maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Arto Rautiainen

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 16 May 2004, 11:08 PM  
On Friday morning Swedish orienteer Arto Rautiainen died while training in the forest. It is not known (yet) how or why he died.

For those of you who have known him will understand why this is such a big shock to the orienteering world. The world has lost not only a great orienteer but also a great musician, actor and father.

http://www.alternativet.nu/alternativet.asp?id=2934
http://www.ifkgbgol.nu/mer_nyhet.php?id=487

Show Profile  ericm Posted: 17 May 2004, 4:26 AM  
Thanks Al for passing on such sad news.

I did have the pleasure of knowing Arto. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met. I'm sure all the Aussie and NZ orienteers who knew him would agree and would be as shocked as I am over losing him at such a young age.

He certainly got a lot out of his 36 years. Probably a lot more than many who have been around a lot longer.

Eric

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 June 2004, 5:56 AM  
Is this the first "unexplained death" of a top-level orienteer since the cluster of deaths in Sweden in the (was it) the eighties? Was there ever a plausible explanation of those deaths?

And no doubt completely unconnected, the O-Map Yahoo-group reports the death of Hans Steinegger, the OCAD pioneer. No details of the circumstances. OCAD is so good that I don't know anyone making orienteering maps that DOESN'T use it. That's your memorial, Hans.

Show Profile  superOman Posted: 26 June 2004, 3:59 PM  
Straight from the OCAD website:

We regret to announce that Hans Steinegger, developer of OCAD, has passed away on Saturday, June 19, 2004.

Hans Steinegger and his partner Esthi Wenger participated in a club weekend of OLG Basel. After the fun relay on Saturday, Hans experienced a heart attack. Dr. Beat Hintermann (OLG Basel), the first-aid physician on hand, immediately began the resuscitation procedure, which was continued by the arriving ambulance crew and the Rega. Sadly, Hans Steinegger passed away.

A few years ago he has had heart surgery and hence a permanent latent risk remained. Hans, a Swiss Orienteering Federation (SOLV) honorary member, enthusiastically and successfully participated in orienteering races over the last weeks and months and had shown no indication of ill health.

The OCAD-Team will continue his work.

The church service will take place on Friday, June, 25, at 10 a.m. in the chapel of the cemetery Kirchmatt in Baar.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz