maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Potential Levy Cut

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 4 March 2009, 6:04 PM  
elmo sparc funding cuts across most of our strategic plan. High performance through to partisapation. If we dont achieve at all levels we simply dont conform. For example if we dont get coaches in clubs or "A" grade controllers or increased partisapation or more students doing orienteering or more club membership and so on, we simply dont meet the demands of sparcs and join the other 80 sports that get nothing.By decreasing revenue you decrease service and you no longer can perform the tasks that sparcs require.Excuse the spelling its 1am and Im still a voluntary

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 5 March 2009, 11:47 AM  
Sparc funding is contingent on the sport showing progress towards a series of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). All sports set KPIs in line with Sparc's overall aims to make NZ a more active place. Each sport creates a table of KPIs and sets goals for each indicator. These are in the back of the NZOF annual report. Some of orienteering's indicators relate to participation, others to development of coaching number and most are very objective.

At the end of the year the council and GM writes a report to Sparc outlining our performance related to the indicators. For instance if orienteering does not achieve its goals of increase in coaching numbers it has to explain why and what it intends to change.

My understanding is that if the sport fails to achieve its goal KPI's over several years the funding may disappear. I think Hockey lost a whole chunk of funding last year.

You must remember at the end, Sparc has a lot more to lose the just the financial grant if they axe a sport. For a very small investment I think they get a good bang for their buck and increased sporting activity from orienteering.

Show Profile  Hamish Posted: 5 March 2009, 2:40 PM  
Am I correct that the KPIs all relate to membership, junior membership and participation ?

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 5 March 2009, 2:54 PM  
No Hamish. You will find some detail on page 18 of the last annual report. Also page 16 in Stuarts report. I quote "capability is demonstrated first by way of governance,management and policies, and secondly by performance against key indicators." So sparc money is subject to several areas of performance.

Show Profile  rossmnfg Posted: 6 March 2009, 12:53 AM  
$54000 for competitive performance???
-(12x$500) for JWOC entries = $48000
-(5x$500) for WOC entries = $45500
I'm bad with money, but $54000 seems like alot...
What soaks up the rest? ANZ entries? MTB-O?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 6 March 2009, 1:51 AM  
You seem bad at maths too. Probably why you're bad with money.

54k for competitive performance seems like the budget figure for 2008. It includes coaching and technical standards as well as high performance.

2008 accounts shortly to be distributed will show 39k spent on competitive performance (spend down on coaching/technical).

About 28k spent on high performance in 2008 (25k budget):

HP Dir + expe: 9k
Nat Squad: 8k
MTBO 3.5k
JWOC 3k
WRE levies: 1.5k
and dribs and drabs elsewhere

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 6 March 2009, 4:33 AM  
I should be more aware of this I guess, but I'm assuming that the bulk of the National Squad money is that donated by Dave Melrose for the Australian trip, or is it WOC contributions?

The National Squad itself doesn't really have a budget, so I think the description is a bit loose.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 6 March 2009, 7:41 AM  
No, the 8k is provided by NZOF to Nat Sqd - without looking I assume most of it goes to WOC (ask the HPDir). There was no DMD money in 2008.

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 6 March 2009, 12:53 PM  
lets up the levy,

We can build a functional web based entry, membership, and event management system that is universal across clubs that is simple to use, inviting and representative of orienteering as a vibrant, modern sport.

Then NZOF can subsidise the nationwide roll out of a schools orienteering competiton.

I am 100% against the levy cut, I can see no sense in it what so ever. I have done something about it too, Dad and I figured out another option but apparently its too late to be considered with this remit.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 8 March 2009, 4:12 AM  
What is it Tom? Just spell it out here

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 8 March 2009, 9:15 AM  
its a powerpoint and needs that to explain the model. if i paraphrase everyone will point out problems so im not going to.

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 8 March 2009, 1:55 PM  
When you have the Powerpoint presentation whenever that may be peoplele will still point out problems. By announcing what you think before the Remit has to be submitted to NZOF people can point out the problems rather than having to vote on something which you then realise has probems associated with it and therefore is unlikely to pass.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 9 March 2009, 6:22 AM  
there must be some web-geeky way of publishing a .ppt that we can see online? o-squad blog? youtube? facebook?

btw - is it an NZOF rule that the exec can only discuss ideas that were submitted by a deadline? Is that a beneficial rule? When was it imposed? Is it still relevant in the age of web 2.0? Might we benefit from greater flexibility? Good ideas bubble up when they're ready, and seldom coincide with committee schedules. Just wondering...

Show Profile  addison Posted: 9 March 2009, 7:15 AM  
I believe in the context of a remit, a motion may be passed for an amendment to that remit. So the first vote is whether to allow an amendment to be voiced, if this passes then a second vote occurs to vote on that remit.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 9 March 2009, 10:05 AM  
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate on process. Strong organisations have smooth transparent decision-making processes - I'm all about it.

I don't really know the formal NZOF procedure so I shouldn't be stirring... but... would Tom's presentation be a remit or a submission in respect of a remit?

Incidentally, "remit" is an intriguing word with multiple contrasting meanings. Interesting choice.

More importantly, is there a way that Tom (should he want to) can easily share the powerpoint with maptalk users? Anyone? Anyone?

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz