maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

Code of Behaviour and Party.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 16 December 2008, 1:10 PM  
Latest NZOF news states that council is looking forward to a "decent trial" of the code of behaviour.

I hereby announce I won't be organising or coaching at any more official NZOF squad camps. Maybe I'll organise Jamie and friends camps.

I refuse to kowtow to the the PC brigade that put this policy through to stop me having a beer with my mates. Its ridiculous. But neither will I be set-up for a fall.

AND on a brighter note, I noticed that the Oceania barn dance has fallen through, but don't worry there will be a BYO BBQ/Party/BoozeO at Jamie's parents house in Arthurs Pass on Wednesday the 7th of January following the Oceania Classic.

The party will finish on nightfall but the celebrations will continue in the local pub. There is a DOC campsite adjacent to the venue.

In no way should this be considered a "National Squad Camp".

Jamie

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 December 2008, 1:36 PM  
Jamie its all to do with the actions of a few affecting many. Don't go blaming the NZOF for having to deal with it, deal to the few individuals who have ruined it for all

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 16 December 2008, 3:41 PM  
I fully understand the need for a camp policy for junior athletes, but to extend this to the National Squad is bullshit.

I have organised and coached camps from junior to elite level for the last ten years. During this time there has only been one negative incident(bullying) that I felt had to follow up...this was at a camp I organised but couldn't attend.

I assure you that those responsible for those actions were dealt with and continue to be dealt with by my wrath.

I find it ironic that the NZOF has this code, but very little in the way of camp manager/coach training/support or review. The risks posed to participants on a camp and the enforcement of rules, or a reasonable standard of behaviour, are best managed by having quality well briefed coaches in charge.

If the NZOF doesn't feel it has those people then it shouldn't run the camps under its name, because the rules will neither make a difference or cover their arse should something go wrong. If it does have those people then it doesn't need the rules.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 16 December 2008, 3:55 PM  
Jamie is awesome. Spot on. I'll be at Arthur's Pass bro, look forward to it.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 December 2008, 12:19 AM  
I didn't realise it extended to adult camps. Jager will crack out the Jagermeister.

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 18 December 2008, 9:38 AM  
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! [edited - Simon]

In Kawhia in 1994 one junior man in the M16A grade was stealing drinks off others tables. Has this type of behaviour been banned?

This message was edited by addison on 22 December 2008, 4:05 PM

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 19 December 2008, 3:06 AM  
If it was Kawhia 1994, you would have been 14, and therefore M14 ;-)

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 19 December 2008, 7:57 AM  
Correct Jamie - it wasn't me. That joke may have even been before your time....

It still remains the best prizegiving ever, and the only time when bottles of spirits grew on trees....

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 19 December 2008, 9:08 AM  
and you guys with alcohol problems probably thought that one day when you were old men you would probably look back at the whole controversy and laugh!

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 19 December 2008, 9:24 AM  
What do you mean look back? We were all pissing ourselves about it at the time!

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 19 December 2008, 12:08 PM  
"Jamie its all to do with the actions of a few affecting many. Don't go blaming the NZOF for having to deal with it, deal to the few individuals who have ruined it for all"

Your correct Simon it is all to do with a few affecting many. That doesn't make the actions of the NZOF wise, fair or effective. We don't need PC rules at NZOF level when we have the New Zealand law and a common knowlege of what is wrong or right.

What are the actions of these few? Why is it hidden? Shouldn't they been named and shamed? People will play other sports if this one doesn't ALLOW us to live like the rest of society.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 19 December 2008, 12:08 PM  
"Jamie its all to do with the actions of a few affecting many. Don't go blaming the NZOF for having to deal with it, deal to the few individuals who have ruined it for all"

Your correct Simon it is all to do with a few affecting many. That doesn't make the actions of the NZOF wise, fair or effective. We don't need PC rules at NZOF level when we have the New Zealand law and a common knowlege of what is wrong or right.

What are the actions of these few? Why is it hidden? Shouldn't they been named and shamed? People will play other sports if this one doesn't ALLOW us to live like the rest of society.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 20 December 2008, 5:18 AM  
I'm going to put a bob each way here, I think 'a' policy 'could' be used, mainly as an informant tool of what is acceptable of attendees of NZOF camps, but it should not include telling adults that they can not enjoy a social drink.

I get you are mainly focusing on one point of the policy Jamie, which is why I feel they rest of it does have some room (that point does not), and as Neil has stated, surely NZ law and common sense comes into play there.

They other thing Neil has pointed to is why the hell are these details of the ones that have forced this policy been locked away only known about by the small executive at that time, never passed down or made public and with no disciplinary actions, who is learning from it all?

But having just been on the latest NZOF Junior camp, I not once saw a need for the policy and was highly impressed by the 60 juniors we have coming up, not only their attitudes and actions on camp but also their orienteering abilities.

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 20 December 2008, 6:49 AM  
" I not once saw a need for the policy" probably because you had the right people running the camp which as Jamie points out is exactly when you won't need it.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 22 December 2008, 3:32 AM  
i haven't bothered to read the policy but i do wonder what NZOF could/would do to enforce it? is this covered?

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 22 December 2008, 6:40 AM  
I dont think it is for enforcement its just an arse covering measure....just like that law that says its illegal to carry alcohol in public, its never enforced but its there none the less.

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz