maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

OrienteeringOnline

Show Profile  ursus Posted: 12 December 2005, 3:05 AM  
Hi!

After a year off http://www.orienteeringonline.net is back. We are now looking for NZ orienteers willing to help us making the site as good as possible. Are you interested to become a member of our team? Would you be willing to write a short (or a long) piece of news cca. once a week?

Feel free to write us and ask about the details to: ivannagy AT volja.net

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,
Ivan

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 December 2005, 7:22 AM  
I always enjoyed orienteeringonline and am pleased to see it back. They used to talk about fantastic limestone terrain in Slovenia, which interested me because you don't hear much about Slovenian orienteers.

I can confirm that the website is active with 9 postings this month. The latest "short interview with Niclas Jonasson" says "What would you like to get for Christmas? Some money for my traveling fund before going to New Zealand wouldn't be bad."

Show Profile  darren Posted: 21 December 2005, 8:32 AM  
yeah, niclas and a mate are cruising over for a couple of weeks, from the 29th - 17th of Jan.
they are thinking of going to Great Barrier for a few days, then heading down country, flying out of christchurch.
if anyone can point them in the direction of some good o maps down chch way let me know and i'll pass on your details. they are going to hire a car but would probably appreciate some good kiwi hospitality if anyone has some floor space.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 December 2005, 10:19 AM  
And (with apologies to Ivan) Orienteering Today has also ramped up its website and each day of the week has a brief report from a different part of the globe. On Mondays Rob Plowright (an Aussie who lives in Japan) writes about Asia, Australia and New Zealand.

www.orienteeringtoday.com

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 30 May 2006, 9:29 AM  
But both O-Today and O-Online website currency have dropped back. The OT site seems to have reverted to showing paper issue 2006/1 when I am awaiting, um, I dunno because I have lent them but should be later than #1. Is OT (with all its new "partnerships" this year) going the way of its predecessor O-Sport?

I haven't been able to raise a reply from CompassSport either. They have this endearing habit of just letting you go when your sub runs out, but not replying to mail is a new level of friendliness. The website says, "Award winning Photographer Ben Roberts has now uploaded 728 more photos..." so Ben, can you throw any light on this?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 30 May 2006, 9:39 AM  
Browsing the CompassSport site I see that the address I've been using, subscriptions@compasssport.co.uk will go to Christine Robinson. Whose affiliation is... SLOW.

Show Profile  ravinous Posted: 30 May 2006, 4:55 PM  
Dear Micheal,
The last mail I have received from you was a few months ago asking for books. I replied promptly - and for other maptalk readers information, we no longer sell books! It is not cost effective. People may know I took over CompassSport from the start of the year and we endeavour to reply to any mails as soon as we can. I have not received any mail from you since, to my knowledge. Suse Coon, the old owner/editor is on a long holiday and any mail sent to @CompassSport.com goes to her - people should try to use .co.uk! CompassSport is very much alive and kicking. It is now 52 pages of full colour and includes many more maps reproduced to a high quality. (Naturally I am biased) but I can highly recommend it!
Looking at the address lists, we have 2 paying subscribers in New Zealand and you, Micheal, are the only person whose sub has lapsed in recent times from NZ - which did so in FEB05. You can pay online with Paypal or send a Cheque in GBP or set up a Standing Order if you have a UK bank account. I also send a free copy to Mick Finn at the NZ magazine, and have yet to have a copy from him in return (maybe he is sending it to the old editors address?)
As regards Orienteering Today, I no longer work with the publication but can recommend a mail to Jan.skricka@orienteeringtoday.com who I am sure will be able to reply to your questions as quickly as he can. You should have had Issues 1 and 2 already this year if you are paid up.
Best Wishes,
Nick Barrable
www.CompassSport.co.uk
PS many will know South London Orienteers and Wayfarers (SLOW) as one of the biggest clubs in the UK and who did the bulk of the organising of the World Cup Races in the UK in May last year. Christine Robinson is actually a recent British Relay Champion so, yes she is and no she isn't, SLOW!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 30 May 2006, 6:48 PM  
Thanks for that Nick, I'll have another go. My recollection when it dawned on me in the middle of last year that CompassSport was no longer arriving was, this has happened to me before! So I wasn't in a hurry to do anything about renewing:-)) Until I noticed a new fresh website this year sometime.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 31 May 2006, 1:56 AM  
I am all paid up for my subscription for Orienteering Today and havent recieved anything either. Has anyone in NZ recieved a copy this year?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 31 May 2006, 2:38 AM  
i havent received OT lately either

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 31 May 2006, 7:26 AM  
Me neither

Show Profile  addison Posted: 1 June 2006, 1:48 AM  
An email from Jan which he asked me to post on here.... (got my 2nd edition yesterday)

Hello Simon,

The problem behind the huge delay with sending of issue 01/2006 was the sending with the Polish post, which we had to arrange after the Czech
post increased their prices on postage to foreign countries by 40%, and without any previous notice.

In terms of price, sending with Polish post was the only alternative
for us. Yet, as we all know, sending to overseas countries with them
did not work at all. New Zealand is not the only country where you haven’t got the issue 01/2006, which was published the first week of
April. 10 days ago I claimed this fact at the Polish post in Wroclaw
and they promised resending of issue 01/2006.

However, meanwhile I have decided to send issue 02/2006 with a priority mail from the Czech Republic (which was done last Friday and I would expect you shall get the issue any day now).

Also sending of the remaining issues of OT to overseas countries this
year will be done from the Czech Republic with priority mail, so I hope there will be no more problems.

I'm really sorry about the mailing problems of 01/2006, it really
sucks, but all I could do was to claim the bad service and arrange
alternative, though more expensive, posting from the Czech Republic.

Please inform all your friends in NZL about this, at least those you
know they are also subscribing to our magazine. Maybe it is worth to
publish this email on the Map Talk.

Please inform me, when the issue 02/2006 reaches your mailbox.

Greeting from Denmark where I'm at the moment to collect material for
pre-WOC 2006 report, which will be published in issue 03/2006 in the
second half of June.

With best regards,

Jan

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 1 June 2006, 3:00 AM  
wohoo. thanks simon

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 1 June 2006, 5:28 AM  
An excellent photo of Chris Forne on the cover.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 June 2006, 7:34 AM  
Issue 2006/1 of OT arrived normally as I recall. I thought I had received 2006/2 when I made the posting above and had lent it; and was expecting 2006/3. As we now know, we are only up to 2006/2. Jan, I received this on 1 June, with a handwritten address - thank you for all the effort this must have taken you:-))

Actually it was mainly the website that I was commenting on. I understand that overcoming problems with the magazine might be taking all the effort, but it was really good when there were almost daily postings from contributors all round the world.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 31 October 2006, 8:01 AM  
And in the on-again, off-again saga, the O-Online and Orienteering Today websites seem to be active again. Both had a 3-month gap, which in the case of OT began just a couple of days into the World Champs!

The reason for the O Today gap probably has something to do with business troubles for the paper magazine, arguably the best in the English-speaking world. They have announced (another) ownership change, to an organisation called Sport of Today based in Norway. The editor Jan Skricka is still one of the owners, and remains editor.

O-Online has always been more of an oily-rag operation and doesn't have a paper magazine. I think it's based in the intriguing country of Slovenia, which appears to have wonderful limestone terrain and is close to the European centre of action - worth a visit?

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz