maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Akatarawa Attack

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 January 2006, 7:08 AM  
80 mountainbikers attacked the Akatarawas on Saturday, armed only with a map. The excuse was the Akatarawa Attack, a MTB rogaine of 8 or 4 hours. Like a one-day version of the Cyclic Saga, but with a difference - an accurate map. The area was 100 rugged sq.km of native bush and pine forest between Upper Hutt and Kapiti, with logging roads old and new, pylon tracks, and motorcycle trails.

The 8hr class was won by Colin Slater and Barryn Westfield, a couple of Wellington adventure racers. The 4hr class by MTB pioneers Simon and Paul Kennett with John Randal. The area was used for a dual foot/MTB rogaine 10 years ago; Max Kerrison and Jason Markham turning up again this time.

Results and story on the MTBO or OHV website: www.mapsport.co.nz/hvoc/hvoc.html

This message was edited by Michael on 24 January 2006, 3:09 PM

This message was edited by Michael on 24 January 2006, 3:09 PM

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 January 2007, 12:19 PM  
Its on again in 2007, Sun 28 Jan. Almost entirely new area. Entries close 18 Jan. http://akattack.rhizome.net.nz/

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 10 January 2007, 12:57 PM  
Talking of mountainbiking, Michael, I read about Kate Rea being shot while mountain biking. Is she alright?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 January 2007, 4:31 AM  
Yes. Story on OHV website www.mapsport.co.nz/hvoc/hvoc.html It's probably gone now but there was coverage on stuff.co.nz. The next development will be when police are able to interview the gunman who is in hospital with his leg amputated following his capture.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 24 January 2007, 6:55 AM  
If anyone is short of a team mate for the 4 hour event, I am keen since I am going to be in Upper Hutt on Sunday.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 January 2007, 9:04 AM  
A hundred riders. NZ reps Marquita Gelderman and Craig Starnes. And back for the second time MTB pioneers Simon and Paul Kennett. List and detailed info for teams on http://akattack.rhizome.net.nz Send me your email address Mark as there's bound to be the odd dropout close to the day. The start this year is near Paraparaumu.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 January 2007, 5:24 PM  
MTB pioneer Simon Kennett and John Randal covered the map from Orange Hut in the Akatarawas to the outskirts of Paraparaumu to win the 8-hour section of the Akatarawa Attack MTB-rogaine yesterday. World-ranked Marquita Gelderman and Rob Garden were fourth. Forty riders took on the rugged bush tracks, and another 70 did the four-hour course. Full results on the event website akattack.rhizome.net.nz

Wellington orienteers with long memories might have been surprised to encounter "HAVOC Forest". Kapiti HAVOC's first colour map consisted of forest since logged, and farmland since planted. The former farmland is now in pristine orienteering condition, but is inaccessible to 2WD vehicles.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz