maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Rogaine Series

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 18 May 2010, 8:49 AM  
and I bet you rallied a few of those in your time too eh Michael! Better than a Subaru WRX any day eh??!!

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 18 May 2010, 8:58 AM  
struth that reminds me of my brother kev's sick strength training sessions pushing his mini up hills on the way back from o events in rotorua and driving with no lights when noone was around.
I don't think he still does either.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 18 May 2010, 9:05 AM  
Paul, do you remember the legendary race between Kev and Garden from a training weekend in Kawerau, back to Rotorua? Clendon and I were sh*ttin bricks - scarred me for life. Glad there wasn't a Training Camp Code of Conduct back then, Rob would still be behind bars.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 May 2010, 9:37 AM  
...yeah with 4WD, ABS etc etc you hardly have to drive these days. No drama at all. Mind you there's one thing the same, that's the ground clearance and a sensitivity for the hump in the middle and the rocks it might be hiding.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 May 2010, 9:46 AM  
But we digress. The umbrella word "motorsport" gives us the hint. We should rally under the word "mapsport" and within that we can use whatever terms we think will strike a chord with our audience.

City Safari, for example...

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 18 May 2010, 11:53 AM  
honcho, man that takes me back. I remember Robs amazing short cuts around auckland, noone could beat him anywhere. it was quite an eyeopener even for a country lad.
I also recall on many occasions sitting in the back seat of a very quick RX3 rotary drivin by the mad and wonderful Eddie Stallard, even tho he was in his 70's? (well he looked that old to me), i think every event i ever went to with him i either spewed on the way or just as we arrived at the orienteering. No wonder i was so skinny.
I've got a team photo or two hiding somewhere around the house, you'd hardly recognise anyone, especially you honcho.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 20 May 2010, 11:01 AM  
Just a note before the boy racers completely take over the thread: I noticed an O club in Canada promoting an "Adventure Running" series, which looks like its orienteering under another name.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 May 2010, 1:40 PM  
I've been following this on Attackpoint with interest. Golden Horseshoe Orienteering based in Hamilton, Ontario is heavily using the term "Adventure Running" in its promotion. Under that, it has a programme called "adventurerunningkids" for juniors and "adventurerunning365" for permanent courses. Read more at
http://www.attackpoint.org/discussionthread.jsp/message_413003#message415983 Some very impressive websites, but its probably the approach that's more significant.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 26 May 2010, 5:51 AM  
Entries coming in fast for the final rogaine this Sunday, on the Hedley Rd map, with the Slater Rd farmland added.

As a fundraiser for Tom, Gene and Matt, we have an auction taking place with 3 half day coaching sessions offered by Mark, Marquita and Tom, club memberships, top quality wine and other products, and Head Honcho as the auctioneer. Bring plenty of cash.

Also 10 $50 vouchers from R&R Sport along with heaps of other prizes plus $100 to the top male/female open and schools for the best 3 out of 4 events.

Will be a biggie see www.rogaineseries.co.nz

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 31 May 2010, 5:03 AM  
Big numbers for the final rogaine yesterday with 217, including 65 school kids.

Auction raised over $1300 to be shared by Tom, Gene and Matt to go with $750 each the series raised to help get them to Europe.

Also $100 cash was given to the series winners James Bradshaw, Kate Morrison, Tane Moore and Rene Beveridge.

Big thanks to R&R Sport and Vitasport for their support of the series, and we'll hope for bigger and better next year.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 31 May 2010, 5:07 AM  
Bidding for Marquita's coaching expertise made $195, and Tom's was $170, so not bad for half a day's coaching.

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 31 May 2010, 5:11 AM  
if i'd known that the deal included unlimited use of Marquita's Ellsworth, I'd have put a bid in myself!

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz