maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

Auckland Champs

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 19 September 2006, 5:38 AM  
Have a start box at the start and anyone late can punch it, this will over write their pre-programed start time in the SI program. Thats the easiest way we discovered at Waitangi this year.

Show Profile  Dave Posted: 19 September 2006, 6:47 AM  
Just for the record I'll do nearly anything for $15 an hour ......

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 19 September 2006, 6:56 AM  
Just be aware Jenni, that the babysitter guidelines for New Zealand state that a babysitter should be at least 14 years old and someone you know is responsible. If something happens you could be prosecuted although I suspect an orienteering event is very safe with
lots of people around all the time.

My wife and I weren't aware of this 'rule' and almost got our 13 year old niece to babysit our young boy.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 19 September 2006, 9:06 AM  
Nice one Jenni, and good on yer Rob and Rolf. I think some more flexibility in start time rules for parents would be good for our major events. I would guess that over 50% of the major events with block starts that we enter in (here and Aussie) have one or more start time splits that are not wide enough, and we end up scanning the start lists for potential babysitters. Admittedly neither Ali nor I are particularly fast in our chosen grades, but I think there are quite a few parents in a similar situation. In extreme cases changes are usually possible (that includes in Aussie too) but it's a pain for the organisers to deal with all the 11th hour changes. Greg's suggestion sounds great, but obviously there would have to be some sort of parental prenotification of a possible late start or anyone could roll up late with a hangover and start without penalty. Some of the middle red courses get quite full so you might be waiting a while if you miss your start too.
The most kid friendly event we ever attended was WMOC in Italy where there was a subsidised creche at 1 euro/day with heaps of activities for the kids, including a visit to a local cheese factory! Child care was our single biggest concern leading up to the event but it was just so well organised, it was as much a highlight as the orienteering itself. Now I know we don't have the resources for that sort of thing here, but start time flexibility for parents as outlined in this thread is relatively easy and could make a huge difference.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 19 September 2006, 9:39 AM  
Greg mucked up his dates and is coming Tuesday and Bruce is coming on Thursday next week, and reckons his running at the moment is an embarrassment, so he is concentrating on mtb.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 September 2006, 2:18 PM  
I don't think any more flexibility is needed in the start time rules - look them up. All you have to do is ask.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 20 September 2006, 1:20 PM  
I see the start times are stuffed again
Last year I had seven out of nine first starts
These champs I start 2nd on day one and first on day two
So much for fair competition.
sucks

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 20 September 2006, 1:34 PM  
But did they manage to get even start intervals unlike nationals??

Show Profile  Dave Posted: 21 September 2006, 12:53 AM  
Robbie I really don't think there is a big conspiricy out to get you so i don't think you can claim that the start times are stuffed. The thing about random draws is that they are random and yes someone has to start 1st and yes it is possible that some people unfortunately have to start earlier each time. But if you forget about that and think about your race I'll sure you'll be just fine. What difference will it make to you if you run the perfect race and kick butt??!!

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 22 September 2006, 2:26 PM  
Thanks Dave
As Ross brighouse would say "catch me if you can"
But have you noticed my wife,s start times
Yes 2nd on day one and 1st on day two
strange that!

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 22 September 2006, 2:39 PM  
Maybe someone just doesn't like you

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 22 September 2006, 4:22 PM  
What're you complaining about Robbie - that's an excellent "family start time allocation" (with the assumption that your child is now old enough to look after herself ;-) ).

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 23 September 2006, 10:21 AM  
7 seconds ay Neil.....

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 23 September 2006, 1:16 PM  
The area was faster than we thought with Carsten and Darren doing 72 for 12.8 kms, and was a very popular new map. We'll use it again with additions to the south during the week/weekend following nationals next year.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 24 September 2006, 9:05 AM  
Sorry Marquita, perhaps you forgot to read the programme, the Auckland champs consist of both days added together. Whether Brent beat me by 7 seconds or 30 on day one is completely irrelevent. Go back to selectors school.

Kind Regards
Neil

This message was edited by Neil K on 24 September 2006, 5:06 PM

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz