Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Junior Superseries - Take 2

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 31 March 2005, 4:08 PM  
Hi all,

Here are the results so far for the very unofficial Junior Superseries"

http://www.geocities.com/centralmagic/juniorteam.html

Enjoy the results.

I took offence to Chris's earlier comments in another forum suggesting that Central Magic should be out developing elites. Elites come and go as they want to and I don’t really care if they do. Its all swings and roundabouts in the long-term.

Anyway a few of the Central Magic clan, take pride that our juniors are obliterating the juniors from across the strait. I acknowledge that the events so far have all been the North Island.

But where are your junior girls???
Just...
one W16A from the South Island
one W18A from the South Island
one W20A from the South Island, who now lives around the corner from me.

Come on, you have a million people to choose from. The future of the sport is the junior ranks. I think it is in our best interests to get these people along to major event rather than elites.

Older juniors should be competing against older juniors end of story. The current crop of juniors is the largest in a long time and the level of competition is great. When the current buldge of M/W16-18 get to 20's they should remain as a competitive group.

In previous years there has been a drive to get juniors running elites earlier, perhaps before their time. How many juniors have entered elites in the last 5 years and have stuck around to tell the tale. I can name perhaps 3 competitive people in M21E.

Andy

This message was edited by Andrew M on 31 March 2005, 11:09 PM

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 1 April 2005, 6:32 AM  
To all good juniors out there...listen to Andrews wise words!

Run your own grade, don't run up whether it be 18's, 20's or Elites (especially elites)- you've got plenty of years to get your asses whipped.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 1 April 2005, 6:52 AM  
Well Andrew, I disagree and stand by my comments.

Junior competitions are great and I fully support them, but top level competition at Elite level is also important (In my opinion, more important).

You say that the future of our sport is in the junior ranks, well I don't see much of a future for our current juniors if there is no Elite competition for them when they get older.

Yes, I agree that the South Island should do more to develop its juniors, but that's independent of developing the current elites. One does not exclude the other.

From your comments it appears you don't have much interest in the current teams or individuals competition:
> Elites come and go as they want to and I don’t really care if they do.
and
> The future of the sport is the junior ranks. I think it is in our best interests to get these people along to major event rather than elites.

Well thats fine, but don't take offence if others are keen to support and develop it.

Finally, regarding my comments of having older juniors in the super series, this was just a suggestion. I'm not saying they should compete in every super series event, but believe it would be good experience running the odd event, and help with the transition to Elites.

Chris

This message was edited by Chris Forne on 1 April 2005, 4:09 PM

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 1 April 2005, 10:27 AM  
Love your work Andrew.

Hey just a thought...and this is with the Elite super series too. I don't think we can include limited entry events in the super series unless we advertise to the wider competitors of how they can enter. eg, ANZ secondary schools challenge (how can non team members get be leading when they can't enter two events out of 10), and WOC trials?

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 1 April 2005, 10:42 AM  
Anyone can enter the WOC trials can't they?

Also just for the record, I think the idea of a Junior super series is a great idea.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 2 April 2005, 2:38 AM  
Is there rules about who can run WOC trials??

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 2 April 2005, 4:44 AM  
My point is not just the rules but also the advertising.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 2 April 2005, 10:58 AM  
Surely a trial must be open to anyone who wishes to trial. Does NZ have a WOC Selection Policy? (dont think we do). Therefore the trials must be open to anyone who wishes to 'trial'?

On that note people are welcome to stay at my place on the NW side of Hamilton for WOC trials. There is quite a bit of floor space and flat grass outside for camping. Email me if you require being picked up from the airport and I will see what I can do. The sooner I know the better. sja13 AT waikato.ac.nz

This message was edited by Simon Addison on 2 April 2005, 6:00 PM

Show Profile  Melissa Posted: 2 April 2005, 8:54 PM  
The Selection Policy can be found on the NZOF website. The actual document is here:
http://www.nzorienteering.com/nzof/policies/NZOF%20Selection%20%20Policy.rtf

I can't see anything about who is or isn't welcome at a trial, although if you're wishing to be selected obviously you must have filled out an availability form.
It might be that the selectors wish to have only the triallists at the event.

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 13 April 2005, 9:34 AM  
Im a junior and i think that if we get a chance to compete against elites it will be good for our orienteering. You may anihilate us in the classics, but in the sprint and short we can get a bit closer. I know i always compare myself to some of you guys when i o a sprint o at a big event.
Im running the woc trial and im still an m16, i have heard that marquita said it was ok for some juniors to run it unofficially

Show Profile  addison Posted: 13 April 2005, 11:19 AM  
I wouldnt be so sure on that Thomas. My personal belief is that anyone who wants to run in WOC Trials should be allowed to. But I if I am correct in thinking the only people that are allowed to do it is National Squad (+Other superseries runners) and the people going to JWOC. So I think its "ok for some juniors to run it unoffically" if they are doing JWOC.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 13 April 2005, 3:13 PM  
I don't know if the rules have changed, but I'm pretty sure that in the past you didn't have to be a member of the National Squad to make the team for WOC. I think Rob J made the team one year even though he wasn't a squad member. If this is still the case theoretically you are eligible for the team Thomas.
Tania ran her first WOC (Sweden 89) when she was 16 or 17.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 14 April 2005, 1:30 AM  
The WOC Trials are theoretically open to anyone and as this year's trial is actually a superseries event we really can't stop you. However, we will not be allowing any W65s or any M12s to run. There are practical time contraints, especially on the first day, and the event is being organised for a very specific purpose by rather reluctant organisers. If you normally run elite course in respectable times you are quite welcome. We do not want anyone who is going to take 4 hours to finish the classic (sorry, "long"). Capable juniors are also welcome as we recognise the benefits of the experience for those juniors - we may put some of the younger boys on the womens course depending on who enters. If you wish to enter, contact Michael Wood for an entry form michael.wood@mapsport.co.nz

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz