maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Potential Levy Cut

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 19 March 2009, 5:02 AM  
piss and wind? "poke at NZOF"?

Yes I occasionally use an internet forum to suggest new ideas and focus for NZOF spending, given that the NOF $ includes the first spare 25% of income available from the functioning of o clubs in NZ. This is an internet discussion forum, thats what it is for.

I have been for a long time very clear on exactly what I think the priorities should be. I'm not going to waste my time digging up all the old posts and letters and emails. What is required is not "placing money and resources into the areas as required" it is "using" money and resources to invest in our sport.

I think (and yes it is only my opinion) that money should be taken out of coaching/development/hp (where often it has sat unused) and be put into a centralised person or group responsible for developing best practice map production with clubs and applying for funding for new map developments through clubs and also developing and managing a centralised online map storage system (as proposed and developed by others in another thread)....to clarify this is what I have been proposing for years and if its not clear and unabiguous as far as ideas go I'm not sure what is.

It's easy to say clubs are falling over because of "burnout" that is meaningless. I have consistently argued that "burn out" is related to lack of new, exciting areas to challenge yourself on in your chosen sport and failing to even approach the question with an open mind that this could be related to a 25% tax on club income seems strange.

For the record, I don't support a levy reduction. My post pleaded for a responsible reduction plan if clubs think one is appropriate. I am worried though at the defensive behaviour in messages I have recieved both on this forum and privately. This forum survived for years with no support from NZOF and I have been on it from the start and I don't really appreciate the actions of NZOF officials and councillors in seeking to quell legitimate debate and discussion of issues.

If the NZOF as a whole (which I include myself in) had listened better to clubs over the years this remit wouldn't have been put.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 21 March 2009, 5:14 PM  
Jamie Thank you for your responce. I dont wish to quell legitimate debate. If I did I wouldnt be writing now.I would like to support your ideas but I need to understand where you are coming from.
If you wipe coaching/development/high performance from the budget do you realise you are cutting out 68% from the budget? Do you really understand how many areas of orienteering this would effect.
Burn out---You appear to relate this to personal performance with "exciting areas to challenge your self" The burn out refered to are club voluntares. The people at the work face. I might put myself in this catergary with 20 events so far this year. At 70 years old it can not last. Who is going to organise this exciting new events you refer to? I suggest it would be the old burnt out people I refer to. How many orienteering events have you set or controlled this year Jamie? In fact have I ever ran on an event set or controlled by you? I have set several national events for you.
Back to the remit. I have only been on the council a short time. I am prepared to listen and contribute to debate. I will support sugestions that come forward but they have to have the support of the orienteering community through the club stucture.I would doubt that wiping out 68% of the budget to support your idea would gain very much support.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 22 March 2009, 1:21 PM  
Alistair - we did actually split two courses because we were going to be there till midnight otherwise. (Another reason for needing entries reasonably early so you have a chance to do that if necessary.) We did loops and gaffeling on course 1 and so could have 2 min intervals so that wasn't actually the longest starting block. I think it was course 2 that was. But anyway as it was for Oceania Champs I think we were pretty saturated with having as many control sites as we could and still be legal in terms of how close they can be. So I don't think we could have many more courses without having the control sites having a too high visit rate especially given that the terrain was pretty open. So yep we thought about all your suggestions and what we came up to was what we deceided was optimal within the various constraints.

As most know there's lots involved in planning courses and it's certainly made easier if people enter on time. Like I've said all along I'm all for getting more flexible with closing dates, but given all the work the organizing teams are doing it would be kind of nice if people just entered on time.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 22 March 2009, 2:06 PM  
Its up to the discretion of the organiser to accept late entries, so you only have yourself to blame

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 22 March 2009, 3:03 PM  
Hi Robbie

I have an event coming up in May, Mt Kaukau, you are invited, I'll make a special course just for you. A few tips it will be hilly, green and make lesser men squirm.

I am open to some money being left in coaching and high performance if the NZOF one day sees fit to adopt my idea :-)

Love Jamie

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 23 March 2009, 3:30 AM  
Greg - I'm not sure what you mean. Who is the "yourself" you're referring to in this case and what are they to blame for?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 23 March 2009, 7:23 AM  
"yourself" being any organiser complaining about late entries as detailed in the first part of that sentence

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 23 March 2009, 9:01 AM  
I'm still not really sure of your point, Greg. This discussion started because those accepting entries for Oceania refused some late entries and some people got very upset. I would like us to have a system which makes it easier to have late entries for big events but the most obvious way of doing with with vacant places as they do in Europe is actually hard to implement here given our various constraints. Personally I would still like organizers to try as I don't want to turn away anybody who wants to orienteer. But the purpose of my posts was to explain why it's not a trivial matter to do this for those who were advocating that late entries should always be accepted and that closing dates should be a matter of days before an event.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 23 March 2009, 10:02 AM  
I think you'll find this discussion actually started Jenni because OHV has put forward a remit to our AGM.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 23 March 2009, 11:10 AM  
Hi Jamie
Thanks for the invite. Will it kill me! I like the love bit at the end. How about a beer at the Nationals and a chat.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 23 March 2009, 11:29 AM  
Jenni - I believe entries should only close days before an event. If you take me for Nationals at this stage I may or may not be working on Easter weekend. However, if I wont know until the weekend before. If I am not working I would love to come up and compete at Nationals but I have been told by the organisers that I should be able to run but I will be 'unofficial'. So for me I just dont see the point of going to Nationals at all if that is the case. I mean if I pay my entry fee surely I should obtain an official result?

Sure, I accept I am one case on this. However, with the other events I organise on a professional basis we find the trend is competitors are entering later and later, with most in the last two weeks before the event. If orienteering is to keep having what I would term quite lengthy entry cut-offs it will miss out on some entries, which is a shame for the sport - we should be making it easier for people to compete, not harder.

I do accept that with Nationals, and to a certain extent Oceania's, you do need to plan quite a way ahead if you want to do it seriously. But I just want to run at the event and if I cant as the entry cut off is weeks before the event that opportunity is lost to me, and I suspect I am not the only person in that boat.

Whether we like it or not society has changed over the last few years. More people work in the weekends, quite often at late notice. If orienteering cant move with this trend then it will continue to lose numbers.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 23 March 2009, 3:00 PM  
Hey Robbie,

Won't be at nationals unfortunately, but I certainly prefer not to hold grudges. Its great how many of us there are around that are passionate about this ridiculous sport that involves running around in the bush wearing pajamas.

Show Profile  rossmnfg Posted: 23 March 2009, 7:18 PM  
Nibb high football rules!

Show Profile  rossmnfg Posted: 23 March 2009, 7:20 PM  
*Knibb

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz