maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

JWOC 2010

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 6 July 2010, 12:33 AM  
Yes I can say they were all amazing - I was impressed and proud of them all. Even the little bit haywire bits weren't all that long. They're all so talented! For next year I suggest we try and organise a sprint or two a week for a couple of months beforehand for team members. That would easily earn Angela (and others) a couple or more seconds per leg, and that would be enough to get Angela onto the podium. And maybe others as well next year.

The terrain fo the long and middle is pretty green and technical in places - like lots of coastal strip stuff. The tactic is to run around tracks to get close as you can then go in carefully. I'm looking forward to seeing some more great orienteering tomorrow.

And yes the start times were selected completely democratically by the team members.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 6 July 2010, 12:33 AM  
And of course I mean start blocks rather than times...

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 6 July 2010, 12:49 AM  
Great start to the week and congrats.
Start times tonight (NZT):

Toby 7.02 Jourdan 8.04 Scott 9.36 Matt 10.18 Duncan 10.46 Gene 11.32
Jaime 7.11 Laura 8.01 Jula 8.21 Selena 9.31 Kate 10.27 Angela 10.35

(Personally I'm a fan of the Russian/Cuban method for start blocks)

Show Profile  Keith Posted: 6 July 2010, 12:51 AM  
Some pretty good runs in there, congrats, will be intresting to see what happens in the next couple of years with a young team.

I don't know why NZ deceids the starts "democratically" I think they're disadvantaging themselves here, in trying to get top 10 positions. All the top nations put their best runner for that discpline out last. If that means the same runner has the last start in all 3 races so be it. A good runner can stay with anyone, If you were lucky enough to start infront of Ida Bobach today you might've been 9th....

PS fully expect most people to disagree with this, but kiwis can be a bit "too nice" at times for their own good.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 6 July 2010, 3:25 AM  
I completely agree Keith. None of this namby-pamby "nice" stuff. The best runners must go in the last blocks to get full advantage of any tracking and if they do end up in a pack it will be with the best from the other countries.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 6 July 2010, 3:27 AM  
Anyone know if anybody is publishing race photos on the web? doesn't seem to be anything on the official site.

Surprised to see Toby first kiwi guy off the mark again today, but never mind, what are the odds Honcho of him catching the czech to be first finisher? (will be at a meeting tonight so will have to find out later)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 July 2010, 4:19 AM  
Yes the above may apply in what we used to call the "classic". But I wouldn't think there would be so much chance of packs forming in a sprint. Or of tracking. Other things being equal, I like to run early.

Show Profile  raewyn Posted: 6 July 2010, 11:07 AM  
Yeh Norm we are missing your photos no commentry or webcam on the finish is all a bit bleak.
Ready for a long night tonight!(if I can get the live page to load).

Go the KIWIS!!!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 6 July 2010, 11:21 AM  
Well I am home after all (a week out of sync) but it seems whatever route choice I take I can only find the sprint "live" results

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 6 July 2010, 11:26 AM  
you may as well have gone to your meeting, it's going to be a long time between drinks

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 6 July 2010, 11:31 AM  
maybe it's a blessing with Toby running early, it's less likely anyone can get a drag from him!

Show Profile  raewyn Posted: 6 July 2010, 11:33 AM  
News from World of O page is that there is not going to be live results tonight due to poor internet coverage. Very poor to leave it until this late stage to find that out! Some comments will be posted on the World of O web page via cell phone depending on reception Go to
http://news.worldofo.com/2010/07/ : (

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 6 July 2010, 11:39 AM  
Ive sent a txt to ross thinking that Maja will maybe have his phone on her, and they may txt through results but I cant promise anything.....GO NZers!!!!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 6 July 2010, 11:50 AM  
AND starts have been delayed by half an hour. Whole thing seems a bit of a step backwards in how professionally big events are run. Hope this is because much more effort has concentrated on the maps and courses!

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 6 July 2010, 11:56 AM  
perhaps a little reading/spying on some of the others could help fill in some time. I say NZfor JWOC

http://ausjuniororienteering.blogspot.com/
http://www.juniororienteers.blogspot.com/
http://nzjwocsquad2010.blogspot.com/

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz