maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Silva SS Champs

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 July 2009, 2:51 AM  
Meanwhile back in kiwiland tomorrows champions have been battling it out in the Manawatu. Angela Simpson beat the entire SG field by 6min while Matthew Ogden was just ahead of club- and shool-mate Gene Beveridge. Memory starts to fade now.

I fully expect to hear there's already a thread somewhere in the previous 90 pages...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 July 2009, 2:53 AM  
A name you won't see in the results: Kyle Higham. Still at school, he planned the individuals. They were good courses.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 19 July 2009, 3:47 AM  
No there is already a news article, dont let Simon see you writing this

Show Profile  addison Posted: 19 July 2009, 5:44 AM  
Thats pretty choice of Kyle, good on you Kyle!

By all accords a good event

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 July 2009, 3:59 AM  
I have to admit to failing to look at "News" regularly; congratulations to Mick for vastly increasing the content there. Pursuing random observations I want to mention another couple of students who didn't get a placing.

Ryan Cambridge (Kings) and Nicky Crawford (Columba) were I think the only two from Dunedin, they will have had to show real initiative to get there. There are others too who come from schools where there is no support for orienteering, and their persistence to achieve a goal rates up there with finding a control in a tricky reentrant.

Show Profile  GeneO Posted: 20 July 2009, 9:02 AM  
Very good individual courses set by Kyle in my opinion. And a great technical area used well!

The relays were a bit short I thought. Thats good for the interest of the less able runners. But with short courses in such a friendly area of the map it was hard for packs to split up especially if packs still existed after the first split. This was obvious in some younger grades where the first leg runners were comming back in bunches. However, I don't know of any teams that were hard done by because of following, and the fast courses did make for fun racing in my grade, and it was great to see so many people really into the racing!

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 20 July 2009, 9:13 AM  
Any results from the relay? anyone?

Show Profile  magnus Posted: 21 July 2009, 5:35 AM  
Some photos can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.com/Orienteering.Wellington/NewZealandSecondarySchoolsChampionship2009#

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 21 July 2009, 6:40 AM  
Relay results have appeared on the Red Kiwi website

Show Profile  luis.s Posted: 22 July 2009, 2:58 PM  
the individuals appeared on routegadget a couple of hours ago

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 29 July 2009, 3:19 AM  
We attached a Microminiature Incredibly Complexicated Kamera to a small robot drone to follow Tim Robertson in action at the Schools Champs; check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxImiJBNfMI

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 1 August 2009, 3:16 PM  
Mick what a great clip. What do we learn from this.Tim looked at his map for no more than 10 sec in 6minutes of running. He was able to take in the information he needed. He spiked every control. He sustained a constance speed even through rough terrain. To me we have an orienteer with exceptional talent.The question I ask is how can we now develop some fund to take this talent to its potentional?

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 1 August 2009, 3:31 PM  
"Tim looked at his map for no more than 10 sec in 6minutes of running." Mmmm - doesn't strike me as being a very good orienteering technique. You can run a long way in the wrong direction in 5 minutes and 50 secs and have no idea that you're going wrong until it's way too late.

Certainly is a great clip though - at least the 1st 15 seconds are, then my broadband speed failed to cut the mustard.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 1 August 2009, 5:20 PM  
what we learn from this is that the cameraman only just kept up with Tim, which is probably also why the live sound was dubbed over with music.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 1 August 2009, 5:42 PM  
Yeah, a respiration rate of 200 and an audible heartbeat of 210 doesn't sound good on tape, Paul.

Tim is definitely one to watch; I suspect that he could have done this rerun on film without a map, hence the ten visible secs of mapreading and a few instances where I change camera angle which aren't in the clip!

It wouldn't be fair to follow competitors in the actual champs, the rasping gasping old guy would scare away the kids as well as any local cows.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 1 August 2009, 5:45 PM  
Also, Angela's rerun is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NufxX6XyODw&feature=channel

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz