maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

National team

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 15 September 2005, 1:39 AM  
Anyone like the name "Black Legends" or "Legend Blacks" for the national orienteering team?
The badminton association is apparently going soft on the name "Black Cocks" for their national teams, don't know why...Guess the pressure is on to have a media friendly name with Black in it tho.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 15 September 2005, 3:02 AM  
Perhaps they want a "big reputation"

Show Profile  James Posted: 15 September 2005, 3:20 AM  
i have a black singlet, saying i support the "O-blacks".
although i think this was from WOC 97.
Then theres the "pinestars"
but i personally dont like black legends or legend blacks.
but then i dont have any better ideas either

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 15 September 2005, 3:20 AM  
"O Blacks" all the way.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 15 September 2005, 3:54 AM  
yeah, o blacks is good, makes a nice warcry
go-ooo-o-blacks!

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 15 September 2005, 4:18 AM  
what about "black flags" - easy sponsorship opportunity
or "black standards" - for those years of mediocre performances (hopefully never to be used)
or "punch blacks" - good luck with this one
or "route blacks" - could make a lot of money on the website (subsidiary could be o blacks, o blacks, yes blacks, o god blacks, o o o blacks)
or "when should we have the nationals blacks"

+

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 15 September 2005, 5:00 AM  
NZ Navigators.

If we're going for sponsorhip, Black Forest. I'd rather be associated with a chocolate bar than a fly spray.

NZ Bushwhackers - get Luke and Butch for advertising
NZ Choice Routers

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 September 2005, 6:02 AM  
I like O Blacks. But we might choose to use a good name sparingly eg continue with another name for the ANZ test teams.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 15 September 2005, 7:10 AM  
Perhaps Bushranger-whackers for ANZ challenge

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 15 September 2005, 10:06 AM  
We should have something that signifies the way we want to race..that being fast, hard and accurate..

Bushwhackers is good, but how about something along the line of the redliners or hillmurderers, or slightly more geeky "thespeedymapreaders" (said really fast).

I would be tempted to never run for NZ ever again to avoid being called an "O Black"...How ridiculously try hard do we want to seem?

Pinestars is good to, although we could do a better logo than the star with the thumb up its butt.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 15 September 2005, 10:25 AM  
keep pinestars, and find a new name for the anz test challenge team if we really need a new name for something

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 22 September 2005, 4:33 AM  
How about the "Fern Routes" =)

If anything the current NZ uniform (which was by far the most distinctive and coolest at WOC), with it's nice clean black and white, makes me think of a North Island tomtit - probably no potential there for a team name.

Or, call me boring, but how about "the New Zealand Orienteers", and ignoring this peculiarly Australasian obsession with "naming" national sport teams. OK, teams like the All Blacks, Silver Ferns, Wallabies and Boomers have a certain aura about them (but how much is that to do with history rather than the name?), while the Tall Blacks has a certain cheekiness about it, others like the Black Ferns, Black Caps, Black Sox, Black Sticks, Cassowaries... smell of cuteness at best and desperation at worst. Interesting to note that NZ Soccer was trying to distance itself from the "All Whites" label a few years back after a few misunderstandings...

Show Profile  nick Posted: 22 September 2005, 4:59 AM  
Edmund:[dramatically] Or, as I shall be known from now on: The Black... Vegetable!

(Please, lets be very careful with this "Black Something" business.)

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 22 September 2005, 5:53 AM  
As it is quite a cerebral sport, I'm surprised that no one has picked "the Black Heads."

Show Profile  nick Posted: 22 September 2005, 6:58 AM  
lol !!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 22 September 2005, 6:58 AM  
If the rest of you apart from Simon weren't so skinny, we could be "the Black Puddings"

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz