maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

the missing championship

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 24 August 2003, 2:08 PM  
Here we go again...

Are you an Aucklander? Do you think (like me, and indeed the IOF) that "the Classic" is one of several equally valid disciplines in foot orienteering? Are you strongest in, or simply most prefer, the "middle distance" (previously short-O)?

If you answered yes to the first question and to either or both of the other questions, I hope you have been trying to find out from your area association where the 2003 Auckland middle distance championship is. This race has been going for quite a few years now, held in conjunction with the Auckland classic championship, and has usually been a good one. But this year the classic championship is being held over 2 days, on yes a 2 day weekend. If you were aiming to be an Auckland middle distance champion this year, then it looks like you are out of luck. And yet, the map name "Spaghetti Soup" implies a map with lots of intricate detail - ie better suited to a middle distance course than a classic in that fine navigation would be far more important than route choice...

So how did this happen? Was it a decision from the association to discontinue the middle distance championship? Or did the host club (the usually highly respectable NorthWest) not want to run it - and if so did they clear this with the AOA? And on what justification?

I work with treatened species. Based on the above situation and the Southern 6 days saga, I can see that the lesser spotted New Zealand middle distance and sprint race may need some professional attention...

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 24 August 2003, 11:23 PM  
Whos organising the AOC ? DOC??

Show Profile  Natalie Posted: 25 August 2003, 2:46 AM  
Now, the disappearance of the Short-O or Middle Distance is a phenomenon which puzzles me.

I struggle to understand the logic behind some serious double standards here. The all-important (and highly discussed) 105 min winning time is fiercely argued for on the basis of being necessary to prepare people for WOC Classics. Fair enough. But where then is the 30-40 min winning time race to prepare people for WOC Middle Distances??? Has NZ decided that we are going to focus on Classics and bag ourselves a WOC title?? I think not.

I personally have nothing against Classics, in fact I would really like to run both Classics and Short races, as I feel that the variety in skills needed to run different types of races keeps you sharp and enjoying your orienteering.

I say bring back the Short O.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 25 August 2003, 6:06 AM  
I can't speak for the selectors BB, but I'd guess the NZ sprint champs were taken into consideration in much the same way as the other NZ champs races were WOC team trials. Otherwise self-confessed long course masochist Chris "Forno" Forne might not have been chosen to run the shortest race at the worlds.

Anyway, Natalie has nicely summed up part of my concern, but its not just about elites and world champs preparation - I care about my orienteering too! And I can see a situation arising where we have a New Zealand championship in a couple of events (middle and sprint) that in most regions aren't actually competed in at any other time of the year. Wouldn't it strike you as a little odd if Beatrice Faumuina had to be content with throwing javellins at all the regional meets and didn't actually get her hands on a discus until the NZ champs?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 25 August 2003, 6:36 AM  
Just another reason not to go to the Auckland Champs.

Show Profile  Paul G Posted: 25 August 2003, 7:24 AM  
Thanks for raising the issue. We'll review our plans for the the Akld Champs and post a definitive response as soon as possible.
Cheers
Paul Gilkison
Pres NWOC

Show Profile  Natalie Posted: 25 August 2003, 7:54 AM  
I wouldn't go that far Simon, I like Short o's but I wouldn't go denying myself 2 days of great orienteering on some of the best maps in the country just because they were Classic races.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 25 August 2003, 9:55 AM  
Hmm came across wrong. I have bursary in a few weeks afterwards, so thats the reason why. I would love to go but yeah, when your dad is your chemistry teacher, a bit of pressure is added to the finely balanced equilibrium, favouring the side with the most gaseous particles.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 25 August 2003, 11:58 AM  
Greg Flynn.

Show Profile  maskofsomething Posted: 25 August 2003, 12:27 PM  
the park o u mean?

Show Profile  Paul G Posted: 25 August 2003, 3:14 PM  
When the NWOC Committee discussed options for the Auckland Championships 2003, we were looking to provide a format that would appeal to the majority; we did not want to hold a classic event on Sat 11 October to attract a small contingent from out of town, and risk losing them on the second day by only offering a Short O.

There are no criteria to which clubs are bound in holding these events, and in Auckland we have traditionally enjoyed leaving it to the host club to make the decision – you can look at the Bryan Teahan’s Orienteering Statistics web page to see how the format has varied over the years.

The 2003 Auckland Championships will follow the advertised form, although in response to the pleas for a shorter race, day 2 will be a Medium length rather than a Classic distance.

The combined time will still count for the championship.

I look forward to seeing you in October!

Paul Gilkison
Pres NWOC

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 25 August 2003, 3:26 PM  
Shouldn't something be done about this??

Who, what, when and how?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 26 August 2003, 2:16 AM  
Hank, Idiot: go back to the lounge, and leave the other discussions to people who care...

Show Profile  Melissa Posted: 29 August 2003, 9:43 AM  
quote:
When the NWOC Committee discussed options for the Auckland Championships 2003, we were looking to provide a format that would appeal to the majority; we did not want to hold a classic event on Sat 11 October to attract a small contingent from out of town, and risk losing them on the second day by only offering a Short O.

Does the Classic Event have to be on the first day?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 29 August 2003, 1:41 PM  
What is the average age of the NWOC committe, are they all in they same frame of mind as Bruce with value for dollor in terms of length?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 30 August 2003, 5:09 AM  
First of all, thanks Paul for your response. Now that entry forms have been out and about for a few weeks and the closing date is fast approaching, I wasn't really expecting any changes to be made this year, but instead highlight that non-classic races are valued by at least some of us (and it's not just elites, as I for one am anything but) and the absence of one that has been a regular feature over the last few years will be noticed. Also I was wondering how much leeway clubs have in deciding what Auckland titles are offered each year. It seems it's completely up to the clubs, which garauntees no continuity. Any Auckland region orienteers that are concerned about this should probably be going to the AOA to try and do something. You see (and the following is a mixture of rumour and hearsay, so apologies to everyone involved if I've heard wrong) I heard we almost had the same situation for the WOA champs this year, until WOA approached the host club and reminded them of the existence of a Wellington middle distance championship, that if they were not going to hold should at least inform WOA so that alternative arrangements could be made.

As for the implication that only classics are going to attract people to the event, maybe I'm in the minority in that (once work commitments are taken into account) I'll be choosing the races I travel to on the basis of VARIETY. So on what's been advertised, CD (2 classics and a sprint) and WOA (classic and middle) look more my kind of weekend. But I have travelled up to the Auckland champs for the last hmm I don't know, several years, and I don't recall any mass exodi once the classic was over and there was "only" the short/middle to go. Is the idea that shorter races are less attractive based on statistics or impressions?

I think it doesn't really help that in terms of venue usage and course setting, we're not yet seeing much difference other than length between classic, middle and sprint, but my understanding was that the different disciplines were also intended to highlight different technical skills. But that's a whole other discussion, other people will know far more than I on this subject, and most people will have stopped reading by now anyway....

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz