maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

GPS use in Orienteering

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 27 May 2009, 9:19 AM  
No he's not. Were the nationals before or after June 1st?

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 27 May 2009, 10:13 AM  
I think Greg is just trying to stir me up Michael. Don't worry I will kick his ass this weekend (with my GPS watch).

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 27 May 2009, 11:13 AM  
Interesting that one word makes a diff - wearing a GPS (eg on the wrist) as opposed to 'carrying' one (even in a backpack) which is what the IOF has stated is illegal.
There is probably an advantage to 'wearing' one (particularly in a rogaine) as you can push the split at a control and measure distance from there eg 900 metres along a track. Altitude measurements are nowhere close to accurate though. The training benefits of knowing your current pace and overall pace are great as well as post-race tracking of every wiggle and deviation are great.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 27 May 2009, 11:27 AM  
Just remember Brent to kick his ass withOUT your GPS watch on Monday, June 1st

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 28 May 2009, 2:23 AM  
Mick,

The change in rule is the only navigational aids a competitor may use OR CARRY are .... (map, controls desc, compass) - wearing a GPS watch and pushing buttons would fall under the definition of "use", and would/should be invalid under the old rule anyway.

The change in rule only applies to WRE events, World Cup, WOC and other IOF events (JWOC), so Brent can wear/carry his Garmin on Monday if he likes - so long as he doesnt use it as a navigational aid.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 28 May 2009, 2:47 AM  
Yep, so elites already owning a watch are not allowed to carry it in a backpack now. They need to buy another gps unit - a logger without buttons, OR the IOF could provide a gps logger for each elite in the big races (or even a transmitter) and allow carrying a watch in a backpack in WREs for example. Sure you can't stop people from taking it out of a backpack and putting it on and using it but you also can't police following and pack running.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 28 May 2009, 2:52 AM  
Since when did elites in major international races start wearing backpacks???

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 28 May 2009, 3:00 AM  
For an elite considering the speed they run do they honestly have time to stop and push some buttons on a GPS unit to help them? I think not. Can't work out the rationale behind not being able to carry in in a backpack during an event either. Personally for me that is a backwards step from the IOF, especially when it cuts out a tool that can be used to help analyse performance.

Brent - just kick Greg's arse this weekend.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 28 May 2009, 3:28 AM  
I believe that once orienteering becomes an established TAB feature sport that all orienteers will need to be handicapped with weight as per horses. So Chris may have to carry a car engine on his back to make it fair to other elites and Thierry will have to run on one leg (right or left depending on whether the course is clockwise or anti).

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 28 May 2009, 4:12 AM  
Greg is off to Europe for world cups, so the arse kicking will have to be in Auckland Champs after Greg will have had 2 months of racing.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 28 May 2009, 4:40 AM  
car engines are smaller in Europe

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 28 May 2009, 4:48 AM  
If Greg fails to turn up, that is the same as an ass kicking.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 28 May 2009, 5:02 AM  
Are you that desperate Brent.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 28 May 2009, 5:47 AM  
Brent I can change you to M21AS on Sunday so that you can compete with Flynn?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 28 May 2009, 8:49 AM  
HH seems to be correct...the NZ rule is..

"During the competition the only navigational aids that competitors may use are the map, control descriptions provided by the organisers, and a compass."

So are we going to adopt the IOF rule change? (remember this is in the context that nearly all our other rules are derived from the IOF rules).

I would like to know. When say Brent is doing an orienteering course with one of the fancy watches, does he hit a button at every control to get a way point....and if so every time he glances at his watch does he see the exact distance he has travelled from the last control?

If so I would suggest it is a reasonably fundamental navigational aid, especially on sand dune terrain that we need to consider how to react to.

I wouldn't assume that we are being luddite without giving some thought to exactly how it may affect the challenge of navigation.

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz