maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

A High Performance Startegy

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 9 September 2004, 5:13 AM  
That's what must have happened to Richard Bolt!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 September 2004, 8:04 AM  
Thanks for contribs so far, remember go easy on the how and concentrate on the what at present. Tickler: if its the one-in-a-million person who's going to win at JWOC or WOC, what are our goals while we're waiting for that person to come along, and after they've retired?

The boundaries of my job. It includes junior elites but not SS teams. It does not include rogaining; you don't have to be selected by your country to compete, and NZOF accepted a request from rogainers for lower event levies on the basis they didn't want many of the things the federation does. It does not include MTBO and I find that a little strange. It does not include veterans. There is still a coaching director position, and some of the suggestions might belong in the coaching plan.

Keep talking. Remember a training camp is not an end in itself unless we are looking for the World Training-Camp Champion:-))

Show Profile  A1 Posted: 9 September 2004, 10:25 AM  
Maybe a goal regarding say a top 10 (5) result in a WOC relay. This type of goal doesn't rely on a 1/1000000 runner, but rather having a team of people that are competitive at that level and therefore requires depth in the domestic elite competition - ie something that every elite runner will be contributing to somehow. Are there even going to be nz relay teams at this years WOC?

Show Profile  darren Posted: 9 September 2004, 10:56 AM  
I think the one in a million (I guess that means there's 3.5 -4 of them in NZ!) idea is a bit of a dream unless we get the talent scouts out into the schools and snap them up young. I worked teaching O in schools on and off for 8 years and I reckon I saw a few one in ten thousand kids.
There is an amazing amount of natural talent out there!
I only wish now that I wrote down a few names as most of these kids will by now be top athletes in other sports.

However, I don't really think that finding the talent is part of the HP Directors role, until they have proved themselves in the game. Its the clubs that need to find and nuture this talent! Can anyone really see that happening??

This message was edited by darren on 9 September 2004, 7:00 PM

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 9 September 2004, 12:43 PM  
A1>> Yes, there is a Mens team of Rob J., Greg B, & Michal G. No womens team as only Rachel & Claire are running.

The Australians have had a schools based talent finding system for years apparently - where they do stuff like measure kids etc. to find out who has Ian Thorpe flipper feet etc... They then recommend the kids focus on certain sports and follow it up with creating contacts to external (to school) clubs for the children.... It would obviously take a change in NZ government thinking etc. to see anything like that happen...

(I know this posting was a bit off topic...)

This message was edited by Alistair on 9 September 2004, 8:44 PM

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 10 September 2004, 5:06 AM  
I don't believe achieving top results at WOC requires a one-in-a-million talented junior. I think a reasonable number of people are capable of it if they train smartly enough and are given the right opportunities.

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 10 September 2004, 8:58 AM  
Whats the deal with this one in a million character? Here is a tip you "talent scouts" might find useful....

Last year while I was thinking of a training plan I decided to go and run with the schools cross country team. Running in packs is a good way to get fit but also have random chats. I was talking to them about oreinteering. Now this year I know a few of them said they would be interested in trying oreinteering and a 3 eventually turned up. They were all fit keen runners who said there werent enough hills and mud in normal cross country...

Well everyone knows theres lots of hills and mud in orienteering so they love it. Now the hard put is putting into their minds the theory. I basically gave them a map and said run for your lives and finish this. They all did it quite well. Some might say "natural talent".

So why not go down to your local school and instead of speaking to the whole school about the sport, go have a chat with the coach of the cross country team and set up a "training session" with him or her. Im sure they wont mind a change of scene, instead of running the same routes, you design a course for them to try...

It works

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 September 2004, 4:17 PM  
In my quest for performance goals, how suitable are the IOF rankings?

Theoretically these are performance numbers that can be achieved without going round the world, provided that a certain number of already-ranked orienteers run in order to calibrate the results. But in looking at the just-updated rankings, most of the kiwis don't have four results so the numbers are not indicative of their level. Are there still not enough WREs in this part of the world to provide four results in any 12-month period? Rob C you may be able to throw some light on it.

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 2 October 2004, 11:14 AM  
Winning the Aussie Sprint Champs is a great start.

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 2 October 2004, 11:36 AM  
go amber!

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz