maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Trials for Denmark??

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 20 August 2005, 5:31 PM  
Anyone heard about where/when they are

The first World Cup is on relevant terrain in Estonia in early May...would be good if they were before then...

Nationals???

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 23 August 2005, 9:28 PM  
Where would you like them?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 24 August 2005, 2:01 AM  
How about Waitangi Weekend and Nationals?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 24 August 2005, 3:00 AM  
How about relivant maps rather than weekends,Waitangi weekend if it goes ahead will not be A level events or relivant maps or relivant courses.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 24 August 2005, 3:21 AM  
relevant

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 24 August 2005, 3:36 AM  
sorry there is no spell checker on here

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 24 August 2005, 6:30 AM  
Where is there terrain in New Zealand that is relevant to Denmark?

JWOC trials for Lithuania should probably be considered sooner rather than later aswell - as there's no event over summer like the last two years. Waitangi weekend might be a good alternative perhaps??

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 24 August 2005, 7:32 AM  
Were this years trials A level events?

Holding the trials outside the superseries again, will diminish the importance of the superseries again.

I think Nationals will be reasonably relevant...and I don't really believe in the relevant stuff anyway...the best orienteers seem to do well regardless.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 24 August 2005, 7:59 AM  
OK Jamie would you want to run trails if Myself, Claire and Brent have set courses? I know I wouldn't as then I miss out, so I would pull out of course setting and well waitangi weekend might just not happen then.

Don't plan to have major things on events that are not confirmed yet.

This message was edited by Greg on 24 August 2005, 3:22 PM

Show Profile  DJ Posted: 24 August 2005, 10:13 AM  
I agree with Jamie, 'relevant' doesn't really matter.

More competition should be the emphasis.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 24 August 2005, 10:22 AM  
Jamie is right, the best orienteers seem to do well regardless of the terrain relevancy. This years trials were a shitload of work for a few dedicated people to organise and didn't really produce any surprises. The best orienteers came through as always.

I think the Nationals will be fine as long as a decent sprint can be arranged and we can ensure the maps and setting are up to scratch for trial standard. I guess its the Nationals so there will be an A grade contoller overseeing everything?
Are the Nationals WRE events?

Show Profile  James Posted: 24 August 2005, 10:40 AM  
Fact: the best orienteers do well regardless

Question: are the nationals map that far off the terrain in denmark anyway?

well none of the potential WOC candidates are setting nationals, so that seems fair, right greg?

Its nationals so it will be to a high standard.

plus i know a few elites who are knida keen to go to the european champs in may, so if trials are at nationals, that gives the elites time to organise themselves to get over there if selected. Plus this would allow elites enough time to have a peak for trials, then time to build up and peak again in august.

So nationals is looking good to me

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 24 August 2005, 12:27 PM  
while everybody is on the topic of trials and teams for future teams i think that now should be the time that jwoc 2007 is given some serious thought. That is going to be New Zealands next big chance to get a result that will be able to get some publicity for orienteering. maybe selecting a provisional team of 20 would be a good idea? That way people will be forced to start planning how they will reach the necesary standard by 2007. Im not speaking from experience of jwoc, but i kno that if i go i will want to have at least a year beforehand of preparation focussed on achieving a good result.

Show Profile  Keith Posted: 24 August 2005, 3:24 PM  
Nationals is using A grade controllers it has too. The classic and middle I think is using the 2 A grade controllers from Nelson. The sprint and relay is going to be using some controllers from christchurch I think. As far as I know they will not be WRE.

The Classic is on terraine similar to Waikiai, maybe better!!!???
The middle is on sand dune terranie (Big rabbit)
The sprint is in Victoria park in Picton - don't know much about it.
Relay - Whither hills, so lightning quick and easy.

Surely JWOC probably won't need a trial if NZOF policy is followed......

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 25 August 2005, 1:31 AM  
Nationals sounds good...

The classic in Denamrk will as always be tough and reward those that can orienteer smoothly and are tough runners...basically the harder and tougher the trial the better

The middle will be all about running hard and straight through terrain and being really precise into controls (10seconds is a mistake) so sand dunes preferably with a reasonable ammount of ground cover will be fine.

The sprint is a park race, so what is proposed sounds good...hopefully it would be mapped to sprint spec.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 25 August 2005, 6:25 AM  
I believe terrain does make a difference. From my memory I'm still yet to win an event in Woodhill Forest. Just you wait!
However Nationals sounds good to me.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz