maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Nationals

Show Profile  Chris Posted: 27 March 2008, 11:33 AM  
Thanks to the organisers for a good weekend. It takes a lot of work to put on these events and I enjoyed my courses. Is anyone going to put the nationals maps on route gadget?

Show Profile  magnus Posted: 27 March 2008, 12:48 PM  
The middle distance courses are comming as soon as I get a new power adapter for my laptop as I managed to melt the old one...

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 27 March 2008, 4:18 PM  
Sprint & Middle distance available on RouteGadget
http://www.cmorienteering.com/gadget/cgi-bin/reitti.pl

Middle & Relay to follow once map and splits received from organisers

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 28 March 2008, 4:01 AM  
RouteGadget may not be working at times over the weekend as the hosting is moving

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 2 April 2008, 9:35 AM  
Thanks Wellington and the Wairarapa. I enjoyed each and every event from the park sprint where you could push as hard as you could go, the very tight times of the trickier than expected middle, the absolutely beautiful Rangiora Pine plantation and a great spectator friendly relays.
We are so lucky to have the variety of terrain we do so most nationals are quite unique. I wonder what will Central Districts bring?

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 3 April 2008, 3:44 AM  
I would also like to say thanks for great courses and a fun weekend!

We really appreciated all your hard work.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 April 2008, 4:45 AM  
I wonder how we can get more people to put their routes onto RouteGadget - it's such a good learning thing as well as being entertaining. Seeing races that you didn't get to is valuable too.

20-22 out of 400-ish isn't very many. Do you suppose the other 380 (a) have looked but can't manage to enter their route (b) don't WANT to enter their route cos it reveals their booboos (c) know about it but haven't visited RouteGadget (d) don't know about it (e) are not internet users (f) other?

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 3 April 2008, 10:37 AM  
d

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 3 April 2008, 3:28 PM  
d

Show Profile  o'man Posted: 4 April 2008, 12:37 AM  
At the moment Route gadget is 'not obvious', meaning that most people are probably not aware that it exists, or have forgotten about or like me can't remember where to find it and have to search around for Martin's posting to find the URL (OK, got it now, it's on the MapTalk links page...).

Ideally it should be part of the normal event website. So, for example, for the nationals everyone went to http://www.nzoc08.com/ to access event information. To get route gadget better used, there should be a direct link to it under each event. I also think that this link should exist before the event (without the map of course!!) so that people will know about it. This is necessary as I think that most people will not visit the site very much (if at all) once they have seen the results.

So in summary we need the event organisers to...

1: Add route gadget links on event website
2: Load maps, splits etc onto route gadget as soon as possible after the event, the sooner the better

Show Profile  magnus Posted: 4 April 2008, 1:41 AM  
Will add the links to route gadget...

As I stated above: The main reason for the middle distance not being on there yet is I managed to burn off my laptop power cable two days before the event, so I had no way of getting the required files of my computer. The files has now been sent to Martin and should show up on route gadget as soon as...

Show Profile  o'man Posted: 4 April 2008, 2:33 AM  
Sorry Magnus, my comments weren't meant as a criticism about the Middle distance not being available (yet)! They were intended as things that might help in the future to get route gadget used more...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 April 2008, 4:48 AM  
Good club websites have a link to RouteGadget (and Winsplits) near their own results. And one would expect the NZOF website to have these links too. Then again, one would expect the NZOF result section to have some recent results...

I think it is possible to get a list of club webmasters from Stuart Payne, to save everyone phishing it out (woops I meant fishing) each time they have a recommendation like this. Perhaps it should be on the NZOF website (if not already) as the newsletter editors are in the NZO contacts page.

Who will do it?

This message was edited by Michael on 4 April 2008, 11:51 AM

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 6 April 2008, 11:23 AM  
Are we ever going to see the splits from the relay?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 April 2008, 11:59 AM  
If we had a Coaching Director, a useful learning resource could be set up on RouteGadget. A 1-leg course with the leg illustrating a particular technique, route choice is the obvious one. Competitor data synthesised so that when you play the animation the dots show the alternatives.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 6 April 2008, 5:22 PM  
Relay splits on Winsplits:
http://www.obasen.nu/winsplits/online/en/show_event.asp?id=9201

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz