maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Event Clashes

Show Profile  addison Posted: 18 January 2006, 6:31 AM  
http://woa.wellington.net.nz/cal06.html

After looking at the above, it seems the AOA Champs and the Canterbury Champs are set for the same weekend. Please correct me if that is incorrect. It seems stupid to me that we double up larger events on certain weekends, and we then complain about not having enough large events! Sure Canterbury/Auckland are not going to be competing for the same general orienteering population, but for our top runners from CHCH they would surely want to go to a big event like the Auckland Champs?

Somehow having some sort of events strategic planning from the NZOF would help, if our clubs cannot sort out when to hold events without clashing on their own. Imagine the chaos if the host club of Nationals got to decide when to hold it - event clashes would be a common thing possibly. My personal opinion is we should set down some sort of plan (like has been in place in the past) for when events should be held.

This message was edited by Simon Addison on 18 January 2006, 1:41 PM

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 18 January 2006, 7:51 AM  
That info was from the NZOF event list from 2-3 months ago (and it still says that date).
In reality one or other event dates may have since been changed by the club running them.

On another note I see the Maptalk site says the CD Champs are in May, whereas the NZOF site says its in Nov.
Do I presume Maptalk info is correct as its more recent?

WOA builds up it's event list based on all of NZs major events and trys to spread out event types and locations etc, and include a reasonable build up to Nationals etc. Late changes to that major event timetable just stuffs our event scheduling.

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 18 January 2006, 10:16 AM  
The event listing on the NZOF website should be viewed as the official event listings for major events. The information comes straight from the NZOF Fixtures Officer who is notified by event organisers. Unfortunately as we see in such circumstances, the Maptalk Events database allows anyone to enter in event information. I don't think the information about the CD Champs on maptalk is correct.

The NZOF can't really do much about event clashes if organising clubs don't co-operate with each other. In my opinion one year's notification of a clash is certainly enough time for the organising clubs to realise a compromise is necesary. If the two clubs don't want to change, we can't use the NZOF as a scapegoat.

This message was edited by PaulS on 18 January 2006, 5:19 PM

Show Profile  addison Posted: 18 January 2006, 11:46 AM  
The CD Champs on NZOF site is incorrect Paul. The host club (Rotorua) has posted the event on the Maptalk Events, so I would presume they know what is happening better than anyone considering they are holding it!

Maptalk info is more correct, and more recent.

Show Profile  andrew b Posted: 19 January 2006, 3:01 AM  
The Auckland classic distance champs are now to be held on 23/24 September in Woodhill Forest. The official notification has been a bit slow as we were waiting on permission to use a new area on those dates.
Should be a nice lead up to the Australian Champs

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 16 February 2006, 11:44 AM  
Would someone from Rotorua like to tell us when the CD Champs are on?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 16 February 2006, 12:40 PM  
It's on maptalk events as 20 May 2006

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 February 2006, 12:44 AM  
And was added by the Rotorua Club who is hosting it, so it must be correct!

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 17 February 2006, 9:01 AM  
When did you 2 join ROC??

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 February 2006, 10:07 AM  
WTF?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 17 February 2006, 10:16 AM  
Well instead of bitch slapping each other let someone really answer

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 February 2006, 10:26 AM  
Where is this bitch slap? I cant seem to see it Greg.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz