maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

GPS use in Orienteering

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 28 May 2009, 8:31 AM  
Just to clarify. My fancy watch does have the option of showing distance run from the last waypoint.

However before orienteeirng I ensure that the watch only displays the timer and nothing else, then lock it so it cannot revert to any other display. This effectively displays exactly the same as any normal watch. It records where I went, but does not show it on the display. I access this information after the race for analysis. There is no navigational advantage gained.

The NZOF rule seems fine the way it is. If you use the GPS to gain any navigational advantage then that would be cheating.

Greg...you wooley wofter.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 28 May 2009, 8:39 AM  
Jamie asks "Are we going to adopt the IOF Rule change"

Short answer Not at the Moment (NZOF doesn't have any forewarning of rule changes so the change hasn't been considered by NZOF)

Note: The rule change will apply to future WRE events run in NZ

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 28 May 2009, 10:01 AM  
Brent sounds like he is trying to get the semi raging red hot favourite tag, dont you remember what happened last time you had that.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 28 May 2009, 10:16 AM  
Nationals Greg 3 Brent 1 even thought Brent was favourite to win everything going, and most people thought Greg couldn't make the top 75% of the field. Brent is over rated, and was better as a junior. Darren will win everything.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 28 May 2009, 11:06 AM  
Darren doesn't stand a chance in the Night Event. I predict that even Greg will beat him in that.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 28 May 2009, 11:50 AM  
I agree. Darren doesn't stand a chance in the night event!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 28 May 2009, 3:56 PM  
I'm picking Michael Adams and Jason Markham for some podiums this weekend...but yes only a fool would not favour the flash!

Brent who?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 28 May 2009, 11:39 PM  
A hint of complacency about the night event there Brent? Well, I have inside info that Darren WILL be there, and WILL start the night race....

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 29 May 2009, 12:05 AM  
In that case I withdraw my last comment.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 29 May 2009, 1:39 AM  
Jamie you are always my hot favorite in any race, providing you finish and don't mp You hide away down there in Wellington training fulltime on those lovely big hills. Then try and talk others up before a race, before coming out of nowhere to take the victory! You are a sneaky wee character.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 3 June 2009, 4:39 AM  
What a ridiculous comment.

I don't recall winning anything... although I do recall taking some superior route choices and outlasting, with a one legged hobble, a pack of well regarded juniors and Brent "are you my daddy" Edwards.

It has also been proven through trial and error that in the case of New Zealand orienteers, training "fulltime" does not necessarily result in either better results, or indeed more training...

I hope to resume a diet of 60 minute tempo runs shortly, which are more than manageable around my currently excessive workload;-)

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 3 June 2009, 6:39 AM  
I didn't see any one legged hobbling except before and after races. Makes me think you pulled the old Flynn trick of wofering out and resting up during the hard races.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 3 June 2009, 6:56 AM  
"I don't recall winning anything"

??? Oceania Sprint ???

Show Profile  Kev Posted: 3 June 2009, 7:30 AM  
IOF has just updated their rules, including 21.3 about GPS devices.

As I read it you can carry one if can't inform the user
i.e. doesn't have a screen and doesn't beep!

Only allowed for post-race analysis

Tape on your watch isn't good enough......

Show Profile  Kev Posted: 3 June 2009, 7:31 AM  
Here's the link

http://www.orienteering.org/i3/index.php?/iof2006/news/clarification_of_iof_competition_rule_21_3_concerning_equipment

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz