maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

State of Origin

Show Profile  addison Posted: 25 August 2006, 3:09 AM  
For those that hadn't worked out that we are running Waitangi Weekend again next year... how do you like the sound of a "State Of Origin" relay?

It would mean you race for your REGION in the first club that you began orienteering.

To even it up, Taranaki is back in the CDOA.
My money would be on CDOA Winning.

What would the teams be?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 25 August 2006, 3:18 AM  
And it would probably be 2guys 1 girl

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 25 August 2006, 3:18 AM  
My money is on Taranaki itself winning.
Karl, Brent, Me or Greg Barbour.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 25 August 2006, 3:33 AM  
Wasnt Brent BOP?

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 25 August 2006, 6:36 AM  
Are you the girl, Neil? or Greg B?

PAPO itself with Carsten, Chris and Sara (or me or Lara if she's back)
Southerly Storm would get back Rach and Reb but lose ACW and Rob
J, if we even have him at the moment, so I reckon we're looking unbeatable in the two 2 guys and a girl format.

It sounds fun, Simon but I'm not sure it should count in the Superseries as it would be a bit funny to have two "clubs" in the same competition.

This message was edited by Jenni on 25 August 2006, 4:28 PM

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 25 August 2006, 6:41 AM  
So it'll be a 4-day weekend then? Neat.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 25 August 2006, 7:37 AM  
"It would mean you race for your REGION in the first club that you began orienteering."

So, just to be pedantic, wouldn't Carsten be running for somewhere in Denmark, Sara for somewhere in Sweden, and Greg B for... wherever he was living when he started orienteering? If they couldn't be bothered recruiting team members from "home", then I'd be pretty tempted to put money on this "Rest of the World" team!

Show Profile  James Posted: 25 August 2006, 8:16 AM  
I reckon the state of origin relay sounds like heaps of fun, and it would be interesting to see who would come out on top.
But i think that we should have a proper superseries relay (i.e. running for the region you are currently affiliated too) because we only seem to do this once a year, its awesome fun, and creates a better team atmosphere It would be a shame to side swipe this part of the superseries, in order for those born in the CDOA to feel better about themselves and their place of origin.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 25 August 2006, 8:29 AM  
I interpreted first club as first NZ club

Show Profile  addison Posted: 25 August 2006, 9:00 AM  
A side swipe to make CDOA people feel good? Sounds great to me! Im just stirring some debate here James, but feel free to run a relay if you want one so bad.

We havent yet decided on a structure of events for the weekend as we are still confirming maps and event status etc. But be sure it will have lots of orienteering packed into the event, potentially including relay(s).

Yes Michael a 4-day weekend. Sure people have to take the Monday off, but what orienteer wouldn't? Also Schools start up on the Wednesday so they are sweet as well.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 26 August 2006, 9:16 AM  
Just to make it really interesting, what about defining origin as place of birth. Would love to see the reaction of the other regions if WOA managed to bring over its ultimate secret weapon. (Not quite THE ultimate secret weapon, but close, really close)

I think I'm with James though, in thinking an "origin" relay would be great, but if there's only interest in organising one relay over the 4 days, the Superseries should get priority. If it is feasible to have 2 relays, then go for it - brilliant!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 27 August 2006, 10:50 AM  
A state of origin relay which was not a superseries event could maybe have some age groups. But if you want to keep it simple then fine.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 5 September 2006, 1:26 AM  
guess Tania,s state of origin?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 5 September 2006, 5:05 AM  
CD?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 5 September 2006, 5:06 AM  
Or Auckland.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 5 September 2006, 5:19 AM  
not many guesses left simon! is it auckland, for the SA club?

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz