maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14  

World Orienteering Champs 2008 Czech Republic

Show Profile  John Marshall Posted: 19 July 2008, 12:19 PM  
Live tracking just went live... Ross is en route to #5.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 19 July 2008, 12:27 PM  
Ross at 1st radio with 3rd starter Robert Banach. Schgaguler has overtaken him

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 19 July 2008, 12:36 PM  
How's the tracking going? I figure the best way to do this would be to have several computers or screens at least, lined up, one (or more) for the splits, one for tracking, one for maptalk (of course!), one for TV when it's live... howabout next year a bunch of us take over an internet cafe for WC week?

Show Profile  John Marshall Posted: 19 July 2008, 12:43 PM  
Tracking is pretty interesting, but they all seem to be in GSM dead spots at the moment so you can't see their routes or movement. Khramov's is totally dead, so he looks like he's still in the holding pen even though he just went through the radio control (with the fastest time).

You get to see the map, which is pretty cool. Presumably those loops between 19 and 24 are marked less incomprehensibly on the competitors' maps!

(TV replays are at 8:30 and 15:00 tomorrow by my calculations, btw, so you don't need to get up early to watch them.)

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 19 July 2008, 1:00 PM  
Seline Stalder's had a great start - another plug for prospective top orienteers getting in some NZ time!

Show Profile  John Marshall Posted: 19 July 2008, 1:02 PM  
Ross now at the map change, facing the big long leg. And it just occurred to me that we can see that long route choice leg coming up, but of course the runners don't get that luxury -- pick up the second map and they're straight into it!

(Well, he *was* at the map change when I started writing this...)

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 19 July 2008, 1:18 PM  
uh oh, pack of starters 2,3,4 through radio 2 without Ross

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 19 July 2008, 1:45 PM  
Internet reliability starting to get a bit like last year (Ukraine) all over again

Show Profile  John Marshall Posted: 19 July 2008, 1:49 PM  
No kidding, though I don't remember that problem from last year :-)

I think the commentary just told us that radio #5 is the spectator control (#26) and Ross went through it a couple of minutes ago. Now if only that radio #5 window would update...

Show Profile  John Marshall Posted: 19 July 2008, 1:50 PM  
Magic, I post that and things start updating again...

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 19 July 2008, 2:04 PM  
Starting to wonder if Ross is hurt? Seems to be losing a consistent proportion of time on each split, which doesn't seem like him.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 19 July 2008, 2:15 PM  
haha, a consistent proportion of time lost on each just means that is feckin physically hard. Good work rossco, im off to town to have a drink on your behalf. Hope you recover for 1st leg of relay tomorrow

The commentator mentioned at the start that Ross is one of only 4 guys to run every race so far including the three finals.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 19 July 2008, 2:17 PM  
Yay Dana! (had her pegged as a potential champ a few years back, but seems things have never quite gone right for her)

Ross finished in c 2 hrs 17 a little while back

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 19 July 2008, 3:02 PM  
Men's finish getting quite exciting, or would be if I wasn't having to reopen windows every 20 secs

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 20 July 2008, 11:12 AM  
Women's relay under way
Every title so far has gone to a different country. So for that pattern to continue we'll have to see Sweden win the Women's, while the Men will go to... hmmm... Ukraine? Britain? Slovakia? Australia? ah, I know: New Zealand =)

Seriously though my picks: Women Norway, possibly Czech
Men Switzerland, or otherwise Russia, maybe even France finally

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz