maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

jwoc trials

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 31 December 2007, 7:29 AM  
is it true that some of the kids trialing cant make it to the trials because waitangis during an important school week? how much does taht suck for them or is there another trial later on in the year for them?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 31 December 2007, 7:34 AM  
None of JWOC trial races are on an official school day

This message was edited by Greg on 31 December 2007, 2:35 PM

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 31 December 2007, 10:55 AM  
yes they are greg. your wrong. most schools are back.schools changed alot since your day.nicola and rachel are trialling and are both back and sos my brother.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 31 December 2007, 11:02 AM  
Officially you will find the first compulsory day that public schools have to go back is set annually as the day after Waitangi Day. So therefore the Monday is fine, the Wednesday is fine as it is a Public Holiday as is the following Weekend.

If anyone is really serious about JWOC they will miss their first week off school easily. Also remember we did not plan the JWOC trials. Infact I honestly was against having them at Waitangi, however with not many other options for the selectors to use it was inevitable. I am sure just as many people would complain if they were held on a special weekend at another stage. Build a bridge and get over it.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 31 December 2007, 12:01 PM  
Official school dates from the NZ government start on the 7th Feb 2008, thank you Tom

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 31 December 2007, 3:33 PM  
your wrong greg, schools go back before that. head boys and girls cant get the first week off and most jwoc people have stuff like that or prefect camp.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 31 December 2007, 4:59 PM  
What would you have Greg and Simon do? They're just putting on an event and no matter when you hold an event some people can't make it for various reasons.

And when should the selectors make JWOC trials if not at Waitangi?

In 2006 I gave up the chance to be a head prefect so I could go to Waitangi and trial for JWOC. I also missed the supposedly compulsory camp that I should have attended as a prefect. You have to make a choice sometimes.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 31 December 2007, 10:15 PM  
Bitch and moan all you want Thomas, we went by the 'Official School Dates' put out by the Government, if ponsy ass rich schools want to go back when ever they feel like it then so be it, we cant control that, nor can we control when the selectors make trials, note SELECTORS not Waitangi organisers.

Amazing again how people complain after the fact but are not ever proactive in doing anything

Show Profile  Hamish Posted: 1 January 2008, 3:02 AM  
Thomas isn't bitching and moaning at all. Nor is Rachel. It's just a bit disappointing for those kids who want to do all the events and can't...but that's just life isn't it.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 1 January 2008, 5:40 AM  
Tom is actually right...and so is Greg...

2008 - SECONDARY AND COMPOSITE SCHOOLS
Term 1
Between
Tuesday 29 January (at the earliest); and
Thursday 7 February (at the latest).
To
Friday 18 April (98 - 110 half-days)

www.minedu.govt.nz/

But still doesnt change the fact that: to be the best you have to make sacrifices

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 1 January 2008, 12:12 PM  
The biggest mistake in my opinion is having the trials so early in the year. Surely Nationals would be a better time to judge the form, and candidates would have a few more races under their belts to prepare themselves. The Aussies seem to manage okay with Easter.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 1 January 2008, 6:15 PM  
A true point Rob but I think there is a lot to be saved in airfare prices by having earlier trials... This year might have been OK given that Nationals are early but if they were in late April it is getting pretty close to the time to be making flight arrangements and doing all the other managerial stuff. Plus, will form of juniors really change significantly in a month or two?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 2 January 2008, 2:29 AM  
Isn't it in the selection policy that trials have to have been held before Nationals?

Personally the biggest issue for the JWOC team that they should really be having a cry about is the fact that following the remit in 2007 at the AGM that the "NZOF pay full entry fees for all JWOC and WOC competitors", if you read the latest council minutes they say they are only going to have a team of 4 & 4 unless "exceptional circumstances"

I cannot remember who voted for or against, but Hamish how did HB vote? I think this is the biggest issue for Rachael getting into the team, not the trials. What are you going to be doing about it? Is anyone actually going to go for a repeal against the stupidist remit ever?

If you were really serious about JWOC then you'd do something about it.

Show Profile  Hamish Posted: 2 January 2008, 11:29 AM  
If I remember rightly, HBOC (not me personally) voted for the remit. If it's only 4 people Rachel will have to work even harder to make the team and that will make her a more worthy team member in my opinion. Making a NZ team shouldn't be easy.
Let's not detract from the original start to this thread - you guys are putting on a great event at Waitangi (no arguments from anyone) and should be congratulated for it. As Greg said if rich poncy schools (as well as some of our other local schools) go back early well that's just their hard luck.
I don't understand your last line - I'm a bit old for JWOC.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 2 January 2008, 1:00 PM  
If council have decided they can only afford to pay for 8 entry fees, that is fine but it shoudn't be 4&4 fixed. What if, after the trials there are 6 very strong girls and only 2 strong guys or 5&3?
Hamish, I think what Simon is getting at is you in your role as club President to put forward a less expensive remit to NZOF. I don't think many clubs realised just how expensive these events are when they approved that very dodgy remit that sounded very much the right thing to do.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 2 January 2008, 1:33 PM  
Thanks for your comments about the event, I hope we can live up to the expectations.

Cutting numbers because of financial reasons does not make it harder or easier. It just doesn't make sense, that is all. If you want to make it so that it isn't easy - then you write a selection policy that gets reviewed often and you stick to it. We do have a selection policy and the team should be picked in accordance with it. If not, we open up a massive can of works by appeals to the sports tribunal here in NZ. NZOF is obliged to adhere to its selection policies and if someone did contest at the tribunal they would easily win as long as they make the selection policy criteria.

Out of the clubs that stand to lose the most by the 4&4 policy (if you are correct in saying HB voted for the remit) two of the larger clubs (HB & PAPO) have shot themselves in the foot as they have the most people on that 5th & 6th borderline in my opinion. I know PAPO is looking at something and I hope other clubs do the same. Often the intention for such a remit is good, however it isn't the best approach and the consequences haven't been thought out thoroughly. I personally would thoroughly welcome a remit to remove what was voted in, or at least a viable amendment.

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz