maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Best Orienteering Spots

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 25 November 2004, 3:40 AM  
I've recieved an email from a Canadian University student intending to study in NZ next year. He wants to know where the best club in NZ is. Of course, HBOC is, but there's no university here.

I told him Auckland. Best elite comp, event structure, and close proximity to Woodhill forest, and of course, arguably the best Uni in NZ.

What does every one else think is the best Club in NZ for this guy?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 25 November 2004, 4:22 AM  
I think PAPO is quite clearly...easy access to hills and maps from the university campus, unlike Akld. Weekly technique training and pack run. Friendly team atmosphere mixed with high level elite performance.

Your comments

Best elite competition in Akld....are you serious?
Best event stucture....yes
Close proximity to Woodhill...kind of
Best Uni in NZ...No Paul far from it.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 25 November 2004, 6:02 AM  
Are you suggesting that the elite competition in Chch is better than that in Dorkland?
They always put controls in the wrong places for the big races in Chch.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 25 November 2004, 7:41 AM  
Maybe we should have some kind of super series to find out which area has the best elites...

Looks like Auckland is winning to me... http://www.mapsport.co.nz/ss/ssresults.html

Sounds like the competition in the Auckland area will be even stronger next year too with a number of people moving up here.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 25 November 2004, 8:49 AM  
Go for an Auckland club. Choose one of the several Universities and Institutes to study at, and then choose one of the local clubs - not much point joining a club which isnt local.

Elite competition is definitely set to get even stronger next year. Weekly training is available for those who want it: 17 summer series events, intervals at the Domain, runs in the Waitakeres, fortnightly events during the 'winter season'. Plus 3 clubs to choose from.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 25 November 2004, 9:02 AM  
Fraser mate, as you well and truly know your argument is self defeating...which is the only team to ever win the superseries?

A number of people??? Bradshaw and McCarthy???...rumour actually has it there are more quality orienteers moving/returning to Christchurch (I'm not talking about myself).

You guys want to give the guy some good advice not let regional parochialism get in the way.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 25 November 2004, 12:32 PM  
Jamie how close are these so called maps to Christchurch?

Firstly you have to think what your main purpose is - uni or oing, if it is uni then you pick the best uni that suits you.

If it is oing then Auckland! There is more than 1 option there as well.

You are also forgeting me, I'll be somewhere around Albany next year

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 25 November 2004, 1:01 PM  
Auckland rulz, Christchurch sux

Show Profile  mark Posted: 26 November 2004, 12:38 AM  
Whose argument is self defeating?

You're trippin Jamie.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 26 November 2004, 1:20 AM  
Canterbury is the best university.

It's cheaper to live in Christchurch.

And I used to advise people that for orienteering it was best to live in Auckland but now with airfares so cheap I don't think so anymore. As Jamie says it is much easier to get good training in the evenings in Christchurch, easy to run up on the Port Hills or do technique training in Bottle Lake both within biking distance of most of Christchurch (and the hills are within running distance of where a lot of us live). I like to train in terrain at least three times a week (outside of actual events) - that's very easy here in Denmark, OK in Christchurch but a mission living in Auckland (By the way I think that the lack of terrain running strength is one of the biggest weaknesses of many NZ orienteers). There are very good quality maps within an hour's drive of Christchurch along with the Southern Alps for tramping or runs in the foothills. Then you can fly up to Auckland to run in Woodhill every now and then. Personally I get a bit same old, same old about Woodhill as it is, if I lved in Auckland I guess it would be worse (I remember someone in Christchurch asking me about the Oceania events and saying oh, is it just Woodhill again (I did say that there are going to be events on maps outside of Woodhill)). And from Christchurch it's possible to drive for a weekend to my favourite maps in New Zealand - Naseby and Waikaia.

And I've also heard the rumour that after August next year Christchurch might be the home of two orienteers formerly known as Macnuts.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 26 November 2004, 2:19 AM  
Otago is the best university.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 26 November 2004, 3:36 AM  
And Greg starts crying into his bowl of Honey Coated Macnuts as his team capitulates around him.

Wellington has the best nightlife, although a few of the pubs will be forced to close down after James leaves town.

This message was edited by Andrew M on 26 November 2004, 11:43 AM

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 26 November 2004, 5:49 AM  
Get over it Mark

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 26 November 2004, 8:06 AM  
I think you would find Hamilton is cheaper and has better night life (Headline from Waikato Times 'Aucklanders come to Town' story about Aucklanders coming to town on the weekends because its better/closer together and cheaper)

But for Oing it sux!

I can't see how you can complain about same old Woodhill, how big is the whole Woodhill area when you are comparing it to Bottle Lake, It depends where you live in Auckland (as well as Chirstchurch) to how close and easy it is for tearrin training. Waitaks, Hunuas whats the better thing about Port Hills?

As for Uni, every Uni in NZ is better than the others at something, it all depends on what you want to study.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 26 November 2004, 8:11 AM  
Plus no roads are ever closed because of snow around the Auckland Area in November!

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 26 November 2004, 1:25 PM  
In Christchurch from where I live I can bike to work, run up onto the Port Hills and bike to Bottle Lake. In Auckland I would have to drive (and not a 10 minute drive like in Christchurch) for at least one of them (work, hills or forest terrain).

But yes as far as competitions go Woodhill is much better than Bottle Lake but I can fly up for competitions 2 or 3 times a year and that's enough Woodhill competitions for me. What I want is to be able to easily train in the forest a oouple of evenings a week. Sure if I lived out near Rob, Marquita and Mark, Woodhill would fit that but for the kind of job I would like to have that commute would drive me mad - would I have any evening left to train anyway?

I really like the Waitakeres as well, maybe not so suited for going off-track as the Port Hills but it's really beautiful running in the forest there. But again I think I would have to get up pretty early to be able to run in the Waitakerers before work and then bike into university by 9am or even 10am.

Yes Auckland is definitely warmer than Christchurch and so I don't think Christchurch would suit everyone - but if you like fine, but cold, winter days (with great views of the snow covered mountains) then Christchurch will give you that. (Along with some good rain and snow storms as well!)

And yes it's a pity the Hawkes Bay dones't have a university because that might be a nice place to live - I like the maps there. I'm not sure how good it is for training in terrain from home though.

Actually when I've had enough of working at a university I've always thought I'd like to live near Motueka or Nelson somewhere - and spend two or three months a year in Sweden as well to get enough orienteering to last for the rest of the year!

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz