maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Are we wasting Grant Money?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 December 2008, 2:06 AM  
Superseries - now there's a good idea. When is it?

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 30 December 2008, 3:57 AM  
Great discussion on funding which seems to have blossomed into other topics like elites and contributing - my two cents on that then... I reckon it shouldn't be compulsory to take on orienteering volunteer work, especially on a continuing basis (as opposed to learning how to organise events and set courses). For me, I think the best contribution you can make to the small but well formed orienteering community is to do the things you enjoy doing, and with lots of enthusiasm. Including being an elite with elan. Being the best you can at what you do. No point trying to save the sport from extinction by trying to do everything under the sun and becoming miserable and grouchy because no-one else is contributing. Of course there's always jobs like toilet digging that need doing on the day, but 100 hours worth of mapping or organising are the huge volunteer jobs that should be done with max'mum passion because you have a concept for a great event or map etc and not because you're forced to as no-one else volunteered. If we're short of organisers or volunteers then we may need to look elsewhere for professionals (who are out there) to share the workload (but looking at TONIC there was plenty of enthusiasm and professionalism already in existence within the clubs). But I think I might be repeating what others have said now anyway so I'll stop n

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 31 March 2009, 6:31 AM  
Andy Hogg is stepping down as OA Board Member (Technical) after 5 years. As well as some technical topics he uses his last newsletter to give some views of the future of orienteering (in Australia).

"Organisation of events (or carnivals) has become increasingly more dicult. This is not technology driven { if anything, technology is saving us here. The real problem is that we commit ourselves to too many events. National carnivals now often consist of 7 or more events, while each state is holding three championships (sprint, middle and long) in addition to the badge events they have always held.

This extra workload wouldn't be a problem if only our volunteer base were expanding at the same rate. But it's not. If anything it's getting smaller. So what's the solution? It's very dfficult to reverse the trend of enhancing what our sport offers, but at some stage this must occur (or we will face a crisis in volunteering). My predictions for how this will work are that, over the next 5-10 years:
1. We will accept that most of our competitors want events close to the city and bias our event program accordingly;
2. We will also accept that most of those people don't want to volunteer and so we will effectively make event management (although not course-setting) a paid position, funded from increased entry fees;
3. Event entry will become more flexible, with most people entering beforehand on the web, but extra slots also available on the day;
4. We will drop unpopular events (such as badge events) from our program;
5. We will increase entry fees at major carnivals to fund paid carnival managers.

His newsletter is on the web at http://www.orienteering.asn.au/gfolder/technical/edition1-2009.pdf For the techies, there's stuff about proximity of controls, SI-card compatibility issues, a comparison of course-setting software, and a summary of Australia's submission to the mapping specification revision.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 31 March 2009, 8:08 AM  
Thanks Michael - interesting...

I'm in two minds about Andy's first prediction... I suspect its true that newcomers to orienteering may prefer events closer to home. However, I believe that fully initiated "orienteers" appreciate the navigational challenges of technical terrain, and they're willing to travel for it (I can't back that up with data though...).

2,3 & 5 - Yeah we'll probably have to go "pro" in one shape or form, eventually anyway. There are some roles that aren't suitable for volunteers. I see these relating primarily to (a) promotion of the sport in the market (incl schools), to funders, and in the media, and (b) management of coherent national sports admin systems such as the online database/entry system proposed by Simon.

As for prediction 4, dropping stale events sounds like the sorta thing NZ orienteers will turn into a mega-shit-fight.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 31 March 2009, 3:17 PM  
Can someone explain to me the relevance of one person's opinion about the future of O in another country with the thread topic?

Thanks.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 31 March 2009, 11:55 PM  
Headhoncho - surely making events more accessible to the general public as Michael points out will have an affect on the event levy paid to NZOF. By looking at trends in other countries, and even other sports, we can at least make a rational decision of whether we can apply any of those trends sucessfully in New Zealand for orienteering.

Michael, I agree with your assessment. I attended a SPARC workshop last year and the topic was whether the club/volunteer model was sustainable. Clubs from a number of different sports attended and it was fascinating that their number one priority was finding enough volunteers to help with club activities. No right or wrong answers here but it is an issue that needs to be addressed before it is too late.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 2 April 2009, 1:33 AM  
Honcho - since when did you become the thread-nazi?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 2 April 2009, 4:51 AM  
It's the first sign of the new-look bureaucratic Headhoncho

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 2 April 2009, 5:09 AM  
Since my wife dressed up in jackboots waving whips and chains ... oh hang on, wrong forum.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 2 April 2009, 5:35 AM  
Honcho - dont stop now, it is just getting interesting!

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 2 April 2009, 6:17 AM  
hey Honcho, thanx for the plug in your new title intro - i don't mind admitting to being smashed by yourself as a junior but it's the bit when you said you were such a ratshit athelete that hurts. Where does that leave me? Guess we must both have survived on exceptional orienteering skills at the time.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 2 April 2009, 6:48 AM  
... it would have been far more vain for both of us to admit that you really were an awesome running and orienteering machine at the time.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 2 April 2009, 3:55 PM  
Paul, back in those days you survived on hops, barley and yeast.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 3 April 2009, 2:44 AM  
Ah yes, those were the days, the only pc stuff I recall was 'police courtacy' If you were pulled over by a traffic officer he would usually help you with directions home and turn your lights on for you.

Just a thought on the fancy dress, how will we know if Honcho has entered the 80's section or if it is just his current athletic gear?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 23 April 2009, 11:08 AM  
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/opinion/editorials/2356020/Editorial-Pokie-deal-is-not-being-honoured

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz