maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

Online Edition of NZ Orienteering

Show Profile  MAMBO339 Posted: 30 August 2002, 10:17 AM  
I wouldn't think that it would take as much time and effort as one would expect...if it was done properly...

Why not pay a proffesional web designer (possibly a fellow orienteer at mates rates) to create a few templates and then all that would need to be done would be the 'copying & pasting' text onto the pages, possibly with the addtion of a few photos. I reckon this could be done with the current site, to improve navigation.

And, who the heck would do this? Perhaps the webmaster and Editor jobs could be combined. Then the size of the magazine would not have to be restricted.

Show Profile  MAMBO339 Posted: 31 August 2002, 2:52 PM  
then my identity would be revealed

Show Profile  fancy_michael Posted: 1 September 2002, 4:06 PM  
While we're all talking about the magazine....
I think that the last couple of editions have been really good....
The Smiths have put in a lot of work -and I personally really enjoy reading the paper copy :)

Show Profile  addison Posted: 4 September 2002, 9:25 AM  
MAMBO/HOMO you need a brick at your head. If you think making a website is easy and quick you may be right. BUT that is for a piece of crap website. To have people look at a webpage, it needs to look good. Prove me wrong.

This is the major problem with www.nzorienteering.com. The site does not look good, it is not kept up-to-date on certain things, such as NZOF Rankings. How old are those on the site? Along with other factors, the site has little people go to it etc. Therefore it is a failure.

MAMBO/HOMO, if you did understand anything at all about websites and making them, you would understand the need for scipting knowledge. This does not come overnight. This is like learning a language with many many rules involved. In my case with my website (currently not available as we are modifying it and changing hosts), we use PHP script. This is very difficult to learn. Along with this it takes time to learn, time to build the modules and time to maintain the site. As well as organising a host site.

The whole point of a website is for people to come to it etc. The cooler the site looks, the more people will go to the site. This results in more chances for advertising and sponsorship. In my case with my site, we have a sponsor who pays 5 cents per person who goes through our site to theirs. This may not seem much, but $40 later we think its allright. All it takes is a small link and with high numbers of people through the site, people will go.

Websites take time, knowledge and skill. These are all lacking in your case MAMBO/HOMO. Actions speak louder than words, and at the current point in time MAMBO is all talk, no action.

I would like to comment on the recent magazines also. These are looking magnificent. I would like to commend the Smiths on a job well done. Also while in a commending mood, i would like to take the time to thank Fraser and his associates for a site that LOOKS GOOD, and is kept relatively up-to-date.

Show Profile  DaveGlover Posted: 5 September 2002, 1:34 AM  
Simon,

I admire your enthusiasm and knowledge of website technology, but there will be a lot of people out there with a LOT more (professional) web experience than you, smiling at your inexperience. Good web sites are about CONTENT firstly, and presentation is a nice to have. Cool looking websites with no content do not attract me back again and again.
It is possible for a nice template to be set up (with built in script etc.) into which interesting content can be inserted by non technical people, as thousands of intranet sites and electronic newsletters around the world show very nicely. Occasional updating of the templates by the technical types, keeps the presentation looking fresh too.
By all means use scripting to amuse the reader, but give them interesting content, on fast loading uncluttered pages, and they will come back in droves.

By the way, your web site does not look too healthy at the moment, your redirection takes forever, and there are hundreds of broken links on it too (as of 8:30 Thursday moring).

Show Profile  mark Posted: 5 September 2002, 4:55 AM  
Yeah Simon,

your site is crap

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 5 September 2002, 6:49 AM  
I warn you simon

This site is frequented by computer geeks!

keep your cockiness to your orienteering...

something you can do well :-)

ps what is scripting? isn't it something like calligraphy?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 5 September 2002, 8:54 AM  
I fully agree. A site is about content. Without it a site cannot maintain a high number of traffic going into the site.

For Jamie, script is a sort of language....

EG... IRC SCRIPT

alias msnencode {
if ($1 == on) msn.set $cid encode $true
else msn.unset $cid encode
echo $color(info2) -ta * MSN Encode is now $iif($msn.get($cid,encode),on,off)
}

And Dave, in reply to our site having lots of errors, we are still in the process of changing hosts and other things. Will be finished soon

Show Profile  fancy_michael Posted: 5 September 2002, 5:52 PM  
quote:
By the way, your web site does not look too healthy at the moment...... Yeah Simon, your site is crap
Oh look, this hardy seems fair... how come some people get to go to his site and take the piss out of it -and not the rest of us?
Can someone please post the addy of Simon's webpage... I could do with a laugh!
quote:
5 cents per person who goes through our site to theirs. This may not seem much, but $40 later we think its allright
How have you had 800 people go through your site -to the advertisers site... when your site isn't even working??

Show Profile  mark Posted: 6 September 2002, 2:11 AM  
The address is on page 1 of this topic.
http://www.teknet.vze.com

Show Profile  addison Posted: 6 September 2002, 8:46 AM  
Michael..... you seem not be getting the point. I have said that the site is down at the moment, as we are moving hosts. Moving means going from one to another. In other words, we were being hosted before and the site was up long before we shifted hosts. Its simple English.

And Michael, as your saying you want a laugh at my site, let me see yours. A comment my English teacher told my class one time would come in handy, "One who laughs at something one cannot do, is an indicator at at ones lack of inteligence".

Another thing to remember, my site is a web portal. It is not an Orienteering Site. The site is based on IRC Scripting for mIRC. I have never said you would like it, and I never will. All I am saying is that over 40 000 people have been to my site since May, and if that many people have been to my site, its obvious that your opinion may be unwise.

Edited by - Simon Addison on 6/09/2002 16:06:12

Show Profile  mark Posted: 6 September 2002, 9:40 AM  
"an indicator at at ones lack of inteligence"

You had a good English teacher.

Edited by - mark on 6/09/2002 16:42:35

Show Profile  addison Posted: 6 September 2002, 9:42 AM  
So i did, and English teachers jobs arent to teach one how to not make typing errors

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 September 2002, 10:50 AM  
I have just subscribed to the European magazine O-Sport. I also get CompassSport, SkogsSport, the Australian Orienteer and of course NZ Orienteering.

Michael

Show Profile  MAMBO339 Posted: 6 September 2002, 11:24 AM  
simon buddy, ya site is screwed. its says "This is the placeholder for domain teknet.downage.org. If you see this page after uploading site content you probably have not replaced the index.html file."

So, i would suggest creating an index file.

On that script stuff you posted where you're trying to sound all fancy. That particular script would b of no use to an orienteering website, or infact, most website. Its only for little geeks like you who sit around the computer all day and go "hey look dude, look at my new script" when all it does is something totally useless. Infact, most scripts are of no use. Sure the odd one would do something neat, but the majority of them just do something such as text following the cusor -- who really needs that?

Anyway, you wouldnt need scripting.

If the NZOF is willing to make me some image-saavy templates and send them to me (mambo339@hotmail.com), i'd be willing to show you what you can do without the need of "fancy" scripting.

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz