maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Auckland Rogaine Series - The Fox Hunt

Show Profile  david@thefoxhunt.co.nz Posted: 6 June 2006, 2:02 AM  
Morning all.

Just to let you know, I'm helping organise a city rogaine around Auckland.

www.thefoxhunt.co.nz

Check it out.

David

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 2 July 2006, 4:04 AM  
an 'interesting' turnout. 21 competitors in 8 teams... Something didn't work out.

Show Profile  James Posted: 2 July 2006, 1:42 PM  
I believe it was the overpriced entry fee
something like $60 to run around the streets of auckland, with no major prizes.............i contemplated it because it was close to home, but the entry fee put me off! especially when we get a smaller scale version through the summer series for a few dollars.
Or in wellington, they do 3hr rogaines for about $3, maybe its $5?? either way, heaps cheaper

Show Profile  superOman Posted: 2 July 2006, 3:07 PM  
Its all about promotion plus presentation
The city safari in wellington attracted 250+ people but then the map was an orienteering map of the whole city - not a streetmap copied. No major prizes advertised but the were wine and vouchers etc given to the winners. Sponsored travel passes bibs etc from local bodies

I would agree $60 too much for your event

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 August 2006, 8:17 AM  
Very comprehensive written briefing includes this little gem:

• Anyone lost must return to HQ

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 August 2006, 2:47 AM  
The third Fox Hunt on Sunday used an orienteering map of the domain as well as the street map. A nifty solution to the problem of lack of detail and even accuracy on maps that cover a large area - brings to mind military orienteering contests where you might be called on to use a topo, o-map, photo, sketch, etc. And the nordic micr-O involved a scale-change within the event.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz