maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Katoa Po

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 March 2006, 5:01 PM  
In one of the closest finishes since Ratpak member Phil Wood passed Jim Lewis on the final leg for the historic all-junior win, Karl Dravitzki passed both Auckland's Jaromir Svihovsky and Brent Edwards (Counties) on leg seven to claim another Katoa Po win for the Taranaki Turkeys. Auckland finished a minute and a half behind, Counties (who won last year) just two minutes later. Taranaki and Auckland are now equal on six wins in the main event.

Auckland did however bag the five-person category. The relay was run on "Huka" between the town and Mt Tauhara, not that far from the Ratpak victory in 1989. The 26th edition of the event attracted 30 teams.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 14 March 2006, 9:56 AM  
A history of the event (from 1981 to 2000) can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/taupo_oc/Katoa_Po.html

In 1989, Phil Wood won by 10 seconds. This close finish was actually
bettered by an even closer finish of 7 seconds in 1993 when Greg Barbour won.

This reminds me of the time I came second to Greg in the Winter Classic (Wayne Cretney memorial). After more than 2 hours running, Greg bet me by the huge margin of 1 second. As we finished from different directions I unfortunately did not see him until I was at the finish line.

And I always remember the time I came fourth in the New Zealand champs M21E when Peter Hill beat me by 1 second as well.

Being second sucks sometimes (our Teahan team came second in the 5-person relay) but it was also fun to compete well in tricky terrain with several other people all around me for most of the course and get some comfort from my team doing really well.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 16 March 2006, 4:53 AM  
Does anyone have any more photos from Katoa Po?

nothing is too big.. please email them to
mpea051 [at] ec.auckland.ac.nz

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz