maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Silva SS Champs

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 12 August 2009, 2:51 PM  
Time difference, I'm in Hungary

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 12 August 2009, 2:51 PM  
Nice one, wonder if he's keen on a Taranaki five day over christmas?

Show Profile  ole codger Posted: 12 August 2009, 3:46 PM  
A little bit of history. The Woodhill Forest Run was started long before "Landels, Jessup, Browne, Robinson and others". In 1981 John Rix, an English exchange teacher at Kings College instigated the WFR
with other Auckland 21a orienteers(before elite and a official NZ squad came in)to raise travel funds so that the best available team could be chosen to go to WOC Switzerland and following WOCs. Rolf Wagner was the administrator (and team manager)and other Auckland 21a were the committee. The Three Auckland clubs each had a role in running the day. Southern members organized raffles and the final tally was divided amongst the chosen team. As the potential team composition changed over the years so did the committee, but it is interesting to note that former team members would remember the helping hand they got and would willing help out on the day,with some even staying on the committee. Profile - John Rix, 1979 and 1982 NZ Champion. Was instumental in getting his Kings College pupils Alistar Landels and Alistar Cory-Wright introduced to orienteering.He was their coach as well. Back in England he had been a 4min 1sec miler but couldn't orienteer anywhere that speed. Map reading in difficult terrian is a great leveller, but John was a quality orienteer all the same. Being well over 6ft he found it difficult running in the low branch forest maps of Woodhill like Otakinini. Ran in 1981,83 and 85 WOC teams. Returned and settled in native England

Show Profile  addison Posted: 12 August 2009, 9:55 PM  
Robbie yours was a fizzer mate. All the hype and you let everyone down. What a shame I sat next to my computer all day, refreshing every 2 minutes so that I could see it first... hence the fizzer ;-)

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 13 August 2009, 12:45 AM  
Here's another suggestion.

What about creating a charitable trust to help our young sports men or women get to compete overseas? Looking at www.charities.govt.nz, we may pass the criteria of 'relieving poverty or hardship', and 'advances education' by 'developing the character of young people' or 'another matter beneficial to the community' by 'supportation, aid and help' of young orienteers. The guidelines indicate that the definition of charitable extends 'to the organising of any activity' with a 'public benefit'.

Once you are registered, you are legally able to ask for 'sponsorship' or donations and there are tax benefits.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 13 August 2009, 1:23 AM  
The forest run used to attract 1500 runners regularly, and raise about $10,000.

Paul Dalton took over after John Rix, and then Dave Melrose. Dave introduced a mountainbike section which had about 50 riders the first year, and grew as the running numbers proceeded to drop. This was the first official mountainbiking event in Woodhill, and has lead to a monster with thousands now mountainbiking in the mtb park these days.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 13 August 2009, 2:46 AM  
Not quite correct olde codger
The elite squad was my idea and the first squad was named by the Federation in 1979 and I was appointed national coach. We have our first training camp at Waiuku forest where I organised Deiter Wolfe.He stayed with us for three months and assisted with camps at Maramarua and Taupo. I won the Vets World marathon late in 79 and recieved several invites overseas so I couldnt give the squad the time tt needed. John Rix took over the role in my absence. When I returned he was doing a great job so with agreement he took over and I became an assistant.I was there right at the start of the WFR and have been on the speaker for twenty of the twentyfive years it has run.The photo and write up in a recent post is from the Waiuku camp

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 13 August 2009, 3:06 AM  
Not quite correct Bryan - to give tax benefits to those who donate, you need to be registered with the IRD as a Donee Organisation. While this is pretty much automatic for charities, it is a separate process. The good news is from some work I did earlier this year I think amateur sporting bodies qualify as Donee Organisations so long as they are Inc. and their constitution has certain clauses - unfortunately NZOF's doesnt and its my intention to ask next years AGM to amend it so we can apply to get status as a Donee Organisation.

A lawyer would have a better idea, but I also wonder whether setting up a fund for kids to travel overseas would meet the definition of a charitable purpose.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 13 August 2009, 3:07 AM  
oops that should be 20 out of 21. I was sick one year.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 13 August 2009, 7:28 AM  
mmm, I'm dubious of the benefits of insulting a whole generation to get a response. I may have made that mistake before but I hope I won't still be guilty of it when I am one of the orienteering kaumatua.

I suspect (and hope) that the charitable purpose definition doesn't extend that far. If it did you would have situations where a parent could donate to the NZOF the expenses for their childs travel and then recieve a 30% tax credit.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 13 August 2009, 7:31 AM  
If you said the fund was only for 'kids to travel' overseas I'm sure the charities commission would decline your registration. On their
website they list lots of purposes (including 'marriage of poor maids' as the act was first created in England in 1601)

There would be lots of possible reasons and purposes for the trust:
- coaching young people
- funding training camps
- funding coaches
- aid for young people to compete in international events
- helping young people to get off their butts and have recreation and sport in the outdoors
- developing the character of young people
- providing navigation and outdoors education to young people

I think it's worth a try and fundraising like Simons' idea of a Peter Snell dinner could come under the trust's umbrella where there would be tax benefits.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 August 2009, 2:30 PM  
Like Jamie I'm uncomfortable about the charitable thing. Australia used to have this; I think it might even have been possible for a team member to donate to the federation, get the money back for their own campaign, and also the tax relief. That's up there with the MPs' Wellington accommodation "rules".

Show Profile  ole codger Posted: 13 August 2009, 2:37 PM  
Does Robbie have copywright on the word I?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 August 2009, 2:49 PM  
Picking up on one of HH's remarks, we generally think of high senior numbers as a "bad thing". (Perhaps in the sense that they aren't elite competitors, they won't be tomorrow's elite competitors, and even worse they won't be any sort of competitors before long.)

How to sensitively suggest providing something for orienteering in one's will?

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 14 August 2009, 2:27 AM  
The exercise has been great and thanks for contributing to finding a way going forward.
There has been a big shift in the way national teams fund themselves. There are avenues for getting money that didnt exist in our day. It is also apparent that our younger orienteers are more concerned about the local scene rather than international competition.We have three major categories in administration of orienteering in New Zealand. Administration--High performance---Service to clubs. If a fund was established then you are indicating it should go to Service to clubs.
The fund could assist many of the concerns you have raised.
How could the fund operate?
If there was a lump sum donated the fund is likely to stagnate. For a fund to grow it would need to have a steady annual flow of income.As indicated before wealth is created by streams of income. So where can these come from? Simon had a good idea with the Peter Snell dinner. To enable this to be one stream the dinner needs to be annual, held at different centers each year,giving opportunity for all New Zealand orienteers to contribute to the fund.Paul suggested more events. Why not ask each club to contribute the proceeds of one event each year to the fund. Again annual streams of income.Clubs who offer would be the first to receive back from the fund. The Federation could donate the fees from those events back to the fund.You could even ask nicely if orienteers would like to donate to the fund. If the fund was set up correctly we could tap into govt and grant money again on an ongoing basis.
Again thank you for all the bright ideas or even just taking part even the one with a twisted agenda, and maybe a group of you young high flyers can take this idea to reality.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz