maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Jukola - World's biggest relay!

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 17 June 2005, 12:43 AM  
This weekend is Jukola weekend in Finland - world's biggest relay with currently 1356 entered 7-man teams and 861 4-women teams in the Venla relay.

There will probably be some sort of live coverage - hopefully through some links here:
http://www.jukola2005.net/en/index.php

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 June 2005, 6:11 PM  
There Is Live Commentary from that page.

Need winamp, and it may seem in finish but there is English updates every couple of minutes.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 19 June 2005, 8:21 AM  
Go Carsten!

the commentry is great

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 19 June 2005, 8:43 AM  
5 Person race for 6th place incl Carsten with less than 4km left

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 19 June 2005, 8:48 AM  
Now a 3 person race for 6th incl Carsten - man this is awesome

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 19 June 2005, 8:49 AM  
The winner didn't know he was coming 1st

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 19 June 2005, 9:01 AM  
Congratulations to Carsten and his team OK Ravinen for coming 7th - what a close race.

This message was edited by Ellmo1769 on 19 June 2005, 6:18 PM

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 21 June 2005, 12:59 AM  
It was a really fun Jukola with great weather - sunny and hot which was much better to get Kaia up at 5am to watch Carsten in compared with 0 degree Tiomila! At least Kaia managed to sleep in the tent while I couldn't as I could hear the loudspeaker and was always wanting to check that Ravinen was still up there. It was so cool they repeated their 7th that they got at Tiomila - last night they got toasted on the ferry as the best Swedish old man's team, as most of them are over 35!

And I gave Carsten a bit of excitement watching my race as I managed to get into first place at the midpoint radio control. It was pretty cool to be leading Venla even if was for only 30 seconds! It was great up till then, I started out in 50th place about a minute and a half down and I felt really strong and I was just huning along past everyone and then whenever I got to the control circle people would be milling around and I'd just sneak into the control and out again. But then a couple of controls after the radio where it was reported I was leading my compass went haywire and kept swinging round like there was no fluid in it but it looked fine (I know this sounds like a madeup excuse but it was still doing it at the end and so Carsten is a witness to how dodgy it was!). I was running across a marsh with loads of branches in it and I couldn't really tell which way I was going. I came out on a track with Halden and Sodertalje and they continued but I wasn't sure where I was and my rule had been that I had to know where I was when I crossed line features so I ran down to a bend and then in. But my compass was still haywire and there wasn't much to read so I ended up missing the control and hitting another track. I decided I had to go up it until I intercepted the next leg so I could use the people coming out to get my direction. That worked but I'd lost about three minutes which was pretty disappointing and I really regretted not following the others but it had worked so much better doing my own navigation for the first part of the race. Then I just used the stream of people as direction for the rest of the race and read my way into the controls so that I ended up in 42nd place I think. I looked up the splits today and I had between 4th and 11th fastest on most of the first legs and then 700 and something on the one that I circumnavigated!

Oh well it's cool to be fit again and my technique feels like it's getting smooth again. The iron tablets must be working or maybe it's following Carsten round on his Japan training runs - up and down and up and down and up and down on the bluebery and grass covered hills across the road from us. They're all about 30-50m high and quite steep so after 90 minutes we've probably done something like 800m climb.

I'm hoping that I'm now fit enough to handle the Italy training camp thing next week. It's part of the Danish training centre thing they have every year. They book accommodation and organize everything and have a 3 week drop in training centre where you can come for as long as you like in the three week period. They usually do it in Sweden but in recognition of the hillyness of JWOC and WOC they're going to Italy. It's a pretty good idea as it should be hot and hilly so good training for Japan but the terrain is much nicer than your typical continental terrain. And being up in the Dolomites is a much nicer environment than your typical blackberry and nettly type of continental forest. And then after a week of training we're doing the Italian 5days so it will be cool to see the NZ JWOC team there!

If NZ had lots of money than the WOC team could do the same kind of thing and go to the forests north of Brisbane which Carsten says are really like Japan, that would be pretty hot and hilly and a nice place to be as well. But seeing that's probably unrealistic I guess you should just put too many clothes on and non-breathable, sweaty jackets and run up and down and up and down in some good soft terrain (like in the terrain not on tracks though the terrain!)

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 21 June 2005, 4:36 AM  
Hey Jenni, good to hear you are going well.

I'll be thinking of you guys in the Dolomites when I'm running around the Port Hills and Bottle Lake preparing for WOC! (I think we have one OY at Victoria Park before we head to Japan).

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 21 June 2005, 4:01 PM  
Route choices etc can be seen here: http://jukola.kyamk.fi/htbin/reitti.cgi?act=map&id=1&kieli=se

(change language in the top right-hand corner; needs java)

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 21 June 2005, 4:02 PM  
..that was the women's. Men's is here: http://jukola.kyamk.fi/htbin/reitti.cgi?act=map&id=2&kieli=en

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 23 June 2005, 5:43 AM  
Perhaps it was all those iron tablets that were affecting your compass Jenni!

Seriously though, leading Venla! Great stuff! Just give it 20 years for the legend to grow, and you'll have been leading for most of your leg . The more I hear about Jukola, the more it becomes the one Scandinavian race I absolutely HAVE to experience one day...

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz