maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Nationals Relay Query

Show Profile  mogd001 - Matt Ogden Posted: 4 April 2019, 4:19 AM  
Hi, is there any rules against running for one club for individual races then for another for the relay at nationals - given being a member of both clubs?

Cheers,
Matt

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 5 April 2019, 12:53 AM  
Sounds legit. No rules against that. Just has to be a New Zealand club.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 5 April 2019, 6:40 AM  
Carsten and I discussed this last night. Carsten is used to rules in Scandinavia where you are only allowed to run for one club in a year (well actually you're allowed to change every half year so strictly 2) so he didn't think you should be able to run for two clubs at Nationals. But, as Fraser said, I don't think in NZ we have any rules against it. Obviously this means our national relays are open for abuse for a club making a super-club relay team where they buy a runner by paying the runner's sub so they can run in a relay for them. Whether it be because of integrity or club loyalty or the fact that no-one, except me, cares enough about relay results, I don't think ONZ's lack of a rule on this has been exploited before. My personal opinion is that people should be able to run for more than one club but they should have some link to the club, either, because it is their only club, they live in the region of the club or it is their "mother" club. Meaning that I, personally, think it's fine for you, Matt, to run for NWOC in the individual events and Nelson in the relay. I don't think Carsten agrees with me though.

Anyway Nelson haven't got a chance against PAPO's top team (which will probably include two Wellington "mother" club runners...)

And what about these options for PAPO 40s teams:

Aaron Prince, Sara Prince, Chris Forne and Matt Scott, Sarah Wright, Tim Wright

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 5 April 2019, 8:35 AM  
PS. I had nothing to do with this and I'm keeping out of it. It was his idea...

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 6 April 2019, 2:48 AM  
Isn't there something about primary club having to 'release' a runner to run for a secondary club that they're also a member of?

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 9 April 2019, 2:20 AM  
Never heard of that. No mention of it in the ONZ rules
https://www.orienteering.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/ONZ-FootO-Competition-Rules-as-at-2016.pdf

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 9 April 2019, 12:41 PM  
Most of my orienteering life I have belonged to more than one orienteering club at the same time with many times one club not having enough members to field a team in relays. As long as it isn't abused (by making a clayton's super team) and there are good reasons to belong to more than one club, I see no problem making relays more competitive.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz