maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

3 Untimed legs in nationals sprint

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 4 June 2019, 4:37 AM  
Agree with Tane's last comment, and for the first QB sprint the publication of the map for the road crossing was a good move. Anyone who read the programme could see where the controls were placed on either side of the crossing. They could plan their race to read ahead their exit direction after the crossing, so they didn't need to check the map in the timed out section. Still not as good as a map change though, and didn't solve the issues of flow and bunching. It was also a bit frustrating with the results screens not showing the corrected results. It would be nice if there was a way to show the corrected times in O-Lynx.

Show Profile  camd Posted: 5 June 2019, 1:46 PM  
Three things stood out for me at Queens Birthday, first that the disparity between how long people had to wait at the road was huge - some of my competitors got 2 or 3 times the rest I did.

Secondly those who got longer rests invariably had the person behind them catch up and by running together got a big advantage.

Thirdly, it feels unfair, isn’t any fun, it ruins the race vibe and if I’m to be honest, it’s putting me off running sprints like this in the future.

I guess most of these problems effect more competitive/elite people (certainly I’ve heard plenty of people in 20/21E complain about these untimed sections) but surely therein lies the solution - make these road crossings timed just for elites?

Alternatively why don’t clubs just go back to using sprint maps which don’t require roads to be crossed? We have never had a problem with this until the last year. and if I’m to be honest, I would much rather prefer a simpler area used well then convoluted up courses with all these untimed sections...

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz