Show Profile  Magoo Posted: 13 April 2004, 3:55 AM  
Where can one find these? Who won?

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 13 April 2004, 4:23 AM  
www.nationals.orienteering.org.nz

or see Nic's summary of elite results under Events and Training heading

This message was edited by Jenni on 13 April 2004, 12:25 PM

Show Profile  Magoo Posted: 13 April 2004, 5:56 AM  
Hmmm - interesting results.

The Relays results show that the Relays have become a bit of a joke - I mean Rob J and Mark Lawson in the same team (!).

Why doesn't the NZOF run separate "Elite level" (e.g. 2 men, 1 woman say) and alongside them "Joe Average" relays? This would be much better competition for the elites, and leave a "Club" relay intact for the average club members among us.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 13 April 2004, 6:58 AM  
You mean Stu Barr and Mark Lawson! NorthWest could never afford the transfer fee for Rob J.

Show Profile  Magoo Posted: 13 April 2004, 7:16 AM  
Whoops, yes I meant Stu and Mark in the same team.

Then again, yourself (?) and Rob and the other AOC fella are a "stacked" combination also!!

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 13 April 2004, 7:24 AM  
When will the WOC and Aussie test match teams be announced?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 13 April 2004, 9:34 AM  
Unfortunately the convenor of selectors has hightailed off to Australia and will be back on Sunday. So presume sometime next week.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 13 April 2004, 1:13 PM  
Re: relays
See the discussion in the other thread on the format. I don't see it as making the relay a joke that Mark and Stu are in the same team - North West gets to reap the rewards of having the best M40 in the country in their club, not to mention the best M55 in the country. With the current criteria for what constitutes the broadest level of talent, they certainly looked on paper to be the best and they proved they were. PAPO has a year (or two?) until ACW might be able to fight for the honour of being the best M40?

As Jamie says, in the other thread (and John Robinson was keen on emphaising during the prize giving), it does seem like the format is a little heavily weighted against women ebing much use at the moment. I think my suggestion of giving the elite women a head start would help with that (as well as providing them with a better race - where they are not "following" the men out of the start) and maybe making it compulsory to have one woman in each team. This year I believe PAPO had the first team which included a women in it (fifth place overall - Roz Clayton running the middle leg). Again it would make team selection pretty tactically interesting.

Someone in PAPO commented to me as we were watching the first legs come in, "Isn't this exciting, I never realized orienteering could be so exciting". PAPO members are generally pretty admirable at showing an interest in their elites but the relay definitely heightened their awareness. I think the current format is great for making people aware of talent outside their own age group. I think, sadly, we would lose that if we went to age group classes.

Jamie: Good to hear you're home. Dougal and La were getting worried this morning after you hadn't arrive at your flat or at work after your epic tramping weekend with Dougal. We missed you at the Nationals...

Show Profile  ericm Posted: 18 April 2004, 1:56 AM  
Aussie Bushrangers test team was announced yesterday and will be posted tomorrow on the Aust HP website according to Ian Prosser

http://www.orienteering.asn.au/Highp/index.html

From what I can remember (I was too worried about listening for my own name for Europe races to pay very close attention) the men going to NZ are Adrian Jackson, Bruce Arthur, Craig Dufty, Ian Meyer, Reuben Smith, Rob Preston. Orla and Danielle are going in the womens, can't remeember the rest.

Should give you lot a tough time.

Eric

Show Profile  :D Posted: 18 April 2004, 4:08 PM  
Yeah, so what's planned for this lot of tests? I heard a rumour that there would be some training on the Friday before. Anyone want to train Thursday as well? And then there's the after-party, I promise to stay awake longer this year!
I also have no idea who's coming cause I was trying to catch a plane when they were announcing it, but I'll get it from the website and post it tomorrow for anyone interested.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 19 April 2004, 1:32 PM  
Fraser you should start up a novel thread for Jenni

Show Profile  Jose Posted: 20 April 2004, 2:23 AM  
Fraser you should start up a drivel thread for Greg

Show Profile  That Claire Girl Posted: 20 April 2004, 3:22 AM  
Can anyone tell me where I can find split results for the relays? The website appears to only have the final times, and winsplits does not feature the relay...

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 20 April 2004, 9:04 AM  
I'm hopefully getting the relay splits sent to me, so Claire or anyone else who wants them could either pester the right people at RK (but they're probably pestered out for the time being) or pass your e-addresses on to me (nic_gorman@yahoo.com.au) and if I DO get them I can pass them on

Show Profile  :D Posted: 22 April 2004, 8:31 AM  
Okay, here's our teams for the 'test match':
Women
Hanny Allston
Kathryn Ewels
Orla Murray
Anna Sheldon
Danielle Winslow
Men
Bruce Arthur
Craig Dufty
Adrian Jackson
Ian Meyer
Robert Preston
Reuben Smith
When is the NZ team announced??

Show Profile  :D Posted: 22 April 2004, 8:33 AM  
You can find out our squads for the Denmark WC and for WOC (and for the test) at http://www.orienteering.asn.au/Highp/index.html

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz