maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

So many ONZ trial events in 2020?

Show Profile  camd Posted: 5 October 2019, 5:51 PM  
Why are there 3 trial events for WOC next year? As someone who might be looking at trials for both WOC and WUOC, this means I have to attend 4 different weekends of trial events. How are we supposed to afford all of this travelling on top of the huge amount we have to spend to get to Europe as well? This is not a fair selection process.

Why can't we have just one (or max two) combined trials for all teams?

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 9 October 2019, 2:31 PM  
In my opinion if you want to have a good go at doing as well as you can at WOC/JWOC/WUOC you should be seeking out to go to as many orienteering events as you can, and especially events such as those that have been identied as trial. Also still just my personal opinion anyone who is in NZ, and doesn't go to our Nationals doesn't actually deserve to represent NZ! If you book flights now they are quite reasonable and it's great that Malcolm has made an effort to get everything organised and advertised early so people can make early travel plans.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 10 October 2019, 2:21 AM  
Agree Jenni. But early notice should be advertised across all age grades. Otherwise we end up with situations like what happened recently, where apparently local OYs were being used by selectors despite excellent performances by juniors at NZ Nationals.

Show Profile  HidingControls Posted: 11 October 2019, 1:05 AM  
Cam - Huge gap in the market for a weekend of coaching for those MW18s that fall outside the Juniors camp (to old) and the U23 camp (not quite elite).

$25 Limit it to 10 and you can run a day of Sprint Training and discussion and a day of forest training. They provide their own transport etc Increase the limit to 20 and get a assistant coach and there's the pair of you with Petrol for Nationals and Sprints.

But really do limit it to those MW18 falling in the gap, good Orienteers who who create the depth that keep the upper end honest and like taking scalps.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 11 October 2019, 4:29 AM  
Matt - we have recognised there is a huge gap at the moment between our two gaps and it is something which really concerns me and many others. We are working on it. I have put it as a discussion item for ONZ council's weekend meeting. I've pretty much said I'll organise it myself next year if we don't get it organised any other way.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 20 October 2019, 8:41 AM  
From the announcement: "As WOC in 2020 is a sprint WOC there will be an extended series of trials".

Curious as to why it requires an "extended series of trials". Is it because the results in sprint races are more volatile?

Show Profile  camd Posted: 2 December 2019, 12:18 PM  
Bringing this thread back now I have an idea of what I am doing next year. I agree with the principal of seeking out as many orienteering events as possible Jenni but the key there is possible. Personally I don't think it will be possible for me to miss work between Nationals and the second WOC trial which means I will be faced with flying up to Auckland on the Monday and back down to the Manawatu on Friday evening. Great, another $300 wasted. (Yes for those who don't know, WOC trialists have to run nationals in the Manawatu and then come back down to the Manawatu 4 days later for another trial weekend). Luckily I know now I can afford it (just) but that means missing Sprint the Bay (

Fraser speaks to a good point when he questions why a Sprint WOC requires an extended series of trials. In my opinion, sprint results tend to actually be far LESS volatile given that sprints are shorter, simpler and less prone to random incidents of chance or people getting an advantage by following. That's why in the past people have been happy with just one race (sprint at nationals) as a trial for WOC sprint/sprint relay. Not 7 races.

Given these trials are ultimately put on for our (the athletes) benefit, does any triallist out there for WOC and WUOC actually WANT to do 4 trial weekends??

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 6 December 2019, 6:54 AM  
A specific point - I just looked up airfares between Auckland and PN and as far as I could see it is possible to get a return flight with reasonable times, to get to and from the events, for around $100. I'm not sure what accommodation you're planning but it seems it is possible to do the trip for much less than $300. (This is Saturday morning rather than Friday evening which also saves another night accommodation). I think Malcolm would be willing to arrange the times for the trials so that it is possible to fly at reasonable (and cheaper) times, in on Saturday and out on Sunday. I've usually found that it is possible to stay and travel with others when attending events which makes it more economical.

I think there are 4 trial events - 1 at Lonely Mtn, 1 at NZ Champs and 2 at the dedicated trial weekend. This seems reasonable to me and comparable to the number of forest events which are usually used as trial races for jWOC or forest WOCs.

Personally I think the more practice the better and trials on unfamiliar maps simulate the pressure of WOC well and better than other events or trainings. I wouldn't describe the expense of travelling for events, which give preparation, as wasted money.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz