maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

' THE ZOO SPRINT '

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 19 May 2006, 10:12 AM  
THE ZOO SPRINT

It’s all on!!! We’ve got over 40 confirmed starters for the ZOO SPRINT on 2 June with 12 of those venturing from across the Tasman. With the cream of our Junior and Senior Elites showcasing their orienteering talent, it will be difficult for spectators and the general public not to see our orienteers screaming around the course.

We’ll be pushing the start back to 3.30 to make sure everyone is on hand to start and aiming to ensure that we give spectators the best chance to see the furious and fast paced nature of Sprint Orienteering. So drag along friends, family, drunken acquaintances; whoever, to see what orienteering in the Urban Jungle is all about.

The best viewing will be from the Auckland Zoo Car Park, but admission to the Zoo is still available up until 4.15pm.

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 26 May 2006, 7:02 AM  
Check out the entries

http://web.mac.com/cmoc/iWeb/Counties%20Manukau%20Orienteering%20Club/Zoo%20Sprint.html

Also, as posted on another thread, there's a dinner afterwards to kick off the weekends events.

Date: Friday 2nd June 2006
Time: Open from 5.15 pm (showers available for Sprint Event competitors)
Meal: Available from 6.00 pm until about 7.45 pm.
Dinner meal consisting of hot ham, chicken, potatoes, salads and finger food.
Cost: Meal $15.00 per person – children’s meals $5.00 - pay at the venue
Bar: Full bar service

Others: are very welcome to join in even if not having a meal
BUT: it is essential to know names and numbers of those who will be wanting a meal so an appropriate amount of food is ready.
Please: reply with name and numbers requesting a meal to selwyn@quicksilver.net.nz or phone Selwyn Palmer (09) 6257798 before Sunday 28th May

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 26 May 2006, 10:09 AM  
What does it mean if you didn't make the invite list and are all the start times for all the days up yet??

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 26 May 2006, 4:35 PM  
With 2 exceptions those racing in the Zoo Sprint have come from the NOS, D-Squad, are National 18 or 16 title holders, an AUS bushranger or an AUS elite. That's a pretty broad invite list. However, while I'm waiting for a final confirmation before I post start times, I'm willing to take 2 more entries.
Here's the criteria: If someone believes they can come within 3 minutes of the fastest mens time, if they're a guy, or come within 3 minutes of the fastest womens time, if you're a women,then email me as per the contact at the above posted web address. But as with all good things, it comes with a catch...there'll be a forfeit if you don't meet the 3 minute criteria. The forfeit will be decided (within reason) by the men's and women's winners on the day. So if you think you can run balls out, come within the 3 minute criteria and aren't afraid of the consequences if you don't; then you should probably be in this race anyway.

Ohhh, and as for the start times for the rest of the weekend. Wouldn't have a clue. The Zoo Sprint stands on it's own two,four... whatever, legs from the rest of the weekends events.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 29 May 2006, 3:34 AM  
Has the storming Gorman put his name down?

Show Profile  John Marshall Posted: 29 May 2006, 3:55 AM  
Stormin' Gorman's name's not down for the first Saturday event either. If his arrival from out of town didn't suit that event, I guess he won't be making it to the Zoo either. So the lack of a Gorman invasion is another instance of the following general comment:

It would have been a lot easier for us out-of-towners to come along to the Zoo Sprint if we'd known about it back when we were making travel arrangements!

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 29 May 2006, 9:23 AM  
its weird hows there's a lack of competitors from PAPO, were we left out of the loop?

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 29 May 2006, 10:55 AM  
Well its quite simple Simon, the Zoo sprint is a media event with TV coverage. You need to look good aswell as run fast. Sorry PAPO.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 29 May 2006, 11:06 AM  
"You need to look good as well as run fast."

Guess that counts you out ...

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 29 May 2006, 11:10 AM  
its got nothing to do with clubs, its being put on by high performance (eg clem)

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 29 May 2006, 11:38 AM  
Yeah, it's a shame Mr Gorman won't be making it as I will miss seeing his gazelle like form streaking around the course. He mentioned the other week that he would in fact be stuck in a bit of bush, so I figured that might not be such a bad thing. Although I think he's refering to work.
Yeah it's also a shame there aren't so many PAPO entries, I thought if anyone was going to be in any sort of loop it would be PAPO. However, with 5 of the elites playing in other countries and 3 with other committments, I'm just stoked that we've got as many looped PAPO types as we do.
I would have loved to have promoted the event a bit more but there's been some strange stuff going on in the past few month's. For example, I've just had the building consent approved today, seems you can't even put up an umbrella in Auckland without someone wanting to pay you rent and move in. But as of today I can actually say that short of god being gutted for being left off the invite list, oops sorry about that, or the animals mass stampeding and crushing every orienteer on sight, it is now most definitely all go. Even the news papers are talking to me. Now all I need is someone to volunteer and run naked through the Lion enclosure to get the publicity shot they're asking for. Any volunteers?

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 29 May 2006, 1:15 PM  
I volunteer Head Honcho. It will be good training for his stag night.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 30 May 2006, 3:21 AM  
I volunteer Neil. It will be good training for his europe trip.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 30 May 2006, 7:42 AM  
I volunteer Simon A - but if it's cold he could wear his wrestling outfit.

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 30 May 2006, 10:02 AM  
and if the lions dont get him, i will.

Show Profile  maxwell Posted: 31 May 2006, 12:19 AM  
il do it

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz