maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Protests: Has the rule change worked?

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 22 May 2006, 2:37 AM  
I can definitely see where Jamie is coming from. I was given a ridiculous amount of shit up to five years after I took the decision to protest at national secondary schools. This was despite (a) I was the fastest (except Lauri who was ineligible) to the dodgy control (b) I was the third fastest to the finish from that control (behind Lauri and another competitor who was well behind at that stage) (c) the mistake was due to the fact the controller was also the mapper and (d) It was the third time in five years that the result in that grade was determined by an error on the part of the organisers. Yes I did think long and hard about it, got the blessing of the person who would have won and discussed it at length with the organisers. Because of that action I got branded of all things a cheat. I refused to attend any events for the following two years after that incident so I am not at all surprised by Jamies stance.

However I think there were no problems with the former system, the problem was with peoples attitude toward protesting, and it is that which needed changing. The perception out there is that the organisers worked hard etc. but I believe that you pay good money for them to GET IT RIGHT. I like the idea of a fee (the fee is returned if the protest is successful), but the change that I always thought should have been made is that the entry fee should be refunded as well as the protest fee. That would have given a pecuniary incentive to protesting as well as a penalty for frivolous protests, as well as a further incentive to get it right (imagine having to refund the entry fees for the largest grade at Nationals?)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 May 2006, 6:58 AM  
In the newer forms of orienteering (rogaines, MTBO, City Safari) people come back with a grin from ear to ear saying "wow, that was great!" and there is no talk of protesting.

In time, I suppose, these forms will mature, we'll have independant checking and rules and protest procedures and grizzles about the course and grizzles about using or not using the protest procedure, and new friendly sub-protest procedures, and grizzles about using those.

By then, I'll be working on some more new forms of orienteering, and people will be coming back with grins....

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 22 May 2006, 7:13 AM  
You were not at the MTB-O on Sunday Michael so dont claim that people come back grinning from ear to ear.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 22 May 2006, 8:31 AM  
Michael said:

"In the newer forms of orienteering (rogaines, MTBO, City Safari) people come back with a grin from ear to ear saying "wow, that was great!" and there is no talk of protesting."

Mark Copeland said in his report from the 2004 NZ Rogaining Championships:

"Placement of 7 of the controls were protested and 6 of these have been upheld."

I don't remember too many grins from the first time I controlled the NZ MTBO Champs either, due to course lengths.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 22 May 2006, 8:45 AM  
Pat yourself on the back Honch. Orienteers love to complain, and providing them with things to complain about gives them what they want.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 22 May 2006, 9:50 AM  
Just a thought re: negative reactions from controllers towards complaints...

It is possible that complaints are submitted in really negative language. Angry snarling and finger pointing is a sure fire way to back someone into a corner and voila!: negative reaction.

Maybe part of the problem?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 23 May 2006, 3:11 AM  
Yeah imagine this nick..

"Wow what an awesome courses, especially number 11. I got to this feature thinking the control should be there, and it wasnt. It was awesome, like having a treasure hunt! Sure did get value for money having to spend an extra xxx minutes out there! p.s can we invalidate the course"

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz