maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

The 105 min issue (again)

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 20 May 2003, 2:12 PM  
The question has come up again about the winning time of 105 min on course 1. I for 1 think this is bloody stupid. We have had numerous arguments put forward from people for it to be reduced (Bill Edwards for one and who is gona call him soft) and the same argument keeps coming back why we should have it - A few Elites wanted it so they could finish a WOC classic. How many of those Elites are still around and wanting to race a WOC?? I'm guessing none.

It has showed that 105 mins hasn't really done NZ any good, at least from a NZ event view with most races being a 1 man affair with alot of DNFs, how is this good for Oing in NZ. And at the last WOC the only mens classic qualifier was not in NZ running 105 mins races.

Another problem with 105 mins is that most of our maps are not big enough and we commonly end up doing multiple loops of the same course. Decreasing the quality of the race.

Going back to the WOC distance issue, how many of the elites that run in NZ are serious about competing in a WOC classic? Is it a perquisite to want to run a WOC classic to run an elite race in NZ? = NO then why should the races be subjected to 105mins (where just about everywhere else in the world they are 90 mins) just because people wanted to make races here training.

I think our quality of racing in NZ will actually go up if the winning time is reduced to 90 or even 95 (like OZ I think) I think the results will be alot closer and more interesting for the competitors.

For those that still want to do the 105 mins for WOC, well then train for it on your own accord, it should take a hell of alot more than just running 105 mins in a couple of major races a year.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 21 May 2003, 11:34 AM  
Bill's soft.

Edited by - Chris Forne on 21/05/2003 19:37:30

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 22 May 2003, 5:10 AM  
Orienteering isn't about proving who's the big tough southern man Chris. I believe the man you are calling soft is possibly one of the most experienced orienteers living in New Zealand at the moment. He has been to more world champs than you have been to New Zealand Champs! So perhaps you need a bit more respect for those who beat you in possibly the most physical race this year, the nationals classic!
I think you need to consider that we don't have to make orienteering classics longer as there is already ultra-long events and rogaines. You don't complain that a 5000m race is too short, you go and run a 10000m. It's the same with orienteering.
As for you Greg, I think you need to do some training!

Edited by - stu barr on 22/05/2003 13:11:31

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 22 May 2003, 7:20 AM  
Actually I don't really think this at all, and are just trying to stir you guys.
But I do enjoy classic races.

Chris

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 22 May 2003, 9:14 AM  
Sorry Darren oh I mean Stu, funny how a personal attack is ment to be an argument when there isn't a real one.

I'm not getting at wanting shorter races because of the training involved, the fact is that 105 mins is killing the Elite races, bugger all people are getting excited about turning up to events to have to run a 105 min race (apart from maybe Chris) and because of this how many people that use to train to compete competitively have fallen off the side because it is just too much.

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 22 May 2003, 10:20 AM  
I agree Greg and I know it is not the training that makes you want shorter races, I just think you need to train!!!

I think there is a place for 105 minute races. It just doesn't have to be every race.

I hope you and Chris don't think I am trying to attack you. This is the problem with a forum. Words are aggressive. I am only debating at a personal level, I mean no harm! I've got plenty of hugs here for when I see you guys again!

Show Profile  addison Posted: 22 May 2003, 10:27 AM  
Stu. Make sure I dont see that 'gay activity' going on. I have had enough of that for my lifetime. And no that doesnt mean what some of you are thinking. If you were at Parakai, no doubt you heard my story about those weird Asians. Im still buzzing out.

Also Greg. If you see this before tommorow. Was their spose to be any info sent out for CDSS Champs? Caus we have had nothing. And I think its quite slack. To have other schools ring us for info, and all we know is the road its on, is rather concerning to say the least.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 22 May 2003, 1:44 PM  
I think a couple of 105 minute races a year is ok. The rest should probably be 80-90 minute classics. Surely this would keep the people who run WOC and the rest happy. Maybe the Nationals and one or two others but not necessarily all the area champs.

And Greg - I've told you before you need to train more.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 22 May 2003, 2:34 PM  
more? is more on nothing something?

natural talent doesn't last for ever, ask Brent.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 22 May 2003, 3:30 PM  
Jamie > well he did come training with me at least once last year I seem to remember - so that's at least one day which qualifies my "more". But maybe you're right - he was a junior then...

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 22 May 2003, 4:38 PM  
I did enough to not DNF at the JWOC classic - twice!

Show Profile  mark Posted: 23 May 2003, 3:25 AM  
Stu's soft

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 23 May 2003, 6:14 AM  
I know where you live Mark.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 26 May 2003, 11:37 AM  
Just take the hint Greg

I wouldn't go judging yourself on my orienteering standards, that won't get you anywhere fast.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 26 May 2003, 1:53 PM  
Jamie is the man, he walked from rotorua to putaruru on the railway line at night.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 30 May 2003, 2:20 AM  
Continuing references to Jamie's DNFing at JWOCs are becoming a little unjustified and archaic.

What is important is the here and now, or perhaps what certain contributors to this forum were doing last weekend.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz