maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

JWOC2004

Show Profile  ericm Posted: 6 October 2003, 2:34 PM  
Opinion of an opinionated Aussie...

Why on earth would you want to run your JWOC trials in January? Any serious JWOC runner should be doing lots of training in January to build up fitness. And you want to enjoy this training without having to worry about performing in major races. Concentrate on the technical stuff as the season gets going at the end of summer. Otherwise you'll lose all enthusiasm to race before you even leave NZ.

In saying this, I'm not criticising the South Island races. It sounds like a great fun event, but don't make it a trial. Have your trials at easter and let people enjoy some no stress, hassle free training or orienteering comps in summer wherever they can (as long as they do lots of it).

Jamie, looks like I won't be coming to NZ in January. If I want to have a crack at WOC and World Cups (or APOC), I'll be saving my holidays. Congratulate those who give up summer o trips to work and save money and holidays to travel to Europe rather than hitting the beach. That seems to me to require just as much commitment as doing the training for Europe does.

Eric

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 7 October 2003, 7:11 AM  
The current JWOC policy states that teams must be named by the end of February. In order to do this we must have trials before the end of Feb. Two years ago we (the selectors) decided to use the Nationals at Easter instead as it was in mid March. You should have heard the crap we got from parents and coaches etc who were concerned that their precious darlings had two weeks less to source sponsorship!!!! Perhaps we don't need trials at all if the contendors are all reasonably proven. We'll make that decision at the end of October.

Show Profile  That Claire Girl Posted: 7 October 2003, 9:29 AM  
By the way, who is going for JWOC next year? All I know is myself for sure, and hopefully Martin Peat (although I have heard runour that you might not due to Uni next year Martin? I hope like hell this is only a rumour!). Is there anyone else going for it?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 7 October 2003, 9:38 AM  
Dear Simon and Martin,

I am a great admirer of both of your orienteering skills and personal qualities.

I am also completely unaware what JWOC trialling requirements have been published or will be enforced by Marquita.

What I am aware of though is policy. I live, breathe and sleep policy. The particular policy you refer to states that interim squads will be named after the area champs. I hope you both perform in these events and are named in the squad.

The policy then states a final trial will be held in February, and at this trial the standard is within 125% of an elite man. Unfortunately there are no elite races in February making this policy unworkable at a practical level, as was proven this year in rather friendly terrain.

The policy also says that a junior must be reasonably committed to the sport and possess appropriate demeanour as they will be representing New Zealand. (We have had problems with juniors not meeting this requirement in recent times and it will not happen again). Commitment is based on a juniors "active participation" in their squad. There will be a D-Squad camp held in conjunction with the six day and prospective juniors would be encouraged to attend.

It is true that the policy suggests "The location of any trial shall take into consideration where triallists are domiciled so that no major expense is incurred by triallists ", the drafting of this policy is perhaps a bit unfortunate as it perhaps falsely emphasises 'no major expense'. Selectors have only to 'take into consideration' such a factor and who are you guys to say they haven't done so? Other factors include quality of event, competition, terrain etc.

The selectors are under no obligation to have the trial halfway between south auckalnd and putaruru, although we would all like a return to Kawhia.

Good luck with your training

Show Profile  addison Posted: 7 October 2003, 10:11 AM  
I have put my name down, but am unsure.

Show Profile  AKLexpress Posted: 7 October 2003, 11:45 AM  
dont worry claire, thats just a rumour from someone... i'll be at uni next year but I've put my name down.

I won't be doing any of the area champs though because i've got school exams, NZEST exams and then Busary. There goes my next 2 months.

I'm still training - running and doing the summer series.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 7 October 2003, 12:08 PM  
Those good enough to make the JWOC team shouldn't have to worry about the trial. I was always under the assumption that the trial in Feb was only to find the top 6 if more than 6 applied and/or see if the borderline applicants were up to scratch (hence the use of the interim squad after area champs for the more than likelier). Whether or not this is how the selectors view it is up to them but from what Marquita said you all might know by the end of October meaning there is no need for tears over southern 6 day.

Ecmo you have very valid points but NZ does not share the same depth has Oz and we don't have people fighting for positions that why our policies are a little different.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 7 October 2003, 1:20 PM  
Rob was right. Gdansk, Poland 5-11 July 2004.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 9 October 2003, 1:04 PM  
So far I have Simon Addison, Martin Peat, Tim Renton and Andrew Whiteford on the list. If anyone else is planning on going, feel free to formally notify me.

Show Profile  AKLexpress Posted: 9 October 2003, 2:49 PM  
Claire, are you going?

Show Profile  That Claire Girl Posted: 11 October 2003, 4:18 AM  
I hope so! I have emailed Marquita now, so hopefully she has me on the list now...

Show Profile  Tim Posted: 20 October 2003, 8:03 AM  
Now that we know the location of JWOC next year, does anyone have any idea of the terrain in the area? Looking at the area in an atlas I noticed a couple of sandspits I also read somewhere that JWOC 1994 was in the area, does anyone know anymore?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 26 October 2003, 9:42 AM  
Didn't go to that part of Poland, but I beleive that the south Baltic coast would all be pretty sandy. If it's in older dunes away from the actual shore, big marshes might come in to play. I'm sure someone out there can come up with a more useful answer...

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 27 October 2003, 1:51 AM  
"The competition area, situated at 50-150 m.a.s.l., is typical seaside morraine terrain, rich in contour detail, covered by deciduous (beech) and mixed forest. Height differences up to 50 metres. The terrain has a relatively dense network of roads and paths and is mainly well and very well runnable."

I'm expecting old maps will be sent out with the first Bulletin when available.

Show Profile  bendover Posted: 27 October 2003, 12:02 PM  
for interested athletes, former british team orienteer Dave Godfree has posted maps of JWOC 94, poland, on the internet with his routes from all races, plus results.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/jwoc94/index.html

looks like good pre JWOC training could be had in south sweden/denmark for similar terrain.

This message was edited by bendover on 27 October 2003, 8:03 PM

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz