maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

points scoring

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 26 May 2006, 10:51 AM  
Thomas, develop a thick skin and keep throwing your ideas out.

Sport in general has an issue with keeping school leavers interested in sport. Martin, no-one has come up with any magic solution to maintain school leavers' interest and participation in any sport.

Nick, what clubs get out of school events is a group of young people who have at least shown some interest in our sport - not all of them will join the converted but there are plenty of examples of orienteers who have contributed to our sport (whether it be through being a top competitor, or valued volunteer) who were introduced to our sport through school.

Show Profile  Nah Posted: 26 May 2006, 12:14 PM  
Nah!

How about you don't develop a thick skin, you just go have a cry with you're buddies from cycling.

So Nah!

Show Profile  JD Posted: 26 May 2006, 1:36 PM  
Is there a schools trophy for the top school at the park events in Aucklnad?
I dont know how it works in the rest of the country but in Auckland there is a summer park series. Points are awarded to schools but no where near as many school compititors partake compared to the number that take part at ASS, NISS and NZSSC. If we had a points system at the events leading up to the Championships, whether it be Regional or National, that resulted in prizes, trophys, more secondary school competitors will be encouraged to compete. So we turn the large numbers into good orienteers.
Thinking about the original topic I don't no where I'm going with this because it will mean the schools that turn up with smaller numbers will get annihilated(Kings, Westlake etc)
I was probably thinking more about keeping athletes competing after their school years. If competitors achieved better placings and were trying to improve their game they will keep orienteering, whereas chances are that they will stop after school if they're only going to attend a regional, islandal?, and national champs (3events) a year.

Show Profile  Kate Posted: 28 May 2006, 1:55 PM  
Given that now there seems to be large numbers at the secondary schools events (over 300 at NISS) why don't clubs monopolise on the situation? There are usually a number of people from the various clubs at these events; their club has organised the event, they coach a school team, they have kids competing, or they are coaching juniors. With the club members already there why not try to do a little active recruiting? A club banner here, a club o suit or t-shirt there and a few approachable people wandering around with them and kids might become a little more aware of the club o scene. Pehaps we shouldn't be asking how do we make the kids come to club orienteering? Instead how should club orienteering go to the kids?

Show Profile  nick Posted: 29 May 2006, 6:04 AM  
1. what will keep kids in orienteering? i think: friendships, coherent competition and the sense of belonging to a 'community'. we might need a new thread for this one.

2. i appreciate what you're saying honcho, but i'm still wondering why we have school events *and* club events and why they seem to be on different planets. surely, there must be some reason for the separation. what is it? is it a scheduling thing? is it someones micro-political fiefdom? OSH? just because? AND we might need a new thread here as well.

3. thats a good question kate

4. islandal? nope (but i know what you mean JD)

5. back to the thread (aside from the fact that schools O is alienated from the O mainstream) it seems sound to me Tom. Looks like theres prizes to award both numbers and performance. Like what Paul was saying too; Westlake's a strong sporting school - you could spearhead the development of your school's O team. NWOC has plans (almost) in the pipeline for developing its relationship with schools... come and talk to me about it at QB. In any case, keep on posting mate - at the very least you're the catalyst for some good discussions.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 May 2006, 7:55 AM  
Nick, I think you are imagining a separation where none exists.

We would like to get more people orienteering. There are lots of competing leisure activities specially for college age. Turns out that running events called "school champs" attracts them. (And maybe also works because it motivates those who make entry and travel arrangements.) Turns out that labelling club events "college series" also works on a local level.

So you think that doesn't filter thru into attendance at events not so labelled? Here are the starters in the NZ Long Champs, per year of age group:
0-12 3.0
13-18 12.5
19-20 6.5
21-39 4.8
40-49 8.7
50-59 8.2
60-69 3.1
70-79 0.5

As well as the high participation at college age, we might also note that the worry about a bulge of veterans moving ever-upwards seems to be lessening with the 40's slightly larger than the 50's. The real problem area is not even the immediate post-school which we have worried about; but the 21-39 group.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 29 May 2006, 10:23 AM  
Thanks Michael. So thats the reason... you attract more schools kids by calling it schools O. So simple. I think I could be beginning to understand the dynamic.

attracting and retaining the 21-39yr old age group is another kettle of fish. (1) half the battle is image. freshen up our O tops. create more atmosphere around event centres. demystify some of the language we use. increase our presence in outdoor/adventure media (2) the other half is having a coherent season (but i won't start that one again) (3) the *other* half is remembering that whereas New Guy started O at 20-something years old, he's racing against guys with 10-20 years experience. He might need some support beyond ad-hoc chats in the carpark. like, have a post-mortem tent for newcomers. And in this sport you're "new" for at least 3-5 years!

let start a new thread with this...

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 30 May 2006, 2:11 AM  
So tell me more about this coherent season idea.

Show Profile  Chris Posted: 1 June 2006, 1:27 PM  
It seems to me that there is more than just a bit of "compass envy" with regard to the success of HB schools in orienteering. HB schools do well because people like Geoff and Derek give their time to encourage kids to give it a go. That is why we get 200 competitors plus at club events until after the HB relay champs in June. Some stick and join up as members. Others will remember the sport when they can no longer see their toes at age 28 and want to get fit. Whichever way you look at it, we need people in schools coaching and encouraging all to try it. One day the SPARC might see the light and fund an orienteering program through all the schools with a coaching director in each region!

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz