maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Rogaine Series

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 8 April 2010, 6:21 AM  
A series of rogaines sre being run by the Northwest O Club with 2 MTBO rogaines and 4 foot rogaines all of 90 minute duration.
All events are pre-entry, and profits will go to helping Gene and Matt get to JWOC this year, and Tom if he gets in the WOC team.

See www.rogaineseries.co.nz for more info.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 20 April 2010, 4:17 AM  
Reminder to enter today or tomorrow for the first rogaines as maps need to be printed.

Entry on the day for $5 extra, but much easier for us if you pre-enter

Should be up to 150 entrants today with heaps of newcomers entered, so target of 200 very likely.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 20 April 2010, 6:05 PM  
70 entries today alone so will easily be over 200 people.

Reminder for the better orienteers there is $100 cash prize for the best male/female open and schools categories with the best 3 out of 4 to count for the foot rogaines.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 20 April 2010, 8:02 PM  
Great to see Rob and here's hoping for more and more for later events.

I think the event/series website is a nice piece of work - big ups to saucy C.P.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 20 April 2010, 8:04 PM  
And kudos to your club for using events to support your NZ representatives.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 4 May 2010, 6:30 AM  
Great turnout for the first foot rogaine in Woodhill with 200 people and 90 ecards to be hired, which shows how many newcomers came along and were attracted by the website, prizes and concept. Ross and Kate were the open winners and one step closer to winning the $100 prize for best 3 out of 4.

Reminder entries need to be in by tomorrow for the next event if you don't want to pay the $5 late entry fee.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 10 May 2010, 10:19 AM  
Another excellent turnout yesterday for the second of instalment of the RnR Sport NW Rogaine Series. It was great to see so many new faces, especially the school kids, swarming all over the Turkey Ridge map - quite a good map for inexperienced navigators with good visibility across a nice mix of large features and intricate detail. There was plenty of positive chatter around the event centre after the race.

Results were delayed by a SI box malfunction. Rolf has been slaving away to get it sorted.

Next week the rogaine series moves to the Slater Road map; very similar in character to Turkey Ridge with the added challenge of more forest cover. Perhaps a good opportunity to brush up your orienteering before Queens Birthday? Your competitors will be there, so...

Show Profile  nick Posted: 10 May 2010, 5:16 PM  
Preliminary results are available on the NWOC website:

http://nwoc.aoa.org.nz/results2010/2010-05-09-rogaine2-prelim-results.html

Show Profile  owen Posted: 12 May 2010, 11:19 AM  
Full results and splits are now available from...

http://nwoc.aoa.org.nz/Results.html

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 17 May 2010, 6:17 AM  
Results are on the website www.rogaineseries.co.nz for both races yesterday. Big win for Nick Mead in the mtb rogaine. He was the only one to get all the controls and had 8 minutes to spare. Really tough route choices all day.

Fantastic number of newcomers again, but few regular orienteers. What is the problem, the 90 minutes or the pre-entry requirment?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 17 May 2010, 9:25 AM  
thanks to all involved i think it's a fantastic little series and a great way to get your long run in for the week. i was gutted not to be able to do #3, hoping like crazy i can run again by the next and last one. Cheers Rob

Show Profile  AllanJ Posted: 17 May 2010, 12:14 PM  
Series is great. Had another event on that clashed which was geared to my training this year. Will be at the last one.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 17 May 2010, 1:06 PM  
Regular orienteers are not rogainers, a orienteering series would be much better

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 17 May 2010, 3:05 PM  
isn't it just semantics though Greg? The only reason these were called Rogaines was to pull in all the new folk, which it did well.....the reality is though these were really orienteering score events, albeit 90 mins long.....

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 May 2010, 6:26 PM  
We might ponder why the word "rogaine" seems different to "orienteering" to some people. And how we should proceed. Should we produce an Austin/Morris/Wolseley/Riley/Vanden Plas for different markets, or try and strengthen one of the existing words (or a new one)?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 May 2010, 7:41 AM  
Austin/Morris/Wolseley/Riley/Vanden Plas and I forgot there was an MG Mini/1100/1300 almost the same under the skin.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz