maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Embargoed Areas

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 25 February 2004, 9:27 AM  
I was just looking at the National O-Champs webpage and it says that...

All red kiwi maps, and currently unmapped coastal forest areas between Hokio Beach (on the coast west of Levin) and Wanganui are embargoed against use for orienteering or training from now until Easter 2004.

Now I know this has been on the website for several months, so hasn't changed recently, so:

Is Waitarere Forest Embargoed? And if so, how come Dune tune was allowed to be held there?

Chris

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 25 February 2004, 9:38 AM  
The Dune Tune maps are Hutt Valley maps, not Red Kiwis.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 25 February 2004, 10:44 AM  
Don't quote me but....

I think the only maps we can run/train on before Nationals are Kaikokupo (Wellington) and Harakeke (Wellington) and of course the maps used for the Dune Tune.

I'm not sure if there are any other maps which are relevent and available? Remember to ask for permission before wazzling on to the maps.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 26 February 2004, 5:30 AM  
Is it really relevant who owns which maps?

Everyone who ran the Dune Tune should be DSQed.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 26 February 2004, 8:39 AM  
if you read it carefully, the maps used were not under embargo:
"All red kiwi maps, and currently unmapped coastal forest areas"
yes, waitarere is between Hokio beach and wanganui, but it isnt a Red Kiwi map, and it is mapped!

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 27 February 2004, 5:15 AM  
Fancy wording ah.

I just think that if embargoed areas are to be treated seriously they should be made clear to everyone. And not just those people who know which clubs own which maps.

If there are only a few Red Kiwi maps, they should be individually listed. Alternatively there should be a link listing Red Kiwi maps so that people can find out what maps actually are embargoed.

Also, relavent training areas such as the Dune Tune maps which are not embargoed should be listed, along with any access conditions that may apply. The whole point of embargoed areas is to ensure that the competition is fair and that nobody gets an unfair advantage. Likewise maps of relavent terrain should be made freely available, not just to those individuals who ran there in the past.
In relation to this, I believe the Dune Tune event should have been mentioned on the National Championship webpages

Finally, thanks Andrew and other organises for a great Dune Tune event.

Chris

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 27 February 2004, 6:59 AM  
Those sneaky north islanders trying to get an unfair advantage again.

Unbelievable!

Who do they think they are?

When will they learn?

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 27 February 2004, 8:50 AM  
I heard a rumour that you might not be coming to the Nationals Jamie?

Not that this is the first year that this rumour has been circulated? Any truth to the claim Jamie?

This message was edited by Andrew M on 27 February 2004, 9:17 PM

Show Profile  Brenda Boghopper Posted: 1 March 2004, 5:51 AM  
Methinks Chris wants everything handed to him on a plate: a list of the Red Kiwis maps, a list of the not Red Kiwis maps, free maps for all, nationals to advertise the Dune Tune, and a list of relevant training areas with access conditions. Doesn't the national squad teach its members how to research for big competitions?

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 1 March 2004, 7:06 AM  
Why yes, that sounds pretty good.

Although I'm pretty happy to eat out of a bowl.

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 23 March 2004, 1:26 PM  
Funny thing out of it all is the dune tune event was seen by many, and advertised, as a training run in the lead up to nationals on similar terrain to nationals. anyone with any sense and who wants to do well at nationals would have come.... Tough luck for those who missed out because they couldnt be bothered (with exception of south islanders work commitments etc). the club ownership over maps is a bit of an issue though i admit because you would expect hutt valley to own hutt valley maps in the hutt valley area, not some beach an hour and a bit away.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz