 15 October 2012, 5:13 AM  
Not doing yourself any favors Robbie - trying reading everything and not jumping to assumptions that make you look like an idiot.

Page 3 does state
Oxford trust--mapping
nzct---infrastructure
under the heading Grants, but it does not say it covered all mapping and infrastructure, we received grants towards these.

The fees you quote are LATE fees, our on time fees were $12, $22 and $26

Shall we leave it at "bullshit" or will you issue an apology?

Show Profile  JohnR Posted: 15 October 2012, 5:44 AM  
Yes NW You are correct. Sorry
For a moment I thought I might be in for a refund.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 October 2012, 5:49 AM  
A good decision. Can't count the number of mutterings I've heard about prizegivings! Now for those doing it next, what did you decide about who got certs and who not?

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz