maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

JWOC 2010

Show Profile  AlistairR Posted: 5 July 2010, 1:25 PM  
and Toby still inside the top ten!

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 5 July 2010, 1:32 PM  
Great run Angela and Toby both top ten so far. both could finish in the top 20. And dont forget Laura still 13th

Show Profile  nick Posted: 5 July 2010, 1:42 PM  
Amazing stuff so far. Awesome!

Jaime started

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 July 2010, 2:01 PM  
Is anyone else finding the Danish word for finish time (or similar) slightly unfortunate?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 July 2010, 2:05 PM  
But seriously. Angela just bumped out of the top 10 with only 20-odd still to finish. Brilliant

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 July 2010, 2:20 PM  
No one-man, I find it quite - how you say - passionating

Show Profile  nick Posted: 5 July 2010, 2:27 PM  
Angela looking good in 17 and Laura 27 - choice!

Incredible run from Ida Bobach to win by 24sec?!?! Far out.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 July 2010, 2:30 PM  
I know I'm a bit biassed towards former clubmates but Jula making in the top 50 when she was a late addition to the team is also v impressive

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 July 2010, 2:33 PM  
And Jula in 47, what's the bet Toby ends up 27?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 July 2010, 2:35 PM  
And I know I'm setting myself up for obvious smart answers here, but where have these Polish girls appeared from!?!

Great race kiwi girls. Think I'm going to get dragged away from the computer before things finish up for the guys - looking forward to seeing how it all panned out in the morning

Show Profile  AlistairR Posted: 5 July 2010, 2:38 PM  
Kris Jones (great Britain) taken the lead in the mens amazing run by him!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 July 2010, 2:49 PM  
OK 27th has been taken, what about 37? And what about the two club-mates with almost identical times to R2? Seem to remember Bill and Bryan often posting almost identical times..

Show Profile  Norm Posted: 5 July 2010, 3:27 PM  
Just a bit of information regarding the start lists, which some of you may not know...they are not completely random.

There are 3 blocks of start times - Early, Middle, and Late. Team members and Coach will choose who is going in which of the three blocks. A team with 6 male or female runners will have 2 in each block. A team with 4 runners must have 1 in each block, with the 4th runner being able to choose any of the 3 blocks.

Generally (though certainly not always the case...) the Late block seems to be preferred by the 'better' members of the team. In many country teams, their number 1 and number 2 runners take the Late block, or are always allocated to it by the coach.

My experience of the NZ teams is that there is a fair bit of fairness/democracy exerted, and team members don't expect to always hog the Late block spots. So in one race, they may request say an early start, as they really want say a late start in the Middle length or Long length race.

Generally, the outcome of this is that for people who run in the Early block and come in with a pretty decent result, they tend to see their overall placing get hammered toward the latter part of the race, when the Late block starters are finishing, usually/often with very good times.

So someone who is in zth place when say half the field is finished, tends to end up way lower than 2 x zth.

Show Profile  Norm Posted: 5 July 2010, 3:59 PM  
Hey... Team Kiwis
A wicked set of results!

Sure, some of you did better than others. That's how it always is.
But you were all there, and all finished!

Sure, you are probably all disappointed to some degree...
what might have been, what could have been, what should have been?
Those few lost seconds here and there, that wrong turn...
No-one on that elusive podium yet!

Compared with the resources, finances, training opportunities etc that I know other country teams have...
then I reckon you guys as a team WON.

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 6 July 2010, 12:26 AM  
Awwww Norm....you are such a good man. Those were indeed lovely words and I hope the team reads them. Thanks so much.
A shame not to have you there...I personally miss all those lovely photos that we got to see!! Thanks again Norm. xx

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz