maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7  

Myths About Orienteering

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 10 August 2007, 12:57 PM  
Yeah, the team have been once again trying to convince me that running is an enjoyable thing. Taxi's are so cheap here I'd catch one of those. My philosophy on running is simple, I only run if I need to get something in a hurry or if I have to run away from something in a hurry e.g. short beach sprint where I have to race to grab a cold beer planted in the sand or the beach sprint that follows as I run away from the guy that actually owns the beer. But he'd probably catch me as downing a drink on the run only takes a few seconds after I'd spilled most of it. Then I'd be spent and he can have what's left of it back. But I'm sure beer can cover the 5 a day requirement, so maybe there's hope.
The only part of this posting that's a myth is the part about spilling.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 11 August 2007, 7:42 AM  
sounds reasonable - the conversion factor for keen supporters would then be 5 beers per top 20 finish (top 6 for relay). Obviously gets messy for some of us when there's more than 1 top 20 but thats all part of the sacrifices to be made for elite spectators (and members of the x-squad)...will start stocking the beer fridge immediately

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 11 August 2007, 10:12 AM  
Mick, your eternal optmism proceeds you.... it will no doulbt be a very, very dry relay event.
Has there be a serious malfunction with the odds programmer for a top 6 result? I demand a recount so we at least have some hope of the taste of beer touching our lips in the relay, please!

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 11 August 2007, 2:51 PM  
mayhap a top 15 is a frothier call

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 20 August 2007, 12:12 PM  
Thanks to the magic of the internet you can follow the exciting action at the World Champs live without leaving home.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 21 August 2007, 12:42 AM  
Your doctors will be pleased no doubt, as the maximum beer intake, by my calculations, is 10 per day over the 3 finals. Lucky we're not Swedish.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 21 August 2007, 2:44 PM  
Ellmers isn't blacklisted by international customs.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 October 2007, 3:43 AM  
It's a slow news week, so...

The universal distress signal is six short blasts on your whistle.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 16 October 2007, 5:14 AM  
I think everyone is in a sort of hybination... is this relentless crappy weather driving anyone else mad? (apart from the absolutely possitively Welly lot, who would be used to it I guess!)I've tried to harden up, but it's not much fun training slippery wet clay when half the time you're just trying to stay upright.

Last weekends AK Sprint was a reminder to me that you shouldn't forget about incorporating speedwork into you training sessions.

I'm looking forward to Whanawhana and The Slump in a few days from now. Both maps I've never run on of seen. No time now for last minute hill training - only trying to prepare your body to be fresh and mind to be focussed!

Show Profile  mark Posted: 16 October 2007, 5:47 AM  
what crappy weather?

Show Profile  John Marshall Posted: 16 October 2007, 6:51 AM  
Slow news week... okay:

So a week after the WOC I was sitting in a park in Odessa killing time before catching an overnight train, when a Swiss girl started chatting to me, having guessed that my backpack meant I too was a foreigner.

She wondered what I was doing in Ukraine. I answered orienteering, and steeled myself for the usual "you know, it's running in the forest with a map and compass" conversation.

Was rather surprised when her response was "oh wow -- news from home! How did Simone do?"

And it turned out that her father was a friend of Matthias Merz's parents, so she was very pleased to hear that he had won the long.

...which is all further evidence that "it's a small world" is not a myth.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 October 2007, 2:01 PM  
So you could start a thread for "un-myths" John:-))

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 16 October 2007, 2:10 PM  
Truths even

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 October 2007, 3:27 PM  
Wayne Barnes has now become an IOF Senior Event Advisor, as he is well known for his fair calls for all competitors he is officiating.

If you are French, don't worry about having to run to all the controls or having to bother to punch them - Wayne has full confidence you will stick to the rules without him calling you up on it.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 October 2007, 12:17 PM  
If we move the junior classes up a colour, they won't need to run up.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz