maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  

m/w17 - 20e

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 10 March 2006, 5:25 AM  
My humble appologies imon ddison. I can see how important single letters are now.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 10 March 2006, 6:53 AM  
Ah, but you see, it is a change of letter, Fartin, not a missing one.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 10 March 2006, 7:32 AM  
the change is from A to E, so it should be Mertan if you are going to be correct

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 10 March 2006, 8:31 AM  
Let's get hip and call it Orienteerin and we can all be better

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 10 March 2006, 9:08 AM  
Oin' is far more hip, not so long

This message was edited by Greg on 10 March 2006, 5:09 PM

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 10 March 2006, 11:50 AM  
Some of my best friends are M21A runners.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 10 March 2006, 12:47 PM  
Aussie has a M21A-Sledge grade. With all this talk from the juniors sounds like there should be a M17-20A Sledge rather than an E grade!

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 11 March 2006, 1:12 AM  
You have friends Neil?

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 12 March 2006, 9:11 AM  
Time for me to clarify my proposal:

Proposal 1: That m/w18a and m/w20a will be replaced by a single grade, to be called m/w17-20e. The m grade will run course 1 in sprints and middle events and course 2 in classics. The w grade will run course2 in sprints and middles and course 3 in classics.

Proposal 2: That m/w18b and m/w20b will be replaced by m/w17-20a. The m grade will run course 3 at all events and the w grade will run course 4 at all events

Proposal 3: That m/w17-20b be created to run on a short red course on a course comparable to those currently run by m18b and w18b.

Proposal 4: That the junior superseries is transfered to the m/w17-20e grade.

Orienteering is a sport trying to move up in the world, think about how professional the sport appears if we rely on contacting on another and deciding ourselves what grade we should run. Doesnt it make more sense if we have a grade that all runners from 17 to 20 must run in. This will ensure a large grade at events and make selection for jwoc easier by removing confusion about age grdes and providing a stage on which all eligible juniors have to compete.

In reply to gregs comments, "Nothing is wrong here at the moment, you guys keep kicking Aussie ass and the latest set of Juniors into Elites, Bryn and Ross, both clocked up Elite wins last year, so there goes that argument." True we do have a strong group of juniors and young elites at the moment, but shouldnt we push them harder to get better. We beat the aussies, so what, none of the juniors have beaten hanny or julian lately and shouldnt we be aiming to be that good. It took some medals at commonwealth games and some top results overseas before mountain biking became an "in favour" sport at sparc, the same can be said for triathlon.

The changes to the grade structure will not affect less able runners as shorter courses willbe preserved.

In reply to michael, "seems the MTBing has an -18 class. So does orienteering. It has good fields" the only reason that there have been good fields, with descent numbers is because all of the m16's have been running up. Now we want to change the grade structure so that we can run our correct grade, in the form of m/w17-20e, and still be able to compete on a longer course against older competition.

I think that it is advantageous to run middles and sprints on course 1 because it gives us an oppourtunity to compete against the 21e grades. This is good because it makes the inevitable step to 21e smaller - we will already be used to running against such fields on shorter courses and will have some idea of the necesary speed required.

finally, how do i get a proposal about this to nzof? ive had enough i talking about it, i want it changed now, before im too old. is there enough time to get it raised at the agm at nationals?

thomas reynolds, won akl champs m18a as an m14

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 12 March 2006, 9:13 AM  
is this the longest thread on maptalk? its way longer than that nationals one.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 12 March 2006, 12:51 PM  
b grades currently run orange. dont even think about making them run red.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 12 March 2006, 1:49 PM  
You want to beat Hanny and Julian, then go and spend heaps of time orienteering over seas and not giving a toss about what the grade is called back home, thats what they do.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 12 March 2006, 11:48 PM  
"how do i get a proposal about this to nzof?"

Write to Stuart Payne and ask for this to be considered by the Technical Committee.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 13 March 2006, 2:04 AM  
"finally, how do i get a proposal about this to nzof? ive had enough i talking about it, i want it changed now, before im too old. is there enough time to get it raised at the agm at nationals?

thomas reynolds, won akl champs m18a as an m14"

You want it changed before your too old? Think about the big picture thomas instead of yourself please. Not everything in this orienteering world of ours revolves around you. We have systems in place with the NZOF, your submission to be heard at the AGM had to be submitted late last year so that the clubs could debate the idea.

Also the Auckland Champs that you are referring to in 2003 I believe had 3 people running of which noone of class was running. See what happens when you have large events around exams.

Simon Addison, Auckland Champs M18A DNS

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 13 March 2006, 2:25 AM  
Hanny did it all from Australia

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz