maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Whats become of the roadie?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 27 October 2003, 4:17 PM  
This post will be edited as plans progress: keep checking it.

O.k latest plans...note that I'm still trying to get something good organised...Its reduced in scope and size, but I would really like an affirmation of whose keen to get together in a big group and travel round and camp together. Particularly if I make an effort to sort out the Naseby accomodation issue (Naseby accomodation issue sorted check below). So yeah email me orien_terror@hotmail.com and tell your friends to as well even if you have already expressed interest...cher

-Jan 2nd meet near Chch...camp beside lake in McKenzie Basin, perhaps Tekapo.

-Jan 3rd, Drive to Naseby over Danseys Pass, Orienteering!!! Campsite organised, out the back of the Wedderburn Tavern (15 minutes from Naseby...facilities provided...$5 per person per night for the nights of the 3rd/4th and 5th...right next to a great country pub with good meals etc...pretty good place for a sunset...Graeme Sydney country.

All bookings through me, orien_terror@hotmail.com ...this will be the place to be. Probably 20/30 spots available.

This will also be the location of the High Performance Hui on the 5th January.

Plenty of potential for further exploration of landscapes and pubs eg the famous 'Vulcan' in St Bathans.

-Jan 6th, Mt Ross, Then camp on beach near Dunedin...confirmed Purakanui, primo believe me, especially if sunny...

-Jan 7th, "A Day at the Beach", Purakanui...yep it will be good.

-Jan 8th, Cuttance Block, Camp??? TBA. Having recently got a job in Invercargil I might have a place we can stay...will have to wait a couple of weeks to see if its classy enough...still working on this...

-Jan 9th,rest around southland somewhere, maybe checkout Lake Manapouri, Camp: Waikiaia, DOC campsite..nice river etc

-Jan 10th Waikaia, Camp: Waikaia

-Jan 11th Overton, get outta here (apart from me!)

This message was edited by Jamie on 1 November 2003, 11:16 AM

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 28 October 2003, 4:34 AM  
Me, Claire, Neil, James, Bryn, Andrew and to be confirmed Brent are will arrive in Picton 30th, planning on being somewhere around Nelson for NY's massive camping ground with heaps of people to party with) Then planning on Traveling down, With high possiblity of going to Able Tasman for a night or 2. Thats our plans if anyone esle is keen for a roady start then.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 28 October 2003, 10:04 AM  
I enquired about getting some Camping Sites at Tahuna Beach just out of Nelson and the lady laughed at me. There havent been any free camping sites for the New Years period since the start of October.

Any other ideas or venues?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 28 October 2003, 1:44 PM  
Are you suggesting that we were going to book a site, with 800 sites and a hell of a lot more people do you think they are going to notice a couple of extra for NY's

Show Profile  James Posted: 31 October 2003, 6:02 AM  
we might be able to squeeze in unnoticed, but with my experience in camp grounds at new years, the security is bloody tough!!! with security bracelets to be worn by every one!!! well if we cant find accomadation at the beach or near by, we could just party all night!!!
anyways, about Abel Tasman.........i wreckon we should go there 30th & 31st dec, get the awesome training and beaches in before we trash our bodies with alcohol!!! so then we can recover on the 1st, start travelling on the night of the first or on the 2nd?? then tavel down the choice west coast, perhaps stopping for another cool run around nelson lakes or somewhere cool like that on the way down to chch?

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 31 October 2003, 9:23 AM  
Suggest you look at a road atlas before you go much further with your plans.
The first event is on the 3rd Carsten just told me. It's in Naseby which I guess if you drove directly from Nelson would take you around 8-9 hours. That would be along the scenic centre to Chch and boring east coast rather than along the choice west coast. Going along the west coast I don't think you'd go via Chch (but maybe you would go down to Greymouth and over Arthur's Pass and then along the east coast? ). The alternative would be to go all the way along the west coast past the glaciers and over Haast pass through Wanaka, Cromwell, Alexandra and up to Naseby. I imagine that's at least 12 hours driving from Nelson so you would have to leave on the 1st when you were still hungover and do 6 hours driving each day to get any chance to do something along the way. Maybe you're better to go back down the west coast when you might have a bit more time? Nelson lakes would just be off your best route from Nelson to either Westport or Chch and not be very long into your trip but definitely a nice place to do a run. Around 2-3 hours round the lake depending on how fast you want to run.

There's plenty of nice places to go for a run in the Lewis Pass if you do the centre-east route and lots if you do the west route as well - I won't try and list the best because Jamie would probably disagree with me.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 1 November 2003, 3:22 AM  
If I was you dudes...

On the first to get the crap out of my system I would do a mission up Mt Owen from the start of the Wangapeka track...I reckon about 8 hours up and down going hard on hungover legs, you don't know where I'm talking about...think Lord of the Rings episode 1..Gandalf falls and the remainder of the fellowship emereges from the mines of moria onto spectacular limestone landscape

Neil will show you the way we went there after the gathering 2000/2001

Then cruise down camp by lake rotoiti or somewhere...then meet up with the 'Unity' crew on the second near Chch...

Show Profile  Ã…sa Posted: 1 November 2003, 5:52 AM  
Me and my friend are keen on meeting more people before New Years anywhere. We'll be in Christchurch around Christmas and are then "free" to do whatever we want! So from 26th and onwards....

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 1 November 2003, 6:10 AM  
Jamie - the unity crew, are they camping near Christchurch (Tekapo maybe? Wouldn't really count it as near Christchurch but whatever) on the night of the 2nd? So then driving down to Naseby before the starts on Saturday the 3rd? I don't know what time the starts will be but won't they be 12 at the latest, that's quite a long way to drive to be ready to start oing at 12 on the 3rd? If it's a Superseries day I hope the Southerly Storm team members, at least, will be there a little bit earlier than 5 minutes before their start!

Would the area you're organizing be available on the night of the 2nd? That's when Carsten and I (and Carsten's brother and girlfriend and I guess members of my family) are looking for accommodation from.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 2 November 2003, 6:11 AM  
Tekapo to Naseby...about 3 hours max...away at 7.30 there at 10.30...I was under the impression it wasn't a superseries event?

Yep, I imagine so...would have to check...do you need to know right away? I think it would be fine...would be good to have you dudes along.

Go the Southerly Storm

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 2 November 2003, 7:42 AM  
(Taking a break from ocading, should really get out and do some more field work but it's blowing a gale)

away at 7.30

hmm you're an optimist, epsecially if the minibus has driven 7-8 hours the day before (Nelson Lakes-Tekapo?) but good to see the
positive side of you, Jamie

I was under the impression it wasn't a superseries event?

Just checked MJW's homepage and it says, Southern 6 day, days 1, 5 and 6.

would be good to have you dudes along.

Relieved we don't come in the Nick Barrbale category, I guess Carsten always makes up for me.

By the way congratulations on the DOC job although we'll be sad not to have you in Chch.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 4 November 2003, 2:57 AM  
Hey thanks for organising camping during the Naseby stage. You can include my van load of alsorans into the $5 a night scheme.

Cheers Andrew

Show Profile  Melissa Posted: 4 November 2003, 4:58 AM  
Jamie,
Can you include our carload (4 people) at the Wedderburn Tavern, for the 3rd/4th/5th. Also, any other accom you may be organising
Cheers, Mel

This message was edited by Melissa on 4 November 2003, 12:58 PM

Show Profile  addison Posted: 4 November 2003, 12:45 PM  
For something completely off the topic, some guys from the vic jnr team want to see the 'carnage hill' clip of paul... fraser have u still got it on the site? and if so whats the link...

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 5 November 2003, 1:18 AM  
Yes it is available at http://www.maptalk.co.nz/paul.mov.

Jamie, you better add Dom, Goodol, Stu and myself to the accommodation at Naseby too thanks.

Show Profile  AndrewT Posted: 24 November 2003, 4:23 AM  
Drugs ey....screw up everything.

For those interested, Alpine Unity has had a setback due to some of its organisers being part of a world drug ring that got smashed. The site says that the gig is still on, but I wouldnt hold my breath.

Nelson could be the goer for New Years after all.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz