maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

junior superseries

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 5 May 2006, 1:22 PM  
no disrespect to anyone, but isnt the junior superseries a bit of a joke this year.

Show Profile  Nah Posted: 5 May 2006, 3:34 PM  
Nah!

Just because you've got no chance doesn't mean it isn't any good. Don't slag something off when you're not going to win.

So Nah!

Show Profile  addison Posted: 8 May 2006, 4:56 AM  
Your a fucking dick tom, at least turn up to an event before you go slagging it off

Show Profile  James Posted: 8 May 2006, 6:59 AM  
Tom isnt a fucking dick, hes an awesome athlete that is a NZ rep in two different sports.
He trains hard at his mountain biking, doesnt do too much o-ing then comes along and kicks everyones butt!
Hes just voicing his opinion, and is fully entitled to do so.
And i happen to agree (simon you may think im a fucking dick because i dont run in the junior superseries either, but still choose to slag it off, but quite frankly, i dont give a f**k what you think)

In principle i think the junior SS is good, but feel that maybe it started off a bit too soon after the senior version. Also without the Junior elite grade established (17-20e) i dont think that this will ever really work. Because there are a number of younger juniors running 16's and 18's that could possibly win the overall title but still run their appropriate age grade at important events like nationals. But then looking at results from last weekend when Jourdan Harvey(m16) cleans up on the saturday, then Simon Jager(m18) does the same on Sunday, absolutely smashing the M20's that were there.

Another reason i feel the junior SS is weak, the top juniors want to be the best, so they want to race against the best, whcih means running senior elite, which in turn weakens the junior grades......

Show Profile  nick Posted: 8 May 2006, 9:47 AM  
although james... theres nothing to stop a good athlete from being a right tool

tom you might look like less of a dick if you posted some reasons for your poor opinion of the junior superseries.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 8 May 2006, 10:23 AM  
Tom must have a reason why he thinks that the junior super series is a joke...maybe its to provoke Simon...anyway...

And James, why do you think it started to soon?
The sooner something starts the sooner it will become better. look at the Super 12 which has become the Super 14. Im sure the when it started out as the Super 10 not many people thought that it turn in to the competion that it is now.

One reason why it maybe a joke, is that it is alot harder for Juniors to travel all over the place to events(especially from the SI), as they dont get all of their flights paid for, and getting time off school is also hard.

The top juniors have only raced in the SS(06) in a select few events where the total number of entrants was not that high, or in sprint events. One of which those was before the Junior Superseries started

Show Profile  James Posted: 8 May 2006, 12:25 PM  
Well what i meant by saying it started too early, was that it didnt have the financial backing support that is needed to sustain such a series. Like you have pointed out Tane, without financial support, it is not likely that all the top juniors will show upto all the events in the series.
I mean look at the senior equivalent. Round five last weekend. 3 south islanders came, and only 3-4 from the northern team, and thats with full travel reimbursement available!!!! Which actually makes NZ's elite series look like a bit of a joke as well. considering that NZ elites moaned and complained that there were no top quality events on this time of year. So Red Kiwis were asked to put on races specially for us (well the sprint race at least) and not many show up!!

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 8 May 2006, 12:33 PM  

This message was edited by Greg on 8 May 2006, 8:49 PM

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 May 2006, 1:05 PM  
An interesting take on science funding in the DomPost today: Leonardo da Vinci turned down for a grant for Mechanical Engineering Development - completely impractical. Einstein: research into the Theory of Everything, falls outside Treasury's science guidelines. Darwin's case for development of a Theory of Evolution declined, far exceeds the maximum one-year grants available. Ernest Rutherford: violates NZ's anti-nuclear policy.

Looking back on the first year of the Senior Superseries: there were 12 events with 6 to count, but only 6 men and 4 women gained 6 or more scores.

Show Profile  Nah Posted: 8 May 2006, 2:20 PM  
Nah!

James, you're looking as much of a wanker as that loud-mouthed wheel-wielding Jafa. Perhaps he gives your butt more than just a kick.

So Nah!

This message was edited by Nah on 8 May 2006, 11:25 PM

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 8 May 2006, 2:25 PM  
I think the introduction of the Junior SuperSeries was a great move. It begins to give juniors the same high level competition that seniors have had for the last few years.

Look at the standings of the Series at the moment - it's as tight as you could hope. In the men's grade there are 5+ competitors who could still win. And as Tane points out, the sooner you get something up and running, the sooner you can iron out its flaws and improve it. There will always be problems with new systems that come into place, but I think the Junior SuperSeries has the potential to be just as successful as the Seniors'.

And James, I know you don't think highly of the concept at the moment, but it is a step towards getting a group of juniors up to the level they will need to be at when they enter the senior grades, and I think that is something in itself. Besides, it is hard for you to be concerned about what happens in someone else's grade over a long period of time - I don't know where you're ranked in the senior series at the moment, and I'm not too bothered.

I know I care about the outcome of the junior league, and I am treating it seriously.

Show Profile  JD Posted: 9 May 2006, 12:38 AM  
What happened to the formation of the m17-20e grade anyway? it obviously didnt happen... why not?

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 9 May 2006, 12:43 AM  
Because no body presented a complete plan to NZOF.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 9 May 2006, 3:52 AM  
huh? you mean maptalk is not the real world?

Show Profile  James Posted: 9 May 2006, 9:54 AM  
just to make a clarification, i DO think the junior SS is a good idea.
i just feel that it hasn't been constructed in the best way possible (i guess this is where tane's example of implementing something early and then resolving problems as you go, would come in)
I think that having a junior series is an awesome stepping stone before enetering the elite grade.
I have commented on the topic of the 17-20e grade before. i think it is a shame that it hasnt come into fruition as yet, but i hope it does. I think that its implementation would be the backbone of the junior SS, and would ensure top quality competition amongst juniors.

I often look at how the aussie equivalent runs so well, and hope that some day soon NZ can match them. (cos we definately have the talent too)

and as for 'Nah' id be interested to know what ive said that makes me look like this wanker you talk of? and wonder why you even write on maptalk, because you dont sound like you know much about o-ing or its athletes. i think that you are possibly one of the biggest idiots to have ever posted on maptalk, and i think that you need to find sopmething else to you amuse yourself, computer geek. go try and find some friends

and simon i am very interested in the junior grades, i follow results closely and take note of performances. There wouldnt be many top NZ juniors that have not been coached by me at some stage of their o-ing career. hence for my support of the 17-20e grade form the word go as i think that it is the best way to help raise the profile of the sport for the juniors as well as creating one hell of a quality competition.

Show Profile  YeahYeahNah Posted: 9 May 2006, 10:41 AM  
yeah not your best work, Nah.

(whispers: you can do better than that! don't get lazy, don't be complacent. quality, not quantity. you know how it works; you've gotta aim high to *really* hit below the belt. come on, you can do it! maptalk needs you, maptalk wants you... you *know* what they're like - nasty little gossips who get their thrills vicariously through your venomous spitting and hissing. [gollum! golloum!] they neeeeeeeeeeeeeds us precious... yeeesssssss)

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz