maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

number of grades.

Show Profile  Rob G Posted: 21 September 2005, 5:23 AM  
The Auckland Champs entry form has 58 grades. If we had 200 grades we could all be first,and we could all win a certificate. We just need a grade each depending on our birthdays (Smith girls and other twins excepted)
What a joke this is, and most areas in NZ tend to do this. PLEASE give 10 year age groups for all red courses older than open grade,and male and female open B for the orange courses, and male and female open C for the yellow courses.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 21 September 2005, 5:49 AM  
Heres to that.

Could the NZOF via the technical committee make such a rationalisation of grades a requirement for A level events?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 21 September 2005, 5:54 AM  
If people are really worried the 5 year grade results, the results should be published with everyones year of brith (like most of overseas events) so you can work it out yourself if you want.

Show Profile  svendp Posted: 21 September 2005, 6:06 AM  
You are incorrect Rob. The Auckland Champs entry form has only
four grades, A,B,C and E

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 21 September 2005, 6:19 AM  
You are incorrect Svend. There are five (you forgot AS)

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 21 September 2005, 6:34 AM  
Rob, at the comittee meeting before the entry form for Auckland Champs was put out, the number of grades was discussed. And there were a few relatively good reason for having it the way it is. only thing is, i can't remember what they were...

I think something to do with the physical abilities of the older population, how a 60yr old and 69yr old, or 70yr old and 79yr old can't compete fairly at the same physical level (degenerating bodies/joints etc). The physical-ability gap is reduced with smaller grades, that was one point made (by senior members of the club).

There were another couple of reasons, but can't remember them. Take it to AOA for next year, or a remit to the AGM! Currently there's recommendations from the NZOF for the number of courses/grades, it is dependant on predicted numbers.

Does anyone know what happens with the grades for veteran harrier or athletics races?

How about instead of reducing the number of grades to force large fields we should try to promote the sport to make our current fields stronger??

Show Profile  Brenda Boghopper Posted: 21 September 2005, 6:35 AM  
I think you'll find that the CDOA, WOA and SI Champs have 10yr age classes this year. What is it about Auckland...

Show Profile  addison Posted: 21 September 2005, 11:21 AM  
Sounds to me like the AGM is going to be a very exciting affair.

Martin man up. Rob, if I run any area event or anything I will take it upon myself to make it 10year age groups. Action speaks louder than words some times.

Show Profile  Brenda Boghopper Posted: 21 September 2005, 11:27 AM  
Nuh. The AGM is a stage-managed affair. Look at last time, we had a strategic plan on the go and it could have had a good chew, but they just said "we've got all your comments, trust us to produce the sanitised version..."

Show Profile  addison Posted: 21 September 2005, 11:34 AM  
But this isnt a strategic plan, this is the battle of the bombays. AOA vs The rest. Lets just hope it doesnt fan out like the election and be a stalemate.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 30 October 2005, 5:08 AM  
I'm glad that most of NZ has accepted that there is NO EVIDENCE that age classes 35, 45, 55 or 65 would be disadvantaged competing with the age group below (21A in the case of 35). At least for events up to 200 people and probably for the nationals as well.

No-one has advanced any flaws in my 2004 analysis, which remains on the web at www.mapsport.co.nz/tenyear.html. The Auckland Championship is holding old against better competition and ran 5yr age classes. Here is an update of my analysis.

In the middle-distance all pairs of age groups ran on the same course, making 8 cases. The winner of the younger age class was faster in 2 cases, the older in 6.

In the long-distance only 4 pairs of age classes ran on the same course (why did they need a 13-course combination for 200 runners?) The winner of the younger age class was faster in 1 case and the older in 3. (In addition the winner of M50 is known to be over 55.)

With our small numbers (average finishers per class 4.3 and 4.5) 5-year age classes are ridiculous. Even in the men's classes, finishers averaged only 5.9 and 6. Even in the largest mens decade which might sustain real competition on a 5-year basis, look at the order of the results from the middle: 55/55/55/55/55/ 50/55/50/50/55/ 55/50/55/50/50/ 50/50/50/55

As to what to do about it, gossip around the results board talked about "remits". The only possible remit would be to make the current groupings which are GUIDELINES into REQUIREMENTS, and possibly to put the 10-year groupings into the 12- and 13-course lists for larger events. I think that would be heavy-handed as there may be circumstances for other variations to the groupings. I would rather carry on the campaign to persuade planners by good evidence, rather than by compulsion. Which is what I'm doing here.

Finally I repeat that I do recognise that we need to specially recognise our oldest competitors, and my suggestion goes only to 60/65.

This message was edited by Michael on 30 October 2005, 11:30 AM

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz