maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

20 years of maptalk.co.nz

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 18 January 2021, 12:28 AM  
Next month maptalk.co.nz will be 20 years old, but it seems like the site my have run its course and people have moved on. With no discussion for almost half a year it may be time to sunset the website. If anybody is still reading this then I will take any feedback into consideration before making a final decision.

Thanks,
Fraser

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 20 January 2021, 10:19 AM  
Hey Fraser

Regardless of the future of this webpage thanks for providing a platform for banter, serious discussions and even official stuff

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 23 January 2021, 3:04 AM  
Ahead of its time when it started... if this is it, then huge thanks to Fraser & team for the platform, and same to all the other denizens for the years of entertainment and occasional useful thread.

If however sparking this conversation reminds everyone of the value of one single place where we all hang out rather than being scattered across a million different social media, then Long Live Maptalk!! :-D

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 25 January 2021, 12:57 AM  
Cheers, Fraser, a visit to Maptalk was one of the first things I did when logging on each day for many, many years. Sad to see it unused, but life seems to have moved on. Thanks for being ahead of the game all those years ago.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 29 January 2021, 12:31 PM  
This site no longer is as active because the NZOF made a completely useless site that gets used even less.

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 30 January 2021, 3:07 AM  
Get things correct Greg - its ONZ :-p

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 9 February 2021, 1:44 PM  
Was it at the time?

Who ever they are, no one looks or posts anything on either site, and if you want to know when events are on, you actively have to go searching for them. No surprise that the best attended events for the past 3-4 years are the ones that have actually done some form of advertising rather than just hoping people to somehow know about the event and enter

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 February 2021, 1:36 PM  
Cheers Fraser for all the work over the years.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 20 February 2021, 1:38 PM  
It seems maptalk has run its course (pun intended).
Pity as attempts to create a forum in otherways have failed.
From what I can tell.. Nopesport (UK) and Attackpoint (US) seem to be still active.

I don't know what the answer is. The down side is that it can be hard to find out information about what other people / clubs are doing unless you have personal contacts.

Thanks Fraser for all the work to establish and maintain this forum over so many years.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 21 February 2021, 1:35 AM  
Thanks Fraser, what a fine orienteering communication platform Maptalk has been over the years.

Show Profile  davenev Posted: 14 June 2021, 9:03 AM  
I was hardly mapping for years but am again, with new Lidar. The other forums didn't seem to have much comment either....
Does anyone have ini parameters for Kartap. that will find rocks in raw data? :-)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 July 2021, 9:46 AM  
I too regret the changes, am I allowed to talk about "the good old days" when there was a recognised place to gather to ask questions thump the tub and exchange views?

On the one hand social media split the conversations into many; and good luck to anyone who can keep up with whatever the youth are using these days. And where ONZ could have concentrated discussion, its website introduced news, blog, groups and chats without any guidance, and then added separate mailchimp groups, and on top of that a Slack-based Ochat. That looked like further splintering things, but the traffic there suggests orienteers are just passing it by.

There are some things we cannot control. But we can thank Fraser for his initiative, a decade of lively discussion, and two decades of maintenance. Maptalk was a significant community.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 25 July 2021, 6:04 AM  
Thanks Fraser. You’re a legend mate.

I do wish this site was still active and NZOF hadn’t undermined it by taking the events away, just coming here reminds me of the good old internet days where online communities were more open and inclusive.

Can’t help but feel one day someone will invent something very similar to maptalk again.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 25 July 2021, 6:04 AM  
Thanks Fraser. You’re a legend mate.

I do wish this site was still active and NZOF hadn’t undermined it by taking the events away, just coming here reminds me of the good old internet days where online communities were more open and inclusive.

Can’t help but feel one day someone will invent something very similar to maptalk again.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 19 September 2021, 8:23 AM  
Thanks very much for all the messages.

The good news is that the server has now been upgraded and maptalk will keep running for the foreseeable future.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 22 September 2021, 2:25 PM  
Fraser, hope you are well mate and awesome to hear its still alive. Lets spread the word and bring MapTalk back!

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz