maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Micr-O

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 18 September 2005, 8:23 AM  
We had two micr-o controls at today's OY, and I loved it!

It was something different and put in an interesting challenge midway through the standard 100min OY. Penalty was 30sec instead of a loop.

A little hard to understand the penalties, I punched the wrong control, moved 10m and punched the correct one. Still dont know how it was scored. The SI box I punched at the second micr-o didnt work.. (and a few others were on their last legs, flashing but not beeping - battery change before Ak Champs?)

My verdict was a thumbs up to the concept overall, implemented well on the course and in decent areas of the map, just have to find a way to get it to work with technology, and the failure of technology.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 September 2005, 10:51 AM  
Good on the organisers. Did you have a map change to 1:5000 or so?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 18 September 2005, 11:07 AM  
Nope, just used the 1:10000. worked well, i dont see how a smaller scale would have made this demo any better.

The first micr-o control was between 4 & 5 (called A), the second between 6 & 7 (called B)

Talking to Dave Crofts afterwards, it took quite a bit of extra work to set up, choosing an appropriate area with another 6 control sites around it.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 September 2005, 12:46 PM  
It was good starter, and thanks AOC for giving it a go.
I'm not as excited as Martin is about how well it worked in the course though. I don't think it works well in the middle of a standard long course, esp when its only 1 at a time and 30 sec can easily be made up on the legs they were on. It was also not worth trying to figure out what was going on on a 1:10000 and seeing 7 controls appear(again faster just punching one and running though).
At least it is a start, and now have something to build on.

Show Profile  James Posted: 19 September 2005, 10:23 AM  
well i enjoyed the novelty of it, yes it was fun, and great to do something different! although i do feel it should be kept as a novel event rather than world champs, but cant do anything bout that now!
the event worked rather well, and did not require a map change as sufficient detail was able to be read.
In this example i dont feel that it really changed too much in the way we orienteer. eg. our first micr-o control was eastern reentrant. so you just go to the eastern most reentrant in the circle. I didnt feel you had to slow down too much, just read a little more detail as you would if you were on a technical map. the second control was probably the most contraversial aspect of micr-o. whereby there was a purple X marked on your map in the middle of the circle(not on a feature!) and we had to find the correct corrosponding control. Now i feel this was completely objective. when we are talking about some random spot in the middle of the forest, whos to say that the setter has a better idea where this 'middle of nowhere' is than me???
for instance i tried to use features near by to work out the exact placement of the control. Where i thought it should be, there was no control there! so in the end just had too choose one on offer!
For future micro-o events, i think it would work well if we eliminated this particular option. trouble is, it could be and probably will be used in WOC

Show Profile  addison Posted: 19 September 2005, 10:33 AM  
"Nope, just used the 1:10000. worked well, i dont see how a smaller scale would have made this demo any better."

The whole point is to make it more like WOC is going to be for those in your area who need practice. It surely would have made the demo better to have it at 1:5000 as WOC is going to be. Remember Martin the 6P's just ask Darren!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 September 2005, 12:28 PM  
James do you perhaps mean "completely SUBJECTIVE"??

I agree that middle of nowhere controls are completely against the principle of fairness. I think the micr-o rules are going to be examined before WOC and would think and hope this aspect will be given a swift axe.

Show Profile  James Posted: 19 September 2005, 2:39 PM  
opps...yip subjective
and simon, this was inception of micr-o wasnt in the orignal plan for the last OY and was put in to add some exposure to the concept.
yes in an ideal world, we would have it in a middle distance, rather than classic as well. plus more than just 2 micr-o controls......you could go on but theres no point! its great that auckalnd have attempted to include this new form of oreinteering into an event! there are going to be plenty of teething problems before we've mastered it.
instead of making negative comments to those who try and help the new form of o-ing why not be a little bit more supportive and constructive!
well done the organisers

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 20 September 2005, 12:25 AM  
World Champion makes his point....

http://tero1.free.fr/news/php/data/upimages/05_fc_relais_micro.gif

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 20 September 2005, 2:03 AM  
That message is pretty clear

Show Profile  addison Posted: 20 September 2005, 4:59 AM  
James, I was not being negative towards the Organisers attempts of supporing micr-o. I was just taking the piss out of the person that I quoted.

I congratulate organisers that go out of the way for the better of the sport and/or those who are doing it. All I can say is that I wish everyone does the same and looks at the bigger picture for our sport, rather than putting self interests first all the time.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 7 October 2005, 12:10 PM  
The IOF has just produced a pretty comprehensive training guide to the Micr-O concept. I found a copy of it via the Aussie High Performance website.

http://www.orienteering.asn.au/gfolder/Micr-O_training_guide_v1.pdf

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 18 October 2005, 8:09 PM  
http://www.woc2006.dk/news_gb.html

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 19 October 2005, 12:27 AM  
To save copying and pasting, all that says is Micr-O is out of next year's WOC due to the organisers/TV company not being able to find the money.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 19 October 2005, 1:56 AM  
What a useless bunch of nitwits they must be at the IOF.

All my secret micr-o training down the tube.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 19 October 2005, 2:21 AM  
What has the IOF got to do with it? They got it right by making a signed contract by 30 September a condition of including Micr-O in WOC.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz