maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  

m/w17 - 20e

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 13 March 2006, 4:16 AM  

This message was edited by Dave Barr on 14 March 2006, 8:29 AM

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 13 March 2006, 10:10 AM  
simon and greg stop being difficult. Look at the greater part o what i am saying, not the finicky little details. I had a gues that the b grades were on a red, leave them on orange then.

thomas reynolds, would waste simon anyday

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 13 March 2006, 10:11 AM  
so could i email it to stuart or should it be in a letter.

i meant i would waste you at orienteering simon.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 13 March 2006, 10:21 AM  
I'd be interested to see that...

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 13 March 2006, 1:35 PM  
Sounds like your about to have a cry Thomas. Stop being hell bent on trying to convince everyone its better just because you say so. You have only just put forward a proposal, which after looking at it briefly is still just a name change to try and make yourselves feel better. Think about what it is going to do on the whole not just you and the merry little group that there is at the moment. Are you going to do more harm or good?? That is the question Simon has been trying to make to you but you keep being difficult. Is putting your proposal forward going to have a greater benefit on the juniors of years to come or just the dozen juniors right now.

Your example of triathlon is wrong; they got in favour by pushing it onto juniors everywhere with their tryathlons. What you’re trying to do is almost the exact opposite, in cutting out all but the top.

You shouldn’t need to change the name to push yourselves harder, if you can’t already you don’t have enough competitive drive and might as well give up now.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 13 March 2006, 2:17 PM  
Email will do.

Good to see maptalk returning to the standard of yesteryear. Jamie must be orgasmic by now.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 13 March 2006, 3:04 PM  
I could retire content...

If there was as much good stuff as there is useless drivel on maptalk.

You guys are all losers.

Love Jamie

Show Profile  Wiseone Posted: 13 March 2006, 5:09 PM  
There is too much head bashing (against each other) going on here. This thread has been going on for over 5 months, and is getting more than a little tiresome. It is getting stale. Even boring.

Many hours of writing have been submitted on this topic. Even more hours spent by lots of readers of the thread. Imagine if all that time had gone into training...there might have been a useful outcome. We might have some winners. Not the losers Jamie mentions.

Good results come from good training. At the top level, the training is long and hard. But excellent results require more than this. It is not just the training or developing skills, but having the right mindset, the attitude to want to win. It is not the 'set of characters' in the mind, like what the grade is called, that is going to produce winners.

There is a group of very good Juniors at the moment who have stepped up a grade or two over the past few years and collectively challenged themselves. This has happened in the past at various times, perhaps with smaller groups. When the current batch of talent has moved on in a few years to 21E, it may be some time before another great group comes through behind them.

Sure, take the proposal to NZOF. Let the discussion take place, let the old heads vote on it.

However, whatever that outcome, some great results at JWOC, WOC, and other international events will do hugely more for orienteering in NZ, than what particular grades are called. Work together to achieve this positive result. But guys, give up on the negative head bashing - it hurts (not just heads, but our sport overall.)

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 14 March 2006, 8:00 AM  
Dear Wiseone

Are you a baby boomer? A trade unionist? Do you work for the Ministry of Education or are you just taking the piss?

Don't tell us to suck eggs! NZ elites and juniors working together is one of the strengths of our sport at a national level and has been for a long time (most red-level coaching undertaken in NZ is done by elites) and a bit of harmless mutual deprecation on MAPTALK won't stand in the way of that.

You imply that we should just accept the fact that "great groups" will only come once in a while...why? If we can create exciting opportunities as has been done with the schools team to Australia and a junior superseries, we can and should expect this torrent of talent to become a norm.

I for one still believe that something needs to be done about MW20 to bridge the gap between junior and elite and Thomas's suggestion is as good as any.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 14 March 2006, 8:24 AM  
"This thread has been going on for over 5 months, and is getting more than a little tiresome. It is getting stale. Even boring."

Ahhh, one of the amusing things about internet forums. If I read something that I find is getting tiresome / stale / boring, I stop reading it and never return. For some reason there are others who would rather waste even more time pointing out how tiresome / stale / boring a certain thread is, than just ignoring it and doing something else with their precious remaining minutes in life.

Dear Wiseone, what you find tiresome / stale / boring, others may find energising / fresh / orgasmic. If this isn't your cup of tea, move on.

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 14 March 2006, 8:54 AM  
"Love Jamie" - is that a closing or a request?

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 14 March 2006, 9:57 AM  
Thank you Jamie. Although his appearance and apparent lack of intelligence due to a brain wasting disease give the impression of an ageing and "stale" man, Jamie has a hidden youth buried inside. Deep inside...

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 14 March 2006, 2:18 PM  
I just had a quick look at this and haven't read everything but I have to say I agree with wise one that more time should be spent training than putting each other down. Sure I think it's good to describe ideas here but why do you put each other down so much? Carsten has come through in a group of good Danish orienteers including Chris Terkelsen and Allan Mogensen (with the three of them each having individual WOC medals and together with Torben they got a relay gold in 1997) and the thing you notice about them is that they are good friends and support each other. Yes they tease each other but not that kind of negative stuff that happens on here. And the other thing is they trained/train their asses off!

It seems to me that a good thing for junior orienteering would be
to have a few more of the Waitangi weekend type events which encourage
competition and are fun. The league and Neil's sheilds also sound good. I don't think the regrading is needed if there are these sorts
of events maybe 2 to 3 a year. And probably won't help if there aren't these events.

Yes Hanny lives in Australia, Martin but she has spent at least one longish period of time in Sweden (2-3 months). I think that can help quite a lot but Hanny's main advantage, along with her natural talent, is that she's a lot fitter than most. She probably does as much training in a day then many of Maptalk's contributors do in a week!

I'm old right through there's no hidden youth at all.

This message was edited by Jenni on 14 March 2006, 10:25 PM

This message was edited by Jenni on 15 March 2006, 10:54 PM

Show Profile  mark Posted: 15 March 2006, 1:15 AM  
"why do you put each other down so much?"

Its part of New Zealand culture Jenni you dumbarse

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 15 March 2006, 2:50 AM  
" "Love Jamie" - is that a closing or a request? "

obviously a request, which SJ responded to by getting "Deep inside".

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz